• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

How about this ( For Club Events ) & finding more Pistols shooters ?

With the threads speaking of Extreme or Magnum Pistol running at 20 fpe & 30 fpe respectfully & 55 to 100 yard distances. They are BOTH being done as there own class / venues.

So how about Nurturing the use of Pistols during a regular 10-55 yard RIFLE Spec Field target match ?

Being the Rifle "FREESTYLE" rifle class had hit a brick wall .... The Rifle Open class is nearly dead around here, Lets take the idea of doing FT a different way and PLAY with a Pistol is lets say more an OPEN class sort of format.
I'm going to put out a news letter to the SVFTC members that spell out what class I'm going to promote here locally.

For now we'll call it OPEN PISTOL
Same size AAFTA pistol spec ... >25" oal / 3" Fore end ahead of trigger guard / 15" total barrel * Tho for now an LDC can be utilized for noise & comfort of other shooters.
Eye cup allowed, No shooting jacket or gloves allowed. No other attached miens of pistol support ( >20 fpe limit ) as we're still shooting >20 fpe targets !

Can sit any way you want be it Ground, Bag or low bucket / seat ( No backrest )
Use of a unattached Bi-pod allowed.
Any optic magnification, Clicking allowed.

THIS TO BE ALLOWED in 10-55 yard Rifle Spec & troyer matches.

Want a REAL Challenge o_O having already done it 3 times in the last year ... It is HARD it is FUN and just mixes it up as too what amount of effort & skills practice each shooter can or wishes to deal with.

Last edited:
I have shot my 12fpe pistol in some rifle matches. Before the 2017 Nationals, I put out a challenge for others to try it at that match. There were no other takers, though I shot it that way anyway and it was certainly challenging. If your proposal became a thing, I'd certainly do it. Just need to bump up my pistol to 20fpe.

Motorhead,
I have doubts that AAFTA would make 20fpe pistol an official Division or Class. But why wait? It's already OK to shoot a 20fpe pistols in a couple of the AAFTA rifle Divisions, either in the Open rifle Division or the Hunter rifle Division. There are no restrictions against it.

I'll do it if you do it. At all of the 2024 AAFTA matches, including GP matches.

Yes Scott your correct ....

Hunter with a PISTOL, scope limit of 16X & hold over ... just shooting a pistol in lieu of a rifle.
OPEN with a PISTOL ....* I don't like what would be seen as allowed aids in attached Support, Jackets or Gloves..

*So that said post #1 .... in allowed or prohibited kinda makes the most sense to me at least.

"Hunter with a PISTOL, scope limit of 16X & hold over ... just shooting a pistol in lieu of a rifle"

That works for me.

Edit: How about just a pistol with no support aids? (No seat, no jacket, no harness, no bipod, nothing)

Last edited:
"Hunter with a PISTOL, scope limit of 16X & hold over ... just shooting a pistol in lieu of a rifle"

That works for me.

Edit: How about just a pistol with no support aids? (No seat, no jacket, no harness, no bipod, nothing)
Lol .. That is just mean !! Those who can wrap them self up such as a pretzel are kinda freaks ... Who loves ya Scotty ;)

Lol .. That is just mean !! Those who can wrap them self up such as a pretzel are kinda freaks ... Who loves ya Scotty ;)
I was just trying to make you aware of the bias in your proposal. Hence my self serving (in jest) proposal. I know you like bipods, so you did include those as allowed support aids in your proposal. But there are others who like to wear harnesses or shooting jackets. None of them are actually attached to the pistol so should be OK. Just because we don’t use something ourselves, shouldn’t bias us against them. The more we can attract to the game, the better.❤️

Reactions: drsquall
Could someone tell my why a mod on the barrel should be counted as barrel length in aafta? Never could figure that 1 out, understand the 15” barrel rule but to me a mod has nothing to do with anything but noise
Was adopted to keep the OAL shorter and find compliance for those altering a rifle into a pistol. the 15" rule is STRICTLY for pistols.
Also .... ask question to Ron Robinson who is the Father, Mother & Siblings of all things "Pistol Field Target" :ROFLMAO:

Was adopted to keep the OAL shorter and find compliance for those altering a rifle into a pistol. the 15" rule is STRICTLY for pistols.
Also .... ask question to Ron Robinson who is the Father, Mother & Siblings of all things "Pistol Field Target" :ROFLMAO:
The OAL is a separate rule:

“6. Overall length including any attachments must not exceed 25 inches.”

Reactions: Motorhead
Could someone tell my why a mod on the barrel should be counted as barrel length in aafta? Never could figure that 1 out, understand the 15” barrel rule but to me a mod has nothing to do with anything but noise

That was one of many compromises arrived at by the pistol rules-makers, sometimes after much heated and sometimes contentious debate. In the case of barrel length, some wanted a limit as short as 6-10", others no limit. The substance of the arguments for length limits revolved around keeping SOME semblence of pistol in PISTOL FT rules parameters.

The subject of noise never came up.

That was one of many compromises arrived at by the pistol rules-makers, sometimes after much heated and sometimes contentious debate. In the case of barrel length, some wanted a limit as short as 6-10", others no limit. The substance of the arguments for length limits revolved around keeping SOME semblence of pistol in PISTOL FT rules parameters.

The subject of noise never came up.
I figured that the 15” barrel length and 25” OAL was just lifted from the IHMSA unlimited pistol rules. I shot Unlimited IHMSA air pistol for awhile and used the same air pistol that I now use in FT.

Reactions: AirNGasman
I figured that the 15” barrel length and 25” OAL was just lifted from the IHMSA unlimited pistol rules. I shot Unlimited IHMSA air pistol for awhile and used the same air pistol that I now use in FT.

Although I never shot IHMSA, now that you mention it, at some point I or we might have checked IHMSA rules for some insight/guidance.