Taipan Hopefully fixing my Taipan Veteran .25 leak with o-rings and Huma-Air regulator

I have been thinking about a Huma reg for my Taipan Veteran .25 for a while and now I have a reason -- maybe. I noticed a few weeks after filling my Taipan Veteran .25 that the pressure had dropped down to about 100 bar. I replaced the o-rings on each end of the air tube and the 2 on the factory regulator. I tried to fill it back up but it wouldn't fill past 125 bar. When I stopped, it dropped back down to ~95 bar. So, I'm using this as an excuse to get a Huma regulator. As a matter of fact, I just ordered it. Is there something else I might need to be aware of when the new regulator arrives?

Nope. Did you tell huma what pressure you would like it set at? They will set it and test it before sending it out if you have a preferred pressure.
I also suggest contacting Taipan and getting a rebuild kit so you always have a backup.

Thanks for reminding me! I just sent them a note telling them to set mine at 150 bar since that was what was written on the factory regulator.

Reactions: Florida_Man
You may find that replacing your reg, that the gun still leaks air. It might be a good idea to replace all O-rings. I did a Veteran O-ring re-seal job a couple years ago for a friend. The main culprit on his gun was the O-ring the sits between the air tube and the receiver block. I believe the part number on the Veteran exploded diagram is #99

Last edited:
You may find that replacing your reg, that the gun still leaks air. It might be a good idea to replace all O-rings. I did a Veteran O-ring re-seal job a couple years ago for a friend. The main culprit on his gun was the O-ring the sits between the air tube and the receiver block. I believe the part number on the Veteran exploded diagram is #99
I decided to try checking the barrel so I started filling until it got above 110 bar and put some soapy water on my finger tip and placed it over the end of the barrel. Sure enough, that's where it's coming from. I'm not a rifle expert so where do I look for that type of leak on a Taipan Veteran .25?

I decided to try checking the barrel so I started filling until it got above 110 bar and put some soapy water on my finger tip and placed it over the end of the barrel. Sure enough, that's where it's coming from. I'm not a rifle expert so where do I look for that type of leak on a Taipan Veteran .25?
Do you have a schematic of the gun? If not, there have been posts on AGN with the photo, that way you can identify the O-ring.

Did you try changing the o ring behind the gauge? Recently one of my taipans was having an issue with leaking and I changed all o rings except for that one. Guess which o ring it was after the 20th time opening up the gun...
Like you, I opened up my buddies gun several times, thinking I knew where the bad ring was. Next time I do a re-seal job on a Vet, I'm opening it once and replacing ALL O-rings at the same time.

Did you try changing the o ring behind the gauge? Recently one of my taipans was having an issue with leaking and I changed all o rings except for that one. Guess which o ring it was after the 20th time opening up the gun...
Where is that located on this diagram
Taipan Exploded View.jpeg

OK. I finally got the o-ring (#99) out and replaced it but not until after taking out the valve and lapping the valve seal to the face of the valve with some Tormek polish I had. In the meantime, my Huma-Air regulator showed up. The only problem was their plenum was not long enough so I had an old one that I cut a piece off of to make the regulator line up correctly in the air tube. I then filled it to 250 bar and it has been holding for about 2 hours now with no noticeable leaks. If it continues to hold I will tune it tomorrow