• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How do I make a backyard friendly pellet stop.

I agree in a suburban area a larger backstop, a friend in IL built a 7 foot tall 7 foot wide flower vines trellis and put 3/4 inch ply on the back . looks nice and stops <12 fpe pellets , he does set out the mulch/tub targets in front as targets .
Indeed. I have a 4'x4' section of 2x12s behind my buckets, with a stack of 8" oak logs in between. Stops any pass thru on critters, I usually bait the pests and nuisance animals over to the logs. Saves me from pass thru and having to hunt down the bodies.

Reactions: beerthief
I wish I could remember the YouTubers name. He shows a trap he made in I believe a taipan mutant video. He took a plastic tote and filled it with mulch. He used a slightly heavier duty tote than you might get at Walmart. I saw one yesterday at Home Depot. They are made out of a little heavier plastic. Anyway he filled the tote with rubber mulch. Then he cut a square piece out of the center of the lid. He then takes cardboard cut out squares and attached his targets to the cardboard. Then takes the cardboard and places on top of the mulch in a manner that will align it with the hole in the lid. When he puts the lid back on it holds the cardboard and targets. Then you stand it up on end and good to go. I thought it was a really neat idea. I will try to find the video.

Here. Much better than my explanation. Lol

Duct seal putty is very good and can be stuck on anything including spinners. A one inch thick chunk will stop anything up to 100fpe and is almost silent. A 5lb bag is around $20 at HD and can be used for years if you pick out the projectiles. I haven’t found anything quieter.
+1

It is the quietest...but depending on how much is needed, it can get spendy quick.

I stuff pellet tins with this stuff and put pasties on em--does the trick when I'm not wanting to ring the steel in the yard

I wish I could remember the YouTubers name. He shows a trap he made in I believe a taipan mutant video. He took a plastic tote and filled it with mulch. He used a slightly heavier duty tote than you might get at Walmart. I saw one yesterday at Home Depot. They are made out of a little heavier plastic. Anyway he filled the tote with rubber mulch. Then he cut a square piece out of the center of the lid. He then takes cardboard cut out squares and attached his targets to the cardboard. Then takes the cardboard and places on top of the mulch in a manner that will align it with the hole in the lid. When he puts the lid back on it holds the cardboard and targets. Then you stand it up on end and good to go. I thought it was a really neat idea. I will try to find the video.

Here. Much better than my explanation. Lol

That's what I do except I use carpet instead of cardboard. Holds up much better.

Reactions: Trucker3573
02F13ECA-7554-40D0-B41A-682D655BD8B3.jpeg
63B94A8A-115C-441A-8B09-839A41FC8E8D.jpeg
C0125579-8CB7-4409-AE18-36274CB26DB3.jpeg
627C2086-F849-421B-A3C7-AB9394887A89.jpeg

just tossing this out there to spur up ideas. I own two types of steel traps that utilize duct seal. One is a NEMA 10 x 10 electrical pull box with a 1/4” plate face frame to further protect the electrical box from 30 cal Ammo, then I went over to a full 1/4” plate box that weighs close to 60 lbs when stuffed with 7 lbs of duct seal. That is used mainly now for chronograph work inside the garage at 3’ shoot distances.

For actual target shooting I resorted to the rubber mulch buckets and so far they’ve worked out the best as it checks the boxes on best portability, weather safe, and easier to clean out the shot up lesd. Ive made 5 of these so at anytime one gets shot up and full I can just grab another, or as of late I’m using one at 50 yards and one at a hundred

A9F1695A-B090-4392-91CF-7B37C9172963.jpeg
EDA531A7-7982-401D-A773-F5A9853E8042.jpeg
56DB78C4-EADF-4FB8-B034-B44124AF2D23.png

I got away from using magnets to hold the targets as that got expensive to replace after awhile and now use nylon alligator clips

Reactions: oledawg and qball
I am wanting to shoot my air guns more in my back yard but I live in a fairly populated area. How can I make a backstop or pellet trap that won’t make a ton of noise and be able to stop my pellets completely. I would just shoot metal targets but I feel like the pinging of the pellets hitting the metal every few days would become annoying for the neighbors.
Look up Big Bang Pellet Trap on this forum, neat design and reasonable or the rubber mulch works great.

I'm on my third pellet trap. I found a breaker box in my shed a little bigger than 8.5x11 and several inches deep. I screwed 3/4 inch square blocks of wood to two sides to staple cardboard to. I fasten targets to the cardboard. I fill the box with rubber mulch. At the top of the box the breaker box is dented in a few places because the mulch slumped and a pellet hit the back. But nothing has come out. My most powerful PCP is about 40 fpe. I have a stand made of a scrap of 4x4 post that is fastened by a base and weighted by an old brake rotor. I have patio squares at 10 yard intervals to put the stand on.

The noise of what the stops the pellet is not terribly important. The pellet hitting a paper target is about 85db. Cardboard is the same. Only thing much quieter is foam. I dampened the noise by making a structure of steel tubing and putting towels over that. I can reduce noise about 6db doing this but I don't do it often.

I also shoot at a home made "know your limits" target and it is sometimes noisier than shooting a target but not every time. Not sure why it varies so much.

Cheap easy way is to get a tote with a snap lid. Fill with rubber mulch. Cut the target area out of the lid and place corrugated plastic between the lid and mulch. If you leave the lid intact the pellet hitting it is pretty loud. You can pick up corrugated plastic from those annoying signs on the side of the road since election time is over.

In one of my older target boxes, I used mud flaps cut on a band saw, with an air gap to aluminum plate (old sign of some sort). The flaps not only dramatically slowed down the pellets, they lasted about forever. It's important to cut them, so they dissipate the impact energy by moving slightly. I think a solid mud flap might actually cause a ricochet. I got this idea from the old yellow forum. I would have kept using this box, but even with a few coats of paint, the OSB board swelled and fell apart after a winter.

View attachment 333852
I like it. I’m going to make one for my basement. I think I’ll hang a second slit mat about an inch behind the front one with slits offset from the front slit.
Nice job.

So Simple: Old rugs, got them hanging between posts and a t-bar.I flatten some large cardboard boxes and stable and tape them to rugs then staple or tape target to cardboard;depending how many rugs you use for backup you can be good for a loooong time...I also have large yard trash bags to cover if it rains...
What, no pictures?

View attachment 333889View attachment 333890View attachment 333891View attachment 333892
just tossing this out there to spur up ideas. I own two types of steel traps that utilize duct seal. One is a NEMA 10 x 10 electrical pull box with a 1/4” plate face frame to further protect the electrical box from 30 cal Ammo, then I went over to a full 1/4” plate box that weighs close to 60 lbs when stuffed with 7 lbs of duct seal. That is used mainly now for chronograph work inside the garage at 3’ shoot distances.

For actual target shooting I resorted to the rubber mulch buckets and so far they’ve worked out the best as it checks the boxes on best portability, weather safe, and easier to clean out the shot up lesd. Ive made 5 of these so at anytime one gets shot up and full I can just grab another, or as of late I’m using one at 50 yards and one at a hundred

View attachment 333895View attachment 333897View attachment 333898
I got away from using magnets to hold the targets as that got expensive to replace after awhile and now use nylon alligator clips
This is Awesome!!!

Reactions: Bigragu