• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

House Sparrows

If you decide you are interested in stepping up your game just a bit, really shopping around often makes it possible to find the Crosman American Classic 1377 and 1322 air pistols online for the same ~$50 price I paid for my first about four years ago, if you prefer air pistols. Either should help you take out nearby sparrows handily, and the variable pump power source gives you the option to vary the oomph for whatever the situation demands (for example, I use only three or four pumps in either one, for my own indoor target shooting at thirty feet).

Another great option might be to get the combo P1377/P1322 package, that includes both pistol and shoulder stock (the Pxxxx packages usually are cheaper than buying the pistol and stock individually, but of course, your mileage may vary). Attaching the stock turns these already accurate air pistols into short carbines that shoot even better, at least that's been my experience! The accuracy I get out my own .177 and .22 caliber Crosman air pistols, with their shoulder stocks attached, using only their standard open sights, is MUCH better than I could do with either of them in pistol-only form! In fact, it made such a huge difference in the accuracy I could squeeze out of both that I haven't taken the stock off either one for at least a couple of years! If I have the urge to shoot pistols, I happen to also have the .177 and .22 versions of the basically comparable Umarex Strike Point variable pumpers that fill that need more than adequately. ;-)

On the other hand, by taking another small step up from what you're using now, you might want to check out something like a Daisy Powerline 880 or 901 air rifle: they're about the best you can get if you're wanting an accurate, inexpensive (about $60 to $70) and even more powerful air rifle. As I'm sure you realize, there just about are too many inexpensive air rifles of several types to name here, any of which probably would fill your need, but I'll spare you being swamped with sub-one hundred dollar options. Just a friendly FYI, if you do decide to step up your anti-sparrow efforts a bit more, but don't want to spend a lot of money to do so. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with your anti-invasive-sparrow campaign! :)
Thank you! It is so refreshing to openly discuss anti-sparrrow efforts without being criticized or shamed. The information you shared is valuable and I will consider your suggestions for future purchases. Again, thank you!

Thank you! It is so refreshing to openly discuss anti-sparrrow efforts without being criticized or shamed. The information you shared is valuable and I will consider your suggestions for future purchases. Again, thank you!
Welcome to AirGun Nation! We're always happy to support a new airgunner!

Your interest in managing a sparrow problem (we call that "pesting") is typical of how people find their way into airguns and airgunning.

In browsing around AGN you will see other sub-forums for other facets (different types of airguns, specific interests, accessories, etc) of the sport. Feel free to look around and ask questions.

Cheers!

@LuAnn Drakos , hello and welcome to the forum. The sparrows are quite a problem and, as mentioned, they will kill other species. My brother-in-law got into air gunning to protect his purple martin houses from raiding sparrows. You said you weren't sure you were making contact - usually you can hear and see quite the reaction when a pellet connects, if that's what you were referring to.

I like a pistol for policing the bird feeder to avoid having anything too powerful that might damage things behind the feeder. You have to be careful of your trajectory and what's behind your targets... In other words, place yourself and/or your feeder in such a way that if you miss, nothing important will be hit. EDIT- and even if you don't miss, pellets will pass through, be deflected, and typically change direction. They can still whack things that you might not expect, that weren't exactly in line with your original sights.

Holding a pistol steady until the trigger breaks is one of the supreme challenges. If you can buy or make up a sack or bag (s) filled with rice and make a rest for your hands and pistol by a window that you can ease open, you can greatly steady your aim.

Also, a type of sight called a red dot can work wonders on the precision of aiming of a pistol. Iron sites can be very difficult especially for older eyes. I'm not familiar with the mounting options on your model pistol, but if it has any kind of scope mount dovetail grooves, an inexpensive dot site will be a great addition. It's like a miniature scope that you look through but typically does not have magnification and it overlays a single luminous dot as your aim point. It's way easier to use than trying to line up front and rear iron sights.

