Other How 10m stocks change?

Here's some 10m rigid barrel match rifle stocks from over the years: one from the mid 1950's, one from late 50's-early 60's, one from late 60's, and one from late 70's. The checkering disappears, the wrists get more vertical, the triggers and sights keep getting better, they look less like a sporting gun...
L1010444.jpeg

Last edited:
Being a hunter first and foremost, I used to dismiss target airguns as something that have no appeal to me, the alien and impractical indoor things that they are. Getting into springers more and more I was surprised to find realistic, downright sexy guns from the 10M realm, by going back in time far enough.

I just love that in the 50's and 60's, your serious competition guns were basically like sporter springers, only with vastly better triggers and with subtle differences in the stock dimensions, details and balance. I could sure as heck take my beech & steel LG55 into the woods, and it would manage, only a little scared.

"...only a little scared," love it! I'm sure my oldsters cross themselves when I haul them outdoors, too. 😜

The Walthers actually WERE derived from sporter guns. They started with the nifty LG 51 after the war - actually a bit smaller than an HW 30. Then the same basic action and barrel, by way of new stocks, triggers, sights, supplemental stock and barrel weights, and incremental internal improvements, evolved into the whole LG 51 - 53 - 55 - LGV series of sport, target, and full-blown match rifles. Sweet-shooting, accurate, exquisitely finished, GREAT rifles, every one of 'em too.

The Weihrauch HW 55 was a similar adaptation of the old HW 50 sporter, and Diana's target guns of the day started as straight model 35 and 50 sporters with better sights stuck on 'em.

IMG_1766.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my anschutz lg250 .late 70s I believe. I rebuilt this rifle . They have a hydraulic damper system to control recoil uses dexron Alphabet org inside the unit . The walnut stock originally finished in some horrible bland poo . I removed the finish and finished with alkanet oil and a traditional oil I made up using a linseed base . Better figure showing through now . Very nice to shoot

892ae602-7228-462f-b098-a1d2e9f6c87c.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg