How did you decide what caliber to get first?

Can't think of any pest control jobs where I have absolutely needed anything more than a .177 or .22 caliber, especially for birds and rodents. Along with the larger calibers comes more spent on ammo as well as the consumption of more air. Majority of the private permissions I frequent using large calibers is simply to much liability. The big calibers can carry a long ways, penetrate and damage buildings, equipment, cause danger to livestock etc, I enjoy using the large calibers for big open terrain where I have a safe background without worrying.

For my first PCP it was .22. I liked the power my Dad's Crosman 160 had after I resealed it. Also growing up we had a BSA Scorpion pistol in .22 it was a powerful but huge gun (especially when I was 12) now my 2 favorites are in .25 powerful and accurate. Yes the drawback of cost and availability of pellets is an issue, and the .25s use lots more air. I say get what you like. Also buy ones with the FPE you need for the job you will do. No starling has complained after being hit with one of my .25s, I don't think I would use a .177 or lower powered .22s (like the 160) on raccoons or skunks. Now I live in the country so your needs may be different.

Jim

I was using a Marauder 22 cal rifle but for a one-shot kill it had to be a head shot. I recently added a .25 cal Air Arms rifle and with it even a hit to the torso of a squirrel takes it out. The Predator GTO lead free pellets in .25 cal work very well and as I like to leave the dead squirrels out for the hawks and vultures to enjoy this is very important.

A good tuneable 22 seems best in my eyes. Something that can be 15fpe or 60fpe in one rifle covers a huge spectrum of what air rifles do. Plus the availability and selection of 22 is way better than that of 25 or up. I like the trajectory and bc of a high power 22. Just seems logical that a 22 with 60fpe will shoot better than a 25 with 60fpe with appropriate weight projectiles in both. There are so many variables though that can throw this logic out the window as well lol. All I know is my 22s get 90% of my time over .177, .25, .30, and .35.

I can't be the only one who first started out with .177, .22, .25, and .30cal and in that order.

This is the way. And then, .357 and .457

I am primarily a .25 cal shooter, and primarily a hunter.

I keep telling myself to get back into .22 for more plinking, but I want to shoot the guns I hunt with, and .25 is a very versatile hunting caliber. .30 is costly in terms of air and ammo, but oh so choice if you're using it for a specific purpose.

.22 is probably the most versatile all around caliber, from cheap plinking to 70+fpe the South Africans are pushing it to.

Follow the path, and add more as you need more.

.22 seemed to be the best choice so Im starting with a Prod. Despite having it tuned great its just a little on the light side to take down some of the larger Iguanas without a quick follow-up shot. A perfectly placed head shot will usually do the the trick but as we all know, thats not always the case so Im heading into the .25 world soon. Just wish every darn thing will get back to normal soon. Looks as though .25 ammo is a little tougher to find.

When I go to into pcp guns. logic was if I’m going to get a pcp to hunt with I want to use a bigger pellet because I wanted to see this power. So first was a .25 then a .30 still have it r5. Then I went .22 and then .177. 
But back then slugs weren’t the hip thing in town. But if I were to do it again I’d start with a .22 and stop with a .25. 22 for hunting plinking and fun. The .25 for clearing coons from the chicken house. Now I own 177, 22 25 and 30 I don’t need the .30 buts got a cool factor 

50% more impact with the .25 over the .22 with most air rifles. Makes it practical to do one shot kills with a hit to the torso of a rodent or small bird and even a squirrel. With my .22 rifle it took a head shot to get a clean 1-shot kill and that limits range and requires more speed to acquire a target and pull the trigger. For general plinking a .177 is more economical and more shots per tank fill. With .25 cal the pellet options diminish greatly, especially for non-lead ammo which is all I use for pest kills as the dead bodies get recycled by hawks and vultures.