Tuning Hoppes #9 for cleaning?

Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner is far superior to Hoppe's #9. It also prevents future leading and copper fouling. I follow up with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil. I lube my pellets with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil, and have never had a leading issue even with high power PCP use even at over 900 FPS.

Hoppe's #9 can also cause issues for people like me with multiple chemical sensitivities, but Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner is hypoallergenic and has practically no odor. Hoppe's #9 is far obsolete, but as long as people keep buying it I guess Hoppe's will keep selling it.

Since using Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner in my firearms, they clean up in a fraction of the time, and copper fouling is almost nonexistent. I have never had a leading issue in my high power PCP since lubing pellets with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil. Airguns shooting under 900 FPS should never have leading problems anyway, unless you have a rough bore.

I think cleaning a barrel is a bit like brushing your teeth, the kind of toothpaste isn't nearly as important as the brush. I have used most of the products mentioned, they all work fine, but I always remove the the barrel and breech seal. I've used both nylon and bronze brushes, they both work well, and neither will harm the barrel. That said, I find that most air rifle barrels seldom, if ever need cleaning with a brush. I shoot only standard power, cut rifled barrels. I expect that HP rifles with poly barrels are a different matter. 

I've neve see a cut rifle bbl. in an airgun. Most are button rifled, and a few hammer forged, but not cut rifling. Perhaps, styer? . 

Even makers of the top, hand lapped match barrels in pb's say to NEVER use a bronze brush in them. I use nylon only with rather expensive rods with proper bearings in the handle. Many of my ag's are slug shooter with custom barrels. NO Bronze Brushes! Ever!!!

Knife

Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner is far superior to Hoppe's #9. It also prevents future leading and copper fouling. I follow up with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil. I lube my pellets with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil, and have never had a leading issue even with high power PCP use even at over 900 FPS.

Hoppe's #9 can also cause issues for people like me with multiple chemical sensitivities, but Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner is hypoallergenic and has practically no odor. Hoppe's #9 is far obsolete, but as long as people keep buying it I guess Hoppe's will keep selling it.

Since using Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner in my firearms, they clean up in a fraction of the time, and copper fouling is almost nonexistent. I have never had a leading issue in my high power PCP since lubing pellets with Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil. Airguns shooting under 900 FPS should never have leading problems anyway, unless you have a rough bore.

Sorry, but the Elite is highly acidic and never leave it in a bbl longer than 15 minutes. In test after test, bench rest shooters have found the old Hoppe's #9 superior in ever respect. the Elite is dangerous to breath. Designed for serious copper fouling which we do not have. Do a little research. 

Knifemaker,

I worked in biomedical engineering for 15 years in a clinical environment. My personal physician was Dr. William Rea from Dallas, and he is the highest qualified environmental medicine doctor in the world. Learned a few things from him. Since I have multiple chemical sensitivities, I know what I respond to, and I respond to Hoppe's #9 and not to Hoppe's Elite. Hoppe's Elite and M-Pro 7 are both made by Pantheon and come in the exact same bottle except for the label and act exactly the same. As far as doing research, I did the research and M-Pro 7 and Hoppe's Elite are hypoallergenic. I had to find something to replace Hoppe's #9. M-Pro 7 was made for military service where armorers who have constant contact with cleaning chemicals were having adverse reactions to the product then in use. I checked the websites at the time and the product was specifically stated as being hypoallergenic. I am allergic to "smelly" petroleum products, and Hoppe's #9 affects me. Hoppe's Elite and M-Pro 7 do not affect me. Maybe it's because I am "highly reptilian"??? Lower than normal heart rate, lower than normal blood pressure, lower than normal body temp, eyes changed from brown to green as I got older, hair went gray at a young age, several of the other classic reptilian characteristics. If M-Pro 7 and Hoppe's Elite are acidic, then I am immune from it, and so are my CZ rifles. If that's the case, I'll just start calling it "snake oil".

I repeat, Pantheon specifically made these products to address allergic reactions in military armorers. I have left both products in the bores of my CZ rifles for way over 15 minutes for 10 years and my bores are mirror bright and they are all very sub-minute of angle with my handloads. I always finish up with some Hoppe's Elite gun oil to protect the bores.

Phil

P.S. I only use Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil in my airgun bore, or Napier Power Airgun Oil or Power Airgun Grease for my seals. The Gun Cleaners are only for my firearms. As for coppering, if you shoot H&N Rund Kugeln like I sometimes do, which are copper coated, there MIGHT be coppering in an airgun bore, but I've never seen it. But I rarely shoot it anyway and only a few when I do.

It's a good idea when using any cleaning solvent to do so in a well ventilated area. Wearing gloves is also a good safety practice. Different people react differently to various chemicals. Some chemicals though relatively benign in themselves, can become hundreds or thousands of times more powerful and deadly in combination.

Professional poisoners often exposed a victim to one substance that was relatively benign in itself but which "set them up" for a deadly reaction to a second substance which was usually benign and not noticed by itself as well. In combination, they were deadly to the victim. For instance, a person exposed to the first substance could set down at a dinner where the second substance was in food or drink. The intended victim would be done in, when all others would suffer little or no ill effect.

Napoleon survived many poisoning attempts. After capture by the British, and in spite of being under guard by officers, he finally succumbed to poisoning after later exhumation and forensic analysis proved the fact. Arsenic was found in his corpse.

An environmental medical doctor told me that there are so many chemicals and so many toxic combinations of chemicals and various reactions to them by various people that it is absolutely impossible to determine with certainty all of the toxic combinations possible.

Bottom line: Be careful with chemicals even though they have been tested as safe when used by themselves.