• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How do I make a backyard friendly pellet stop.

I used a old file cabinet

IMG_6605.jpg

I use a 12 inch section of a large diameter softwood log (like white pine) as a target butt, pin a target to it and shoot into the end grain.

I attach 3 legs to the log to raise it to a convenient height.

They last quite a while. When the log gets too shot up I split it and reclaim the lumps of lead for making jigs and sinkers.

I use a wall of logs as the safety backstop but the target butts collect the lead.

View attachment 335547

I also use logs. But I split mine in half to have two flat faces and turn them upright. Works fantastic. And it's FREE...at least for anyone with a chainsaw.

Got sick of the rubber mulch making a mess. I did use that for quite a while, though.

Duct seal that was stuck on a spinner:
EA6C73B1-3F21-40AE-8633-7D5C6EA44CD0.jpeg

Pellets removed and pressed back into shape for another round:

7DA15525-1633-4FE5-865A-CA937ED3D6B6.jpeg

I have some bolts in the center of my spinners to hold the putty. They still spin - just more slowly! If it’s above 60 degrees (making the putty soft) it is barely audible at 25 yards.

I’ve used the same $20 block for 2 years, recycling as shown in the pics. I have a batch of ten, use them in the day and repair after dark.

Another big plus is the lack of clean up, because every pellet gets stuck. But best of all, nobody can spot a target in your yard. You can slap a chunk on a tree branch or a grey rock in the yard and it’s invisible. Mold it into whatever shape you like. Like this angry cat/mouse hybrid:
C24359D7-B39E-4866-9413-BF31E1892CDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Fine , what is it made of , compressed straw ?
I think that type may be filled with Kapoc(pillow stuffing). I’ve seen homemade archery targets made out of big dog food bags and stuffed with it. Stops arrows no problem. I just fill a 24x24x4 cardboard box with old clothes and rags. Tested my new chronograph into it today in my garage from 3ft. I’m going to make another one with the Kapoc a see how that works. It should be substantially lighter. I’ll report back on how it turns out.

Reactions: aldea6 and Nattboy
So … as I promised, here is what has happened with my Kapoc stuffed target box. I got two pillows from Big Lots for $6ea and stuck them in a box that they fit side by side in. My Artemis P15 .177 made a few full pass throughs shooting 10.5’s at just under 900fps from 25yds. A 10 shot group pulled a lead filled bubble out of the back of the box. I am going to pick up two more pillows and stuff it tighter. I think that may be the ticket. If that works I have a quiet, effective pell stop for $25.

So … as I promised, here is what has happened with my Kapoc stuffed target box. I got two pillows from Big Lots for $6ea and stuck them in a box that they fit side by side in. My Artemis P15 .177 made a few full pass throughs shooting 10.5’s at just under 900fps from 25yds. A 10 shot group pulled a lead filled bubble out of the back of the box. I am going to pick up two more pillows and stuff it tighter. I think that may be the ticket. If that works I have a quiet, effective pell stop for $25.
at that power (18.4 FPE ) you might put several thickness of cut blankets in back of the pillows might stop pass thru's , that is a lot of power for a backyard .

Reactions: bivy53
My target is simple and free. I also live in a city. I use an empty box, roughly 14" x 12" x 12" and stuff it with old clothes. It stops my .177 and .22 pellets very effectively and is very quiet. Once the face gets shot up, I tape it up with duct tape so that pellets don't start falling out in my yard.
I do the same thing works extremely well and is cheap. I have a .25 so in spite of also having a 3/4" plywood backer, pellets will go straight through it if I don't hit the target. But it's short range so that doesn't really happen.

I am wanting to shoot my air guns more in my back yard but I live in a fairly populated area. How can I make a backstop or pellet trap that won’t make a ton of noise and be able to stop my pellets completely. I would just shoot metal targets but I feel like the pinging of the pellets hitting the metal every few days would become annoying for the neighbors.
This is a very easy Stop to make P V C a piece of # 10 Steel 12 X 14 , Carpet same size , Cardboard to hold printed Targets that you Design
from printedtargets.net I have one that I have shot at least 12,000 times Lead Pellets just fall down

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Reactions: tibor and darylm
I found a used BBQ Grill someone left on the curb. It's not the round tripod grill, but the rectangular gas grill with lid. I just lined it with old clothing and put cardboard in front with a round pizza tray from the Dollar Store. By the way, the Dollar Store is a target store to me. Army men, hair spray cans, etc. So many cool targets for a dollar !

i have a couple of target boxes.
1 for under 50fpe and the other for up to 120fpe or higher.

Both are simple wooden boxes i made up, the 50fpe and under has a 3/4" plywood back with 35lbs of duct seal in it, Very quiet set up

The "Big Gun" box is the same same construction but has an additional 1/4" thick steel plate in front of the 3/4" plywood , then the 35lbs of duct seal.

For the " Oop's / wild flyer " issue the last backstop behind the wooden target boxes, various spinners, and FT steels, is a 6' x 8' double thick used semi-truck mudflap wall

All works very well, Overkill? , maybe, but cheaper than a damn lawyer.... 👀 ✌️