• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How can I buy a sub 12 FPE airgun living in the USA?

How does one buy a sub 12 lb airgun living in the USA? I was looking to buy TDR but the American version doesn't interest me, so are there rules against buying a English or German silenced airgun? The American TDR seems to just have a little button on the end and I'm pretty sure it doesn't reduce the sound very good. So basically is there a website or paperwork needed to get their style?

Rob

MOD EDIT: MODIFIED TITLE FOR BETTER RESPONSES

I read about the Brits stuck with shooting sub 12 fpe guns and I swore I would NEVER, EVER own one. Well, I got involved in benchrest shooting here in Florida using my 20 fpe TM1000. Nice gun, but I wasn't getting the results I wanted, so I started looking for a dedicated gun for BR. Naturally, being a red-blooded American, it had to be the biggest and the fastest. USARB limits sanctioned matches to .22s, so that's where I started looking. I've found that .22's accuracy can be problematic unless you go to super custom barrels and I wasn't ready to do that. I also know that the most accurate airguns are .177 cal rifles used in 10M international competition and those shoot at about 6 fpe. While shooting an FT match, one of my shooting friends just installed a regulator in his .177 cal Mrod, but didn't have time to adjust it. It was shooting 6 fpe. Well, he shot one of his best scores ever. Another data point. I called Martin at RAW and we discussed this. He didn't recommend a .22 for the same reasons that I thought, but suggested a 12 fpe rifle in .177 cal. I ordered an HM1000 thumbhole walnut rifle. So far, I have used it in two matches and I have had some pretty decent scores. Very competitive with the FWB 70FTs that seem to be gaining much popularity with the local guys. I love the 480 cc carbon air tank (which gives me at least 200 shots) and the 17 shot magazines. While everyone is scrambling around re-filling their guns in between targets, and dropping pellets all over the ground while single shot loading, I just sit there popping away. I just love this gun!! So, go for a 12fpe gun. If you can afford it, get a RAW. Martin will build you anything you want and they are well worth it. Essentially, you will be getting a custom rifle that will outshoot almost anything else.

Reactions: lbarrera
"azuaro"Very good advice and review jps2486....

I shoot a Steyr LG-110 against a FWB P70 , a BM-500 (brother to your TM-1000) and a HM-1000 among other fine guns...All of these dedicated BR rifles are set to 12 ft./lb. and are very accurate. I shoot 20 ft./lb/ with my Steyr because I use this gun for BR and FT and it is extremely accurate at this power level...I was able to fine tune the regulator and reduced the spread to less than 5 fps shooting at 925 fps.. then I machined two new custom barrels for it and one of them turned out to be one of those super killer barrels that shoots everything and anything very precise and with a very large sweet spot...

My other favorite rifle is a 10 M Feinwerkbau model 700 aluminum Red that shoots at 6 ft./lb. or 570 fps with 8.4 gr. pellets...That rifle is a real delight to shoot and to me nobody equals Feinwerkbau and Anschutz in technology, craftsmanship and engineering...

Regards,,

AZUARO
What brand of barrels are you using on your Steyr?