How do i use cleaning cotton pellets?

I have used the cleaning pellets , all coated with JB's , shove em into the breech and shoot them out with a lead pellet,, remove moderator first, well to be honest I like wheel style magazines, not the wind-up ones,, like my Zbroia, or Taipan , or Weihrauch. I can load both a pellet and a felt in front of it , in the mags and shoot a whole mag or 2 of them pretty quick and easy,, heck no , I do not worry about the breech o-ring, if damaged , I can change it, IF damaged.
do some patches as follow ups to clean up

Pull through patches moistened with Ballistol is all I've ever used and works fine in most cases. If you have a gun that you have to resort to using a cleaning rod with a brush, it must have a pretty crappy barrel.
Sorry but I don't shoot smooth bore bb guns, my barrels have rifling that needs to be cleaned appropriately. Running a patch through with Ballistol is near a step above worthless. Does nothing to get the lead out of the rifling, nothing. Of course if you have a soda straw barrel that method might be great for YOU!

Most every barrel is removable. I’m from the school of if the barrel is removable then I throw it in a padded vice and take a Dewey bore rod to it with a scrub brush and mops, and using a mix of JB bore brite, break cleaner, goo gone, acetone, metal wax, and FP10.
All of this puts me at an hour to clean one barrel.

I will only do a pull thru using Airtanksplus pull through Boreman cleaner, and use his string mops that comes with it, if I just wanna do a quick clean before a sight in session. I know the barrel isn’t spotless, but it’s good enough for a sight in session.

But 99.9% of the time if I want thoroughly clean it gets the padded vice treatment

Ballistol is a wonderful cleaner/lubricant and can remove lead, problem is you need a brush to agitate the lead from the rifling. A dedicated lead remover is much more effective and time saving. Some of my guns the barrel gets removed and others not, using a high quality rod with a crown saver solves the issue most are concerned with. I have ran patches, the barrel will look like a mirror but will still have lead build up in the rifling and it can be difficult to see even with a bore scope. I can only share my own experience from both methods and what Ive been doing the past few years has worked far better. I think this mindset of airgun barrels being delicate is something that's been passed down, it's simply not true.

Reactions: pdxFrank
As some may know already, I am pretty new to this. I got my first PCP airgun just a few months ago. Before that it would take me an entire year to put 250 pellets through my Diana 54. Now I sometimes shoot 250 a day through my two PCP guns. It is interesting to see all the different cleaning methods that you guys use.

I am by no means trying to persuade anyone to use "my" method that I have used exclusively pretty much forever (Over 2 months now!), but I am pretty sure that I will never remove any airgun barrel to clean it as there is no need to do that to get down to absolutely bare metal. Also, I noticed that some airgun barrels can be made of VERY soft metals, which is another reason I don't use rigid cleaning rods with brass / bronze threaded end brushes, jags etc. unless it is absolutely necessary. Probably overthinking it......as usual. :unsure:

You can know instantly if there is still any lead in your barrel after a patch only cleaning session buy running a patch soaked in this through the bore:

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't shoot smooth bore bb guns, my barrels have rifling that needs to be cleaned appropriately. Running a patch through with Ballistol is near a step above worthless. Does nothing to get the lead out of the rifling, nothing. Of course if you have a soda straw barrel that method might be great for YOU!
If your barrel is leading up, then throw it out. I used to shoot BR with a RAW TM1000 and an LW polygonal barrel. Patch wetted with Ballistol, then dry patches between each target card made it spotless. You can scrub with brushes all you want but that won't cure a crappy barrel. I have a .177 FX barrel that leads up badly. Ballistol gets the lead out easily.

If your barrel is leading up, then throw it out. I used to shoot BR with a RAW TM1000 and an LW polygonal barrel. Patch wetted with Ballistol, then dry patches between each target card made it spotless. You can scrub with brushes all you want but that won't cure a crappy barrel. I have a .177 FX barrel that leads up badly. Ballistol gets the lead out easily.
Explains everything now, thanks for the chuckle. 😂

I have used the cleaning pellets , all coated with JB's , shove em into the breech and shoot them out with a lead pellet,, remove moderator first, well to be honest I like wheel style magazines, not the wind-up ones,, like my Zbroia, or Taipan , or Weihrauch. I can load both a pellet and a felt in front of it , in the mags and shoot a whole mag or 2 of them pretty quick and easy,, heck no , I do not worry about the breech o-ring, if damaged , I can change it, IF damaged.
do some patches as follow ups to clean up
Thank you. What are the JBs that you are coating with?

google JBs bore paste and buy from where you like, here is a link, one for paste and 1 for polish, there is 2 types

Reactions: Puppadore
Just curious if anyone uses finer grit metal polish like Flitz either along with the JBs or by itself with the cleaning pellets for polishing the bore? (Kind of like Fire Lapping as used in center fire guns.)

I am not sure I would try this method myself for fear of messing it up, but I found the entire video on the Sub12 Airgunners youtube channel very interesting. He uses a string with knots tied in it, coated with AutoSol to lap / polish out rough spots in a new barrel. Obviously using cleaning pellets would not allow you to lap out tight spots since they would lap the entire bore from front to back.

Last edited: