Tuning How do I Minimize ES (extreme spread) when tuning an Avenger?

I am tuning my new 22 Avenger. I am trying to tune for shot count. I am pressurizing the gun to 300 bar. I have the regulator set at 1100/1200. I have had the hammer tension set from zero turns to two turns. I am shooting Crosman CPHP, 14.3 pellets. I have seen an ES of 20 or so for these kinds of shot counts. What do I need to do to improve mine? Can I improve mine?

The steady decline in velocity indicates the regulator has a somewhat poor input regulation.

It also suggests you have too much hammer spring tension. How far do you have to back off it before the velocity begins to fall?

What you want to do is find the maximum velocity and then back off of the HST until the velocity falls to about 95 - 97% of that maximum. In doing so, that will minimize the influence of the declining output pressure.

Oh, and hopefully someone can confirm the regulator operates properly at that low of a setpoint. If memory serves, the examples I’ve seen were all set higher.

His reg seems to be responding to his tank pressure at all HS settings. It’s like his gun kinda has a reg. I wonder if the reg will respond better at a higher set point due to its design. Or lack there of. The 300b fill might not be doing a cheap reg any favors either.

Regulator set at 1400 psi

FC938F91-FB24-4EBC-89BE-4B304D1BFA83.1611143317.jpeg

I believe you’re going to have to try 1500 and possibly 1600 on the reg with the HS set at one turn. I think that gun might come with a big spring for the guys who want a high reg setting to push heavy stuff fast. I still agree with Nervoustrig, your showing symptoms of too much hammer strike or a junky reg. In this power hungry world, I’m leaning towards hammer strike. Turn that reg up and see.

See how the average velocity for all 3 strings is roughly the same, despite the varying amounts (turns) of hammer spring tension? That is the big tell.

If you can’t reduce the hammer spring tension enough to see the velocity drop off, you will have to address that somehow. Either by clipping coils, using a weaker spring, or by increasing the regulator’s setpoint high enough that it comes into proportion with how hard the valve stem is getting smacked.