GL,
Feinwerk

Last edited:
@LuAnn Drakos , hello and welcome to the forum. The sparrows are quite a problem and, as mentioned, they will kill other species. My brother-in-law got into air gunning to protect his purple martin houses from raiding sparrows. You said you weren't sure you were making contact - usually you can hear and see quite the reaction when a pellet connects, if that's what you were referring to.

I like a pistol for policing the bird feeder to avoid having anything too powerful that might damage things behind the feeder. You have to be careful of your trajectory and what's behind your targets... In other words, place yourself and/or your feeder in such a way that if you miss, nothing important will be hit. EDIT- and even if you don't miss, pellets will pass through, be deflected, and typically change direction. They can still whack things that you might not expect, that weren't exactly in line with your original sights.

Holding a pistol steady until the trigger breaks is one of the supreme challenges. If you can buy or make up a sack or bag (s) filled with rice and make a rest for your hands and pistol by a window that you can ease open, you can greatly steady your aim.

Also, a type of sight called a red dot can work wonders on the precision of aiming of a pistol. Iron sites can be very difficult especially for older eyes. I'm not familiar with the mounting options on your model pistol, but if it has any kind of scope mount dovetail grooves, an inexpensive dot site will be a great addition. It's like a miniature scope that you look through but typically does not have magnification and it overlays a single luminous dot as your aim point. It's way easier to use than trying to line up front and rear iron sights.

GL,
Feinwerk
Good advice ,( from everyone ) one other sighting option , depending on the gun/pistol, is an inexpensive handgun scope such as a straight 2 power . Depending on your vision , sometimes dot sights "bloom " and overtake the target . A scope or sight w/ multi reticles that has a crosshair does not present a problem like that. Another thing that may happen is sunlight makes a red dot hard to see even at high power levels.As an avid handgunner for years , w/ my vision , a scope has always worked better outdoors. In dim light or cloudy days most dots are ok .With a handgun rested as suggested a scope doesn't present the "shakes" that many notice when first using scope sights.

Reactions: LuAnn Drakos
Good advice ,( from everyone ) one other sighting option , depending on the gun/pistol, is an inexpensive handgun scope such as a straight 2 power . Depending on your vision , sometimes dot sights "bloom " and overtake the target . A scope or sight w/ multi reticles that has a crosshair does not present a problem like that. Another thing that may happen is sunlight makes a red dot hard to see even at high power levels.As an avid handgunner for years , w/ my vision , a scope has always worked better outdoors. In dim light or cloudy days most dots are ok .With a handgun rested as suggested a scope doesn't present the "shakes" that many notice when first using scope sights.
Thank you 👍

If you decide you are interested in stepping up your game just a bit, really shopping around often makes it possible to find the Crosman American Classic 1377 and 1322 air pistols online for the same ~$50 price I paid for my first about four years ago, if you prefer air pistols. Either should help you take out nearby sparrows handily, and the variable pump power source gives you the option to vary the oomph for whatever the situation demands (for example, I use only three or four pumps in either one, for my own indoor target shooting at thirty feet).

Another great option might be to get the combo P1377/P1322 package, that includes both pistol and shoulder stock (the Pxxxx packages usually are cheaper than buying the pistol and stock individually, but of course, your mileage may vary). Attaching the stock turns these already accurate air pistols into short carbines that shoot even better, at least that's been my experience! The accuracy I get out my own .177 and .22 caliber Crosman air pistols, with their shoulder stocks attached, using only their standard open sights, is MUCH better than I could do with either of them in pistol-only form! In fact, it made such a huge difference in the accuracy I could squeeze out of both that I haven't taken the stock off either one for at least a couple of years! If I have the urge to shoot pistols, I happen to also have the .177 and .22 versions of the basically comparable Umarex Strike Point variable pumpers that fill that need more than adequately. ;-)

On the other hand, by taking another small step up from what you're using now, you might want to check out something like a Daisy Powerline 880 or 901 air rifle: they're about the best you can get if you're wanting an accurate, inexpensive (about $60 to $70) and even more powerful air rifle. As I'm sure you realize, there just about are too many inexpensive air rifles of several types to name here, any of which probably would fill your need, but I'll spare you being swamped with sub-one hundred dollar options. Just a friendly FYI, if you do decide to step up your anti-sparrow efforts a bit more, but don't want to spend a lot of money to do so. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with your anti-invasive-sparrow campaign! :)
Thank you, I will definitely consider that for the future.

