• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

How do I get started?

Hey fellow airgunners.
I'm interested in getting started with NRL22. What do I need to get started? Can I do this on my own in my back yard. I live on a flood plane with nothing around.
The equipment I'm using is KaliburGun Cricket 2 with a Arken SH4 GEN 2 scope. I have sandbags as well is a bi-pod mounted. I have a cleared space to shoot anywhere from 20yd to 90yd. My current shooting range is around 60yds and my Zero in target area is around 25yds. I have some questions but really looking for guidance on how to get started.

Some questions:
  • What kinds of targets should I be focusing on at what distance? Where can I get some? What are they called?
  • How many shots per target? What kind of grouping is ideal?
  • What is the optimum FPS I should target on my chronograp. My gun likes to shoot at around 840-870fps seems to be the sweet spot for 18gr pellets. Should I go lower or a bit higher? Should I try heavier pellet?
  • Good Pellets or Slugs? I find anything more than 65 yds the cheap pellets have a bit more flyaways and harder to get tighter groupings. Slugs are pretty pricy. Is sticking with pellets ok?
  • What other questions should I be asking. Dont know what I dont know.

Reactions: Allroundhunter
Hey fellow airgunners.
I'm interested in getting started with NRL22. What do I need to get started? Can I do this on my own in my back yard. I live on a flood plane with nothing around.
The equipment I'm using is KaliburGun Cricket 2 with a Arken SH4 GEN 2 scope. I have sandbags as well is a bi-pod mounted. I have a cleared space to shoot anywhere from 20yd to 90yd. My current shooting range is around 60yds and my Zero in target area is around 25yds. I have some questions but really looking for guidance on how to get started.

Some questions:
  • What kinds of targets should I be focusing on at what distance? Where can I get some? What are they called?
  • How many shots per target? What kind of grouping is ideal?
  • What is the optimum FPS I should target on my chronograp. My gun likes to shoot at around 840-870fps seems to be the sweet spot for 18gr pellets. Should I go lower or a bit higher? Should I try heavier pellet?
  • Good Pellets or Slugs? I find anything more than 65 yds the cheap pellets have a bit more flyaways and harder to get tighter groupings. Slugs are pretty pricy. Is sticking with pellets ok?
  • What other questions should I be asking. Dont know what I dont know.
Hi friend hope your well you can download targets from the internet and what do you want the gun for?

Find a match close to you and go shoot it . Don't expect to do great, but listen and ask questions, soak in everything .
You will learn more in the match than you could in 3 months of reading.

Absolutely this. But do read up at least on safety rules for NRL22 and the match location before you go. You should have a chamber flag. Heck, our last two matches we've had people show up and not shoot too, just to see what it's all about.

If you can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards and 1/4"-1/2" at 50 yards, you are fine for accuracy. The trick is shooting that accurately off of your knees, or standing bent over at the waist, or off the back of a folding chair. Groups only matter when testing ammo, there isn't a place on the score card where you put your group size.

For targets, I would start with 1", 2" and 3" spinners. Then a KYL rack. For props, a 6 foot A frame ladder, a 55 gallon barrel, a 5 gallon bucket, a folding chair and a couple of old tires should get you going. NRL site has plans if you want to build a tank trap, pyramid and roof top.

For ammo choice, that's up to what your gun likes. But bear in mind, almost all of the other shooters will be throwing 40 grain bullets at 1050 fps. Anything you can do to throw heavy projectiles as quickly as you can accurately will help with the wind, which is going to be the biggest issue you will face. Most people zero at 50 yards for rimfire matches, but if you are shooting lower velocities you might need to zero at 35 to keep from dialing or holding under. Or maybe that doesn't matter to you, which is fine. Scope management is one of the trickier aspects of this game. Are you dialing or holding over? Or both? If you dial to your first target at 65 yards and hold over on a 93 yard target, did you remember to write down your hold over minus what you dialed? This is a specific example because it still stings when I did it wrong and looked like a fool hitting a foot low on a bunch of targets. Dialing is better, but sometimes I hold over to save time but then I forget to actually hold over and then it's all I can think about on the drive home. I'm trying to commit to either dialing or holding over for a stage, not mixing.

And a mag that holds at least 12 rounds is helpful.

So step one, get your equipment around MOA accuracy.
Step two, get yourself around MOA accuracy by learning how to get steady from a variety of positions.
Step three, figure out how to read the wind and how to shoot the wind that you are reading.
Step four, don't trip getting on the podium.

Go to NRL22.com and go to the download page, look at the stages and see what size targets you need. Typically at 100 yards the targets will be around 3" so if you can get your rifle to do that you are fine. Closer you will typically have a KYL rack with a .25" target you will have to contend with. Most of the match is honestly mental. If you can get out and shoot a match you will see how fun they are and how much you will learn. Go out with an open mind and have fun.