How bad is moisture in our PCP’s

Just some more "anecdata" - I previously lived in Oregon (humidity normally 65%+ and lower temps, so lots of water). I went several years with a handpump (FX) that used a pencil-eraser sized "filter" and that rifle (Discovery) still runs fine. I topped my Condor up with the same pump for quite a while and have never had an issue. I've used an AV compressor, with its standard filter, for 3?, 4? years now. No problem in any gun. I think the moisture issue is overstated for airguns. It would likely take quite a bit of moisture to cause a real problem, and even then I'm not sure what it would be. There are folks here that put a lot more air through their guns than I do, but I have yet to see anyone saying "moisture ruined my gun!". Mostly I just see a lot of people fretting about it. I'm not going to put a humidifier on the intake of my compressor, but I'm really not worried about it... (especially now that I live where humidity is less than 20% most of the time... ;-)

GsT

Some pcp are more prone to water damage than others. High end guns with good interior parts finishes/coatings seem to fend of corrosion better than the lesser quality guns.

These pics were posted in another thread a while back by member kayaker... Water inside your pcp isn't a problem, till it is. Notice the corrosion on the aluminum part in pics, right in the o-ring groove.

It can damage you air tube , how long I do not know but If you suspect it I would degas & check it .Here's what I found in a m-rod tube (bought at a garage sale)
0707201920.1607619889.jpg
0707201920a.1607619942.jpg
0707201921a.1607619988.jpg

I have one of the first shoebox compressors that I use to top off my steel scuba tank. I have never seen any moisture problems in any tubes. I don't use any fancy dryers. I took my scuba tank in for a hydro test and explain to the shop doing the test what I used it for and to take a hard look at the inside for any moisture problems. After more that 7 years of use it still looked brand new inside, Just my experience.

Good Luck

Rim

I've never had any issues, even when I had a steel tubed Air Arms and a hand pump. It's always high humidity down here too. Gun was disassembled a few times and never any sign of corrosion. 

Now I use a Shoebox fed from a worn out oil-lubed shop compressor with a basic drier in the inlet (low pressure) side. Moisture comes out of the bleed screw, but never any issues in the guns. 

My HW100s have stainless airtubes, so I don't care as far as they are concerned. 

Every time this topic comes up, someone posts a pic of a Crosman gun with corrosion. Personally I believe they are more prone to it due to cheap metals. I had a Disco that I built for a friend, and the damn thing rusted like an old nail on the outside if it wasn't meticulously oiled. Never had this issue on any other more expensive guns. 

So in my opinion, I believe the fear of moisture is overblown in most of the guns we shoot. 

I think my issue is more in my dive tank. The tank sits. If water and contaminants sit, it will corrode. I don't want a time bomb sitting in my house. Is $100 worth the risk? I guess it's your home/life.

If you are using scuba tanks like I do, degas the bottle and remove the valve. Then remove the short air tube under the valve, you don't need it if you are not diving with the bottle. Now you can drain any water that ends up in the bottle by simply turning the bottle upside down and slowly bleeding the tank by just cracking the valve. Simple.

I have one of the first shoebox compressors that I use to top off my steel scuba tank. I have never seen any moisture problems in any tubes. I don't use any fancy dryers. I took my scuba tank in for a hydro test and explain to the shop doing the test what I used it for and to take a hard look at the inside for any moisture problems. After more that 7 years of use it still looked brand new inside, Just my experience.

Good Luck

Rim

I'm with @Rimshot on this one , exactly same experience but almost 12 years with similar setup.

I'm sure it all depend on environment you filling your equipment in.

B