house sparrow using a cowbird for cover

For purely ethical reasons, I would shoot the Brown headed cowbird and leave the HOSP. And I have shot MANY of both, though I don't usually say so publicly.

They (brown headed Cowbird) lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and let them raise them. This may be their natural way or habit, but it is a good reason to kill them.

Sounds too much like what is going on today, in SO many ways. (double heavy sigh)

For purely ethical reasons, I would shoot the Brown headed cowbird and leave the HOSP. And I have shot MANY of both, though I don't usually say so publicly.

They (brown headed Cowbird) lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and let them raise them. This may be their natural way or habit, but it is a good reason to kill them.

Sounds too much like what is going on today, in SO many ways. (double heavy sigh)
cowbirds are indigenous they are what they are but they are not euro crap birds introduced to north america

starlings and hosps get full on killl because they do change the environment, my pesting means blue birds can nest

I did not know that hosps are detrimental to Bluebirds. That *might* explain why I haven't seen any BBs in a while.\

P.s. I do usually see one mating pair of Bluebirds in my backyard, but haven't seen them in about a week or 2.

However, where I live I have to make a choice of what to shoot. If I were to shoot at all the HOSPs that are not pests for me, then I would be shooting a lot more and might be more likely to arouse complaints from neighbors. I have to choose carefully what I shoot and when.

So, I only shoot pests that cause damage/problems for ME. With the exception of the occasional Starling or Brown Headed Cowbird. Those are so few that I don't even keep track of them.

The Starlings (non-native) because I have seen how viciously they will attack the indigenous wood peckers and the Cowbirds for the reason(s) I stated above.

I only kill about one or two Cowbirds and less than a dozen Starlings over the course of a year. So few of each that I don't keep records.

To each their own.

Last edited:
Sparrow don’t like milo which is a cheaper filler for economical bird seed. The seed tossed out by sparrows is readily taken by doves. Great shot though. Love to see that.
5BE1D617-79A9-400E-9B9B-57302CD9DA17.jpeg

those sandhill cranes dont mind what the sparrows kick out, they leave dog size turds in the yard. Or maybe i got a yote lurking, scat is filled with seeds

Last edited:
I did not know that hosps are detrimental to Bluebirds. That *might* explain why I haven't seen any BBs in a while.

However, where I live I have to make a choice of what to shoot. If I were to shoot at all the HOSPs that are not pests for me, then I would be shooting a lot more and might be more likely to arouse complaints from neighbors.

So, I only shoot pests that cause damage/problems for ME. With the exception of the occasional Staring or Brown Headed Cowbird. Those are so few that I don't even keep track of them.

The Starlings (non-native) because I have seen how viciously they will attack the indigenous wood peckers and the Cowbirds for the reason(s) I stated above.

I only kill about one or two Cowbirds and less than a dozen Starlings over the course of a year. So few of each that I don't keep records.

To each their own.
there is 6+ bluebird houses on the property, best year in 20 years is 2 familys

there is 6+ bluebird houses on the property, best year in 20 years is 2 familys

I don't know if that is typical for Bluebirds, but I will count myself lucky in that I have a mating pair that frequents my backyard, but I really don't know where they stay. I just see them about every other day and sometimes everyday. As I said, I don't know where they stay and I don't have any Bluebird boxes out on my property... but I may add some.