• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hoses and their fittings/Need to learn the differences.

I received a new fill set today. It came from Best Fittings, and seems to be of higher quality than some of the other hoses and fittings that I have. Seems like everybody sells hoses with female quick connections, leaving me with a pile of excess female quick connections. I weed them out so that the quick connects with 5/tiny ball bearings in the collars are not used. I use the quick connects with 6 ball bearings.
The Best Fittings appear to have conical mounting surfaces, whereas the cheaper hoses have flat-face mounting surfaces. The two types do not seem to match up and seal, as every pair that I have put together leaks.
I assume that the conical mounting surfaces have a specific name, and that Best Fittings may not be the only source for these fittings?
Maybe if I know the name of the conical fittings, I can stick with them, since they seal better.
Anyone know the name of these, please let me know.
Thanks!

Screenshot_20231226_183603_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not a proprietary design.....
What they have in Common.. BSPP threading.... So there is No Sealing Action on the Threads since they are Straight... Not Tapered....
So some use a Dowety or Bonded sealing washer to create a seal...
Others use an internal conical sealing surface. This is Mostly used on "Swivel" style fitting!
They can be mixed... But Only the fitting that use a swivel in it's design must use the corresponding conical sealing fitting.....

Reactions: Pfddi
Thanks folks!
You are all quite helpful at showing me the various messes facing me in regards to fittings. I think I’ll need a stiff drink to face these multiple variations.🤦🏼‍♂️
And what doesn’t help is there’s no marking on them typically to identify the variety. Some of them can only be determined with a gauge or a good working knowledge of the variety of designs. I worked in industrial maintenance for many years on machine tools from all over the globe. I saw a wide variety of different fittings, often times difficult to source replacements locally.

Well there are many types of Fitting designs and standards.. Only a couple is used in HPA in PCP
BSPP and NPT..... Most Quality Fitting and or company who is focused on HPA will use them
Here are some Photos of BSPP fitting types and sealing .....
Here is a standard BSPP Swivel hose Fitting: Note the Conical sealing projection internally..
Bspp1.jpg

Bspp8.jpg

Here is a standard union with a conical seating surface..
Bspp7.jpg

This mates with the above swivel socket with a perfect seal... no other parts needed!
Bspp6.jpg

Now the fun begins... if the BSPP connection doesn't involve a swiveling part...
Bspp2.jpg

There are a couple of ways of sealing the connection....
Bspp3.jpg

You can use a Sealing bonded washer -"Dowty seal"
Bspp4.jpg

Or you can use and internal Delrin insert!!
Bspp5.jpg

BTW... all these connection or good Up to 5000psi min....Limiting factor is the rating of the fitting itself!

I will add that Chinese compressors & filters are frequently using metric fittings, e.g. my Toauto coalescing filter uses M10x1.0mm fittings for both input & output.
Like I said in my above Post..... Quality guns and or companies who Make Quality parts and compressors....

Also Forgot to Mention.... another Standard fitting for TANKS... DIN.....

Curious why some manufacturers use probes and others use Foster male.
And probe users have several different probe designs. Too bad they can’t agree on a single system. Heck it would be great if everybody used one set of drawing dimensions for Foster male and females so any manufactures parts will mate with any other manufacturers.

The Smart designer or Engineer will make their gun to easily fitted, or filled with "Off the Shelf" fittings.....
Then Other want to Pigeon hole the designs to Only use Their Proprietary fitting.... sad...
But at least there is one company- Best Fittings, and used be another company RAW..
They make fittings to make it possible to use standard Foster QD socket in place of the Proprietary Fill Probe

Last edited: