How do i use cleaning cotton pellets?

A quality rod with stiff nylon bore brush, lead remover and some patches until clean. Pulling patches through won't do much of anything, especially for the rifling.
Thank you Crosman999. This is what i do with my firearms, I also use bore snake for 1911’s for quick cleaning. A Youtube video from Guns of Arizona recommends pull throughs for cleaning in the direction of pellet travel only. So i thought cleaning rods shouldn’t be used on air rifles.

Is Ballistol good enough to clean barrels?

If the barrel is mounted I use these pellets from Tipton. Twist the cleaning pellet while you push the patchworm point thru the hole. I generally put on a single patch first then the felt, slide it down to the stop on the patch worm, add a small amount of Ballistol to the leading edge of the felt and pull it thru.
After that sets for 5 minutes I repeat the process and wait another 5 minutes then I run one dry felt on the patchworm by itself and follow up with several patches. I might repeat the process if I'm still getting a lot of dirty patches.

If the barrel has been removed I have a cleaning rod and omit the felt pellets.

Tipton Felt Cleaning.JPG

Cleaning pellets are worthless, pull through isn't much better imo.
Hello Crosman999

Is this just your personal opinion or do you have some hard scientific evidence?

The reason I ask is that here is an exact quote from my FX Crown MK II Owners Manual:
“We recommend that you use cleaning pellets occasionally.”

Thank you,
ThomasT

Reactions: Geezerhood
Hello Crosman999

Is this just your personal opinion or do you have some hard scientific evidence?

The reason I ask is that here is an exact quote from my FX Crown MK II Owners Manual:

Thank you,
ThomasT
The only reason that instruction would be included is to save the rifle from damage by the most incompetent owners, who might attempt cleaning in an improper manner. As for scientific evidence, how about looking down a fouled bore after shooting these through it? If there is lead fouling present, it will still be there.
As for the instruction of using a pull through in the direction of pellet travel only, kind of the same thing I would guess. They don't want someone to pull through from muzzle to breech for fear of dumping stuff down the transfer port. And depending on exactly what is being pulled through, there might be a greater risk of crown damage by pulling through in that direction. And there is no reason a rod cannot be used, if done properly, which usually means you need the barrel off the rifle, and any muzzle attachment removed.

The best use I have come up with for cleaning pellets is culling the gecko's that crap all over my front porch. I use a Beeman P17 pistol and cleaning pellets. Keeps me from smoking them with a damage causing pellet......ask my how I know. hahaha
Interesting. The cleaning pellets I have shot would not have the accuracy to hit a target that size. Unless I was so close the air alone would kill'em! I've blown apart carpenter bees that way, very effective.

Hello Crosman999

Thank you,
ThomasT
I guess they work well as spit wads out of a soda straw eh?

Interesting. The cleaning pellets I have shot would not have the accuracy to hit a target that size. Unless I was so close the air alone would kill'em! I've blown apart carpenter bees that way, very effective.
2-3' at the most. They are little crappy lizard creatures, unlike the one in the GEICO commercials. They hide in lighting fixtures and cracks and crap all over at night. Makes soft cleaning pellets ideal.

The best use I have come up with for cleaning pellets is culling the gecko's that crap all over my front porch. I use a Beeman P17 pistol and cleaning pellets. Keeps me from smoking them with a damage causing pellet......ask my how I know. hahaha
Yup, same thing here for large house flies. If I keep missing with the cleaning pellets I just walk up and blast them with the CO2:devilish:

A quality rod with stiff nylon bore brush, lead remover and some patches until clean. Pulling patches through won't do much of anything, especially for the rifling.
Pull through patches moistened with Ballistol is all I've ever used and works fine in most cases. If you have a gun that you have to resort to using a cleaning rod with a brush, it must have a pretty crappy barrel.

In most cases, pull through patches with Balistol do an excellent job at cleaning out the lead and lead oxide fouling. Letting it soak in Balistol as mentioned helps with heavier fouling. If I don't clean it for a long shot string, Lead Out removes all lead fouling quickly with just patches.

The only way I can use a cleaning rod on my Factor RC or my Prod that I know of is to remove the barrel or use a slotted tip on the cleaning rod. A nylon brush pushed in from the muzzle is not going to come back out very easily and might get seriously stuck in there, as it won't exit the chamber area to reverse the direction of the bristle "slant". I try to avoid removing my barrels if I can. That is why I prefer a pull through, but on the both guns, it has to be inserted from the muzzle and pulled out the chamber end, otherwise it is very difficult to impossible to get it to exit the muzzle end of the shroud.