• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How do I measure my ft lb

Reactions: silvershooter589
If it's a calculation you think you'll need more than twice, my recommendation is go ahead and plug the equation into a spreadsheet. I put all kinds of common calculations into a spreadsheet that stays open all the time...so quick and convenient to use.

FPE spreadsheet.gif

Until we have a fpe legal limit in the United States, I don’t give two craps about fpe. My guns shoot X grain projectiles X fps. No need to do senseless math and backwards math.
Or the simple method, gun goes poof, hole in paper or hole in ...insert critter here...critter becomes a subject in a picture next to your gun. Yeah, it's another offshoot of the rabbit hole as we all attempt to emulate PB's with a puff of air.

Or the simple method, gun goes poof, hole in paper or hole in ...insert critter here...critter becomes a subject in a picture next to your gun. Yeah, it's another offshoot of the rabbit hole as we all attempt to emulate PB's with a puff of air.
Don’t forget about the scopes “eye box or pupil diameter”. You need to have all the data to come up with an accurate summation.

Reactions: HogKiller
Until we have a fpe legal limit in the United States, I don’t give two craps about fpe. My guns shoot X grain projectiles X fps. No need to do senseless math and backwards math.
Mainly trying to compare two air guns and also one of them has a power adjustment so I wanna see if medium is good for squirrel or if I need to stay on high

Thanks all, which chrono is affordable and works decent?
I recommend reading the following thread. In it you’ll see a variety of opinions and things to consider regarding operation, ease of use, cost, reliability, etc.

In it you’ll also see my take which is that despite having two other more expensive and fully-featured chronographs, the one I use the most is an inexpensive (~$35) clamp-on.

Thanks all, which chrono is affordable and works decent?
I've had an FX Chrono since they came out. Pair it with a smart phone or tablet and you're all set. Attach to you barrel about 3" behind the muzzle (I used velcro tape for my setup) or find a way to place it beside and you're all set. And yes - I hook it right on the barrel - I don't shoot for groups when I'm tuning.

Don't care how fast you're slinging them either?
Of course I do. How fast or slow you’re slinging are important numbers for tuning and ballistic data. FPE in our wimpy guns is not. It’s too vague. If you and I have the same gun and you want to know where I found the best results, would you like me to reply I found my best results at 78fpe? Then you have to start guessing what I’m shooting. Am I shooting 43gr at 900 or a 32gr at 1,050fps. To me it’s just vague lazy talk. The only time I would concern myself with FPE is if I would be taking body shots on big game with a big bore.

Of course I do. How fast or slow you’re slinging are important numbers for tuning and ballistic data. FPE in our wimpy guns is not. It’s too vague. If you and I have the same gun and you want to know where I found the best results, would you like me to reply I found my best results at 78fpe? Then you have to start guessing what I’m shooting. Am I shooting 43gr at 900 or a 32gr at 1,050fps. To me it’s just vague lazy talk. The only time I would concern myself with FPE is if I would be taking body shots on big game with a big bore.
A lot of the forum members use their airguns in competition. Many of the various types of airgun competitions have FPE limits. Usually maximum FPE, but sometimes minimum. FPE is a critical number when working on a tune for those uses.

Reactions: maxtrouble