Horrible flinching before shot

SimpleGuy, if you are shooting a PCP then practice just shooting air (no ammo) , however if you are shooting a spring gun you must not shoot it without ammo, teach yourself a breathing technique, as in take a deep breath , hold it , the squeeze the trigger. Hope this helps
I would not be shooting pcps without ammo. there are some that you will blow at least one of the seals out. Particuly thinking about Fx Impacts

You won't flinch if you practice follow through. Pull the trigger and focus on staying relaxed and letting the gun shoot. Don't try to see where the bullet hits focus on keeping the rifle still. Follow through as many have stated is important in air gun shooting. Dry firing is an important technique for good offhand shooting. I dry fire my PCP's often. Some 20 years old with no problems.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I don't know if it's been suggested before, but why not get some coaching? Objective input is huge when it comes to improving at anything. If you are nearby, I'll be happy to do so in person.

Long ago, as a student in a firearms (pistol) instructor certification course, I developed a terrible flinch and spent hours dry-firing to correct it. Thousands of dry-fire TRBs* later, it was no longer there. Oddly enough, I had a few failure to fires happen during quals at the end and the instuctor complimented me on how quickly the pistol was put back into service.

If nothing else, you can get video, post it and then people can coach remotely.

Luck,

J~

*Tap-Rack-Bang.

Something that can develop a flinch or anticipation is when the trigger is too light. On a day when everything is going perfect I never know when my sear breaks. When on target start your trigger pull, press or what you want ever you want to call it, maintaining your sight picture. when the sear breaks mentally call your shot and follow thru.

I have to have at least a pot or 2 of coffee first ... Its the caffeine i cant dowith out. Lol.. first cup or 2 morning shots i seem to shoot well..

Thing is settled mg you gun up and shoot , shoot, shoot.. ya, know i call it the 3 P's
Practice
Patience &
Pellets.

Heck i was getting hold lazy and had to go back to fun de men tails retraining..😁

Although I grew up shooting in the hills of WV and was always effective I moved to a state where ammo, even BBs, were tightly regulated.

To enjoy my shooting I joined a Sportsman Association with all the ranges for archery, silhouette, pistol, and rifle. However, I had to get a Carry Permit to get my guns to the club… which meant taking every NRA course available as well as written and performance tests. In short I had to go back to school to enjoy knowledge I though I already knew. But, I ended up learning a lot. Like when I turned a childhood electronics hobby into a profession, “book learnin” significantly enhanced my abilities.

Then, once I joined the pistol team that competed across the state, I practiced… hours, days, months shooting thousands of rounds one 5shot clip per target at a time… per week. After a time that S&W at the end of my arm shot itself. I watched in amazement.

There are precise, well documented, trainings for shooting disciplines. Get the documentation and get to know them, step by step. Then, after ten or twenty thousands of pellets down range you will begin to be a shooter. Begin, because what follows is but a small fraction of the shooting picture focused on a single element.

That said, I have one thing I do I learned from those pistol training days, the hows and whys of how to hold my trigger… hand. Not just my finger. The Herrett grips on my already excellent pistol ensured my hand, including trigger finger, thumb, and supporting three were always in THAT position.

Better rifles like my Huntsman have stocks with that same, very important, alignment in mind… including a ‘cubby’ for the thumb, but it can be emulated with any gun. This cubby on the back ridge of a grip/stock helps execute a precise, finely controlled, instinctive sear release… as the trigger is NOT pulled but squeezed between the trigger finger and the opposing thumb. No muscles involved but the gentle pinch between the forefinger’s tip and thumb. On guns with “normal” stocks/grips I fashion a reference for my thumb’s placement.

Knowledge combined with practice, practice, practice, practice. Some serious seated meditation is invaluable in teaching mental, and physical preparation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treefrog and qball
Trigger drills. Forget about the target and sights and focus on the trigger. Loaded or unloaded, in a safe place, practice trigger pull and try to feel the machine marks. Try to find where it breaks. A perfect shot will always surprise you.
Once I line up on a target, it becomes secondary, and I focus on the trigger looking for that sweet spot.

Another thing to consider is how comfortable is your rifle to shoulder?
If you have to find it or make any effort to get it just right, then you have a fit issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treefrog