How Can I Take My Scope Back to 'Neutral' ?

My Hawke Airmax 30 4 x 16 x50 was not new to me. I have run the turrets a bit. Both ways. Can I just run it one way to the end of the clicks, go back the other way counting or noting the number of revolutions and then go back again exactly half that? I'm presently afraid to do that fearing I might mess it up somehow.

Or is there another way?

Thanks for any help.

Or you can contact Hawke and they will tell you what you need to do. I apologize but I forgot what they had me do. It wasn't the mirror method because he did NOT recommend that method for the sidewinder (since that was all I had at that time). To this day, my Sidewinders has been reliable and with the addition of "No limit" mounts on all my airguns,it is not too far from "factory center". I do use mil-dots rather than turret adjustment 90% of the time.

"Dartagnan"Or you can contact Hawke and they will tell you what you need to do. I apologize but I forgot what they had me do. It wasn't the mirror method because he did NOT recommend that method for the sidewinder (since that was all I had at that time). To this day, my Sidewinders has been reliable and with the addition of "No limit" mounts on all my airguns,it is not too far from "factory center". I do use mil-dots rather than turret adjustment 90% of the time.
Correct and good advice. Called Hawke for my Sidewinder TAC30, and they told me to turn full clockwise (on both turrets) and then turn opposite way 2 FULL revolutions. This will get you close to factory optical center, with 5 MOA. Verified after using the box v-notch method and it was really close to neutral. Don't waste your time using the mirror method.

Also I don't trust the counting total clicks method and dividing by two, because some scopes, if not all, do not have a hard stop.

"Vince_Diesel"
Correct and good advice. Called Hawke for my Sidewinder TAC30, and they told me to turn full clockwise (on both turrets) and then turn opposite way 2 FULL revolutions. This will get you close to factory optical center, with 5 MOA. Verified after using the box v-notch method and it was really close to neutral. Don't waste your time using the mirror method.

Also I don't trust the counting total clicks method and dividing by two, because some scopes, if not all, do not have a hard stop.
The method you suggest here is fine for Hawke Sidewinder scopes... not so much for all other vendors and models... Sometimes we need alternatives...

The reason some people don't recommend the mirror method is because of parallax issues. Which can cause you to be off center a bit, usually not that much. Just be careful and make darn sure your eye is centered in the "box".

As far as counting clicks, this method gives you a "mechanical" center not an "optical" center, usually that is plenty close enough as well.