Hoping y'all can help me choose a springer.

Like others have said a HW50 or HW95 would work well. Just my personal opinion I’d stay away from a .20 cal pellet gun. Pellets are next to impossible to find. Before responding here I looked at Krale, Pyramid Air, Utah Airguns and Air Guns of Arizona. All 4 were out of stock on .20 cal pellets. I did find H&N Baracuda’s on Amazon for $49.99 a tin. eBay had some as well(JSB and a few other I’ve never heard of) they ranged anywhere from $49.99-$60 a tin before shipping. Just something to think about before someone try’s to talk you into a .20

Reactions: HeyU
Well perhaps one should plan ahead.
20220525_105123.1653490430.jpg
20220525_105115.1653490431.jpg

Like others have said a HW50 or HW95 would work well. Just my personal opinion I’d stay away from a .20 cal pellet gun. Pellets are next to impossible to find. Before responding here I looked at Krale, Pyramid Air, Utah Airguns and Air Guns of Arizona. All 4 were out of stock on .20 cal pellets. I did find H&N Baracuda’s on Amazon for $49.99 a tin. eBay had some as well(JSB and a few other I’ve never heard of) they ranged anywhere from $49.99-$60 a tin before shipping. Just something to think about before someone try’s to talk you into a .20

Don't own the HW50 but I do have a HW95 in .22 that's been an excellent small game rifle. Any other time I'd also say consider .20 caliber since I also own a Beeman R9 in .20 along with 7 other rifles in the caliber, but Teber nailed it when he mentioned .20 cal pellets being almost impossible to find. The fact there are only 6 kinds still made in .20, 2 by H&N, 2 by JSB, Predator Polymags and Benji Domes makes it even harder. Lame guess on my part but the guess is the few makers have .20 on the very back burner while they try to keep up with demand for the other, more popular calibers.

I've emailed the few retailers that still carry/sell them and while they all say they're waiting, not a single one can say when they might actually show up and when they do, they're gone in a couple hours. The last place I saw any was Straight Shooters and some H&N Baracudas but by the time I made sure I had the funds to order, they were already gone, so like Teber said, right now, anything .20 is a caliber to stay away from at least until the market catches back up. 

I have a 77, 80, 90 and a 97 all in .25. Now I eliminated tree rats with all but the 90. Doesn’t travel as fast but what a whack. Also you can see the shot travel, (really cool). I also have 77, 80 and 97 in .177, .22 and .25. When I hit spinners on range the .25 blows the other 2 away and just as accurate in all models. I recently bought Balistic gel and you guessed it the .25 penetrated farthest. I would like a 98 in .25 someday. I’m not an expert like a lot of these members, just my observation. Crow 

I have a 77, 80, 90 and a 97 all in .25. Now I eliminated tree rats with all but the 90. Doesn’t travel as fast but what a whack. Also you can see the shot travel, (really cool). I also have 77, 80 and 97 in .177, .22 and .25. When I hit spinners on range the .25 blows the other 2 away and just as accurate in all models. I recently bought Balistic gel and you guessed it the .25 penetrated farthest. I would like a 98 in .25 someday. I’m not an expert like a lot of these members, just my observation. Crow

Canada-spec guns, or full power?

My R7 and R9 .20's shoot everything except the heavy 15.89gr very well. Whether they will or not, Teber's point and a very valid one is unless you already have a couple rifles in .20 and a small stash of pellets for them, it's not a wise idea currently to buy any rifle in .20 and then have no pellets to shoot out of it. 

A lot of very good recommendations already posted for both .177 and .22 and why their owners recommend them. Don't envy the OP having to try and make the choice just because everyone has given very, very good reasons why to pick one of the 2....lol.

Happy New Year Crow. I remember back about 60 + years ago , a neighbor used to go up to Canada for work. He never had a problem carrying a firearm up there, crossing the border with one in either direction. My how things have changed. In some ways I would like to live up there but with the "progressive" system and firearms laws I think not. We had a couple of physicians about 40 years ago left Canada and moved down here to Texas to get away from the medical system up there.