How did you get into shooting? Air Arms

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.24.06 PM.1626351265.png

Air Arms

I got into shooting back in the 1960s when I was drafted and went to Viet Nam. That was then, this is now. I have been shooting pistols and rifles (powder burners) ever since. Years ago I purchased a Crosman 1322 old style with breach lock and pull cocking knob. I still have and shoot it at squirrels. A couple years ago I updated my air gun efforts with a CO2 pistol. Then last year I purchased the Weihrauch HW44 and a Hill Pump. Since then I graduated to Brocock and FX rifles. Air is quiet and ammo is relatively cheap. Great sport.

On the farm, I got a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and spent hours shooting everything in sight. Frogs, cans, rocks, dandeliions, you name it. That was 70 years ago. A couple of years later, dad allowed me to get a Remington pump 22 rifle, then it was woodchucks and other farm pests. It went on from there. In 1983 I really got burned and got a Beeman catalog and spent many hours dreaming about a pellet rifle. I bought an R8- what a gun.. After I retired in 1997, the flow of airguns started. It was/is a long list. I bought and sold many. I can't say I didn't like any of them. They all had their charm. I still have about 12 rifles and 5 pistols and enjoy shooting them all.

For good bad or worst, the 'war machine' sparked my interest as a kid. Born near the end of the Vietnam war... piles of mangled, war machines and such from whichever military, all around; the gun powder smells as far as I can remember. In the end, for the sake of you and your love ones survival, you best learn to shoot. Picked up an M1 carbine and fell in love. :)

Shoot, I started with cap guns as a very small kid then moved up to BB guns as soon as I could hold one, then pellet guns. My dad gave me a .410 shotgun at around 12. I have always had some sort of gun as far back as I can remember. I still have the .410 (a single shot Johnson) now at 60. It was stolen in a home robbery while on vacation, but I was able to get it back thank the Lord above. I shot a lot of squirrels with that .410.

First "airgun" was my uncle's Slavia break-barrel... could only use it while at the farm. Must have about 8yo.

• Chores for pellets... not sure who got the better end of the deal...

At 12, got my first-very-own Daisy Power-Line 880...

Then got into powder-burner and kind of forgot airguns... Untill the late 90s, when I realized that shooting air pistol could help improve my bullseye score, and it was one more event to shoots when traveling to a match.

• Haven't been without a airgun since. 

Recently, I've been lusting over a Air-Arm Pro-Sport or TX200... something to go back to basic-plinking-fun. 

I bought an Air Force Talon in .22 from PY Air like 20+ years ago. They have been around that long. First I only had a laser. I got really good at hunting with only a laser sight. Then I tried a 4X scope one day, like one of those $20 ones. I hit a Blue Jay from way far away with easy and was amazed. I still had the gun until a few years back. I remember I used to jam a metal cleaning rod down the front of the barrel regularly. (not good).

...I don't shoot animals anymore, but back then I took out everything I saw. The birds finaly came back to my parents house a couple years after I left. It was declared a "No Fly Zone" by the local bird population when I was around. Wierd how people change. 

In the late 80's I was fortunate enough to meet a guy that to this day knows more about shooting than anyone I have met. Over the years we have hunted together and spent lots of time discussing air rifles. He is an incredible marksman for sure.. I must say that the time I spent with him on several dairies in Arizona was incredible. I truly was shocked at the damage caused by pigeons, starlings and eurasian doves. Air rifles make the best combination for dairies without a doubt. Thanks Scott for all you have helped me with over the years, your a great friend. I love this Crown mkii!!! Thanks man!