Reactions: bubbapearson
Hello all, it's been awhile since my last post. It's taken a long time to adjust the rear and side sights to the Rugers Mark IV. Yesterday, I did not see the sparrow fly away after shooting. I checked the ground and nothing. But today, the sparrows flew away when they saw my face in the kitchen window. That was a first! I must've gotten pretty close to it yesterday. Only saw 2 today.
Three Starlings took a bath and eating suet this morning so now I have another target. I have a small backyard, live in the city, so shooting from the garage window is the only option where I'm not visible to those murderous species!
I didn't know that I contributed to the Robin's unsuccessful attempts to raise babies, by feeding the songbirds. But, I did. It attracted the invasive birds as well as the predators. The Robin's didn't stand a chance, for 2 years. As soon as I see a lot of bugs flying around, I will take down the feeders for the summer until late fall. Open to any suggestions.

Reactions: qball
Thanks for letting me join. Do people dislike house sparrows as much as me? I just purchased an air gun, not really sure if I made contact but I'm seeing way less sparrows than using a sparrow tragic

Thanks for letting me join. Do people dislike house sparrows as much as me? I just purchased an air gun, not really sure if I made contact but I'm seeing way less sparrows than using a sparrow trap.
Put them all in the dirt

Yes, I hate HOSPs. I have a blue bird trail and the HOSP are extremely destructive to native song birds like the eastern blue bird. I have a sparrow trap and use it during nesting season but my primary means of protecting my blue birds is shooting the HOSPs. I lost count this year at over 100 down. And do not try to convince me it is not effective, no, I cannot get them all but I can relieve the pressure on my native birds.

Just two days ago I saw three blue birds flitting about near my east box. They appeared to be agitated and then I saw the problem. A HOSP had gone in the box and the female blue bird had fled. Now, it is too early to nest but the blue birds sometimes get in the box and check on it or to avoid intense cold even in the winter. The female was sitting on a branch and the HOSP chased her and then went and got in the box. One of the males was trying to get it out, looking in the entrance hole, to no avail. I grabbed my Marauder Super Light, on ready, sure enough the HOSP came out, chased the male and then went and lighted atop the box. Bad move bugger, he met a .25 caliber 34 grain JSB hauling along at 900+ fps! The blue birds actually inspected the dead HOSP looking at it and turning their heads side to side to get a good look. They were happy!

Snakes, raccoons, whatever are at least part of the natural environment and I use baffles to discourage them. HOSPs are aggressive, begin nesting earlier, destroy the native eggs and build their nests right over the remains. HOSPs are invasive pests and the native birds just have no natural evolved means of dealing with them, but I do.

My Night Stalker on duty while the Super Light gets some TLC:

Last edited:
the house sparrow wrecks my cardinal nests and BB houses really bad.
i like to explode them with my crown compact mk2 with 18.1gr jsb :sneaky:

I got my first HOSP of the year yesterday, I used my Snowpeak M60b with JTS Dead Center 18.1gr pellets at 50y and I saw something I've never seen before.

The sun was at my back, about 10° off 180° and as the pellet hit the body, it made a hole that was clearly visible through the bird!

House Sparrows are some of the smartest birds in my parts. I have bird feeders that attract a number of native species like jays, cardinals, juncos, woodpeckers, and even robins that don't mind when I'm watching them through the sliding porch door to the feeder which is about 12 yards away. When the house sparrows are around it's as if their spidey sense kicks in and they scatter like roaches at the whiff of me coming to the sliding porch door. I have to observe them from another window and not make too much movement or they'll sound the alert. Many times the only way to even get them to stay when I'm around is to already be ready for them by staying very still in the dark corner of the room.

