• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

“How Different Can Identical Airguns Be?”

Found this HAM article published 02/22/22. The article was based upon comparing facets and performance of two air pistols , same make and model. https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/how-different-can-identical-airguns-be/

Intersting article? I’d say so.

Conclusive? Well as many members can attest to QC issues across various brands, I’d say this analysis isn’t conclusive or universal in the least bit. 

Sometimes it depends on the quality of the gun to begin with..once I moved into quality guns I found differences to be much less. Yes, still differences but only small ones, where cheaper guns had larger differences!!! At onevtime I owned 3 IZH pistols, bought all new and the differences were very small !! Most of the difference was muzzle velocity, anywhere from 425 to 460 with the same pellets. Couldnt find any differences in QC. However when cheap guns were brought in with repairs needed, you could see a lot of differences in quality issues. The old story continues...you get what you pay for !!!!

EVERYTHING...man made has manufacturing tolerances.

"Identical" is the key word. There is NO such thing. They may have the same part number on them, but they WILL NOT be the same.

Same materials, same tooling, same operator, same assembler, same everything. Out of ten parts, you may get three that are comparable...but NOT...PERFECTLY comparable.

Ever heard of the Friday before a holiday built car/truck ? They ARE...out there. A Monday after an Irish drinking weekend ? They ARE out there. And...so are toy guns. Expensive as they may be, they WILL be different item to item.

Even high tolerance parts like military aircraft, commercial aircraft, spacecraft...there WILL BE differences, part to part. I worked in the Aerospace Industry for a very many years. For as hard as they may try, even the current, modern day CNC machines can't keep up with..."perfect". They are getting better with self inspection of the cutting tools, they still are not exact, part to part.

Question - How many decimal points (0.xxxxxx) do you think it takes to be..."perfect "?

Mike