• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX How close to regulator pressure.

I was wondering how close to your regulator pressure do you let your air bottle pressure to drop before you notice reduced velocities?
It just depends. If the hammer spring tension is adjusted for about 95 to 97% of maximum velocity, you may not see the velocity taper off until the pressure has fallen somewhere into the ballpark of 10 – 15% below the setpoint.

Whereas if too much hammer spring tension is dialed in, the velocity may drop like a rock as soon as the pressure falls below the setpoint. Or if too little hammer spring tension is dialed in, the velocity will instead begin to climb before turning around and heading down.

Reactions: jagbender
Great question, Jagbender!

I've recently been asking myself the same question. I was experimenting with a new tune on my FX Maverick in .22 cal, with 170/130 settings on 1st and 2nd reg. Filling to 250Bar on the bottle, I could achieve about 2 - 3 mags (18 rounds of .22) before reaching the upper pressure setting. Then I thought to myself - why can't I shoot down to the 130 bar (or perhaps just above), since this is the actual pressure at which the gun is firing... I would still need to chrony the slugs near the bottom pressure to see whether I'm losing muzzle velocity.

I don't know that the gun would become damaged going below that bottom reg pressure. I doubt it, but would rather not take the chance. The only downside I could see is that the plenum could take a lot longer to fill, since the pressure differential between 1st and 2nd reg is much lower. Any thoughts on this?

Mike

Great question, Jagbender!

I've recently been asking myself the same question. I was experimenting with a new tune on my FX Maverick in .22 cal, with 170/130 settings on 1st and 2nd reg. Filling to 250Bar on the bottle, I could achieve about 2 - 3 mags (18 rounds of .22) before reaching the upper pressure setting. Then I thought to myself - why can't I shoot down to the 130 bar (or perhaps just above), since this is the actual pressure at which the gun is firing... I would still need to chrony the slugs near the bottom pressure to see whether I'm losing muzzle velocity.

I don't know that the gun would become damaged going below that bottom reg pressure. I doubt it, but would rather not take the chance. The only downside I could see is that the plenum could take a lot longer to fill, since the pressure differential between 1st and 2nd reg is much lower. Any thoughts o
I just ordered a chronograph and will be doing some velocity testing too.

Reactions: Mike Kunte