These birds have learned over time that they are the only species that are not allowed at my feeding stations and have learned to watch all the windows of my house for any silhouette of a man. They even have have guard duties for birds that solely watch the windows while the other ones feed and they know how to work around the clock when I'm not around. I can see on the bird feeder cameras that they know when the best time to feed is when I'm at work, I've even put a "scarecrow" of me by the window to see if that'll keep them away while I'm at work and they've learned to watch me leave in the morning and know they're safe. As much as I don't like these birds I have to say these birds are truly a worthy adversary for our ongoing war.

Last edited:
Know your enemy. Females can be difficult to identify for newbies. In which case just pass on them and take the bull males. It takes two to tango.

I vary my shooting positions. My preferred rifle is a .25 caliber Marauder tuned down to 50 fpe. It is quiet, accurate, deadly. If they are in trees I might switch to the Urban, just seems I can thread that .22 pellet through the branches better. In rural areas they can be very wary, but they are not all that smart really.

Reactions: Doc C.
Too busy to clean up the carcasses? (POOF!)
Actually, it is the wind and distance. I engage them often beyond 50 yards. And it is generally windy here. I prefer to stay in closer but sometimes I cannot. Four of my five boxes are within sight from my primary position though hidden from each other which allows me to snipe HOSPs from the boxes though the furtherest box is out at around 75 yards.

The Longest Shot in the West at the Battle of Adobe Walls, Texas by Billy Dixon is still highly regarded. Well, the buffalo hunters had prior to the engagement been funning around shooting dirt clods or whatever from the top of a mountain on the far horizon. So they were well ranged for the distance with their Sharps 45 and 50 caliber rifles. Then the native fellows (whose side I prefer) attacked the hunters for whatever reason, maybe they thought it would be fun too. In any case, the battle resulted in a frustrating affair for the natives who retreated to the far top of that same mountain. One of the warriors, a fine brave, decided to ride back to the top as the rest of the band, thinking the hunters were bad medicine, left and the warrior then mooned the hunters. So the story goes that one of the hunters bet Billy he could not shoot the mooning warrior from his horse. Billy took the bet and the rest is history, the Longest Shot in the West! So, how does this tie in with my HOSPs? Well sir, I got their ranges and I am pretty good at doping for wind ;). And while I claim no record like Billy's long shot, those HOSPs are not safe out there, not at all :eek: .

Last edited:
Yes, I hate HOSPs. I have a blue bird trail and the HOSP are extremely destructive to native song birds like the eastern blue bird. I have a sparrow trap and use it during nesting season but my primary means of protecting my blue birds is shooting the HOSPs. I lost count this year at over 100 down. And do not try to convince me it is not effective, no, I cannot get them all but I can relieve the pressure on my native birds.

Just two days ago I saw three blue birds flitting about near my east box. They appeared to be agitated and then I saw the problem. A HOSP had gone in the box and the female blue bird had fled. Now, it is too early to nest but the blue birds sometimes get in the box and check on it or to avoid intense cold even in the winter. The female was sitting on a branch and the HOSP chased her and then went and got in the box. One of the males was trying to get it out, looking in the entrance hole, to no avail. I grabbed my Marauder Super Light, on ready, sure enough the HOSP came out, chased the male and then went and lighted atop the box. Bad move bugger, he met a .25 caliber 34 grain JSB hauling along at 900+ fps! The blue birds actually inspected the dead HOSP looking at it and turning their heads side to side to get a good look. They were happy!

Snakes, raccoons, whatever are at least part of the natural environment and I use baffles to discourage them. HOSPs are aggressive, begin nesting earlier, destroy the native eggs and build their nests right over the remains. HOSPs are invasive pests and the native birds just have no natural evolved means of dealing with them, but I do.

My Night Stalker on duty while the Super Light gets some TLC:

Dang!