Crosman How can you tell the date a MK 1 Crosman air pistol was made?

Guys

Can you tell the date a MK 1 Crosman air pistol was made by the serial number? My MK1 serial number is 287415. There are no other numbers. I know these air pistols were being sold new when I was in High School in the 1970s. I would like to nail down a known date not a known decade.

Any help will greatly appreciated I am fairly new to serious airgun shooting. I am going to setup the chronograph and get some measures to determine if it needs an immediate rebuild.

Thanks Andy

MK1 lhs.jpg

There was a progression of development, which is mainly what you have to go by, as dates are unclear, but developments were not. The early rear bolt knobs were knurled steel, later ones were cast like yours. Early models had a power adjustment screw on the spring housing under the barrel, later ones did not. There is some confusion as to whether or not they always had two stage cocking, with some saying that it was a later development. Finally, the lever type cartridge pierce mechanism such as yours has was on earlier models, as later ones come with the compression cap. Placing each of those developments in chronological order will give you a pretty good idea of what year your gun was produced. he big caveat is of course whether or not all the components on your particular gun are original, or are they replacement items.
Have fun figuring it all out, they are wonderful old shooters, quite powerful, and very accurate. I have several of them, and am always keeping an eye out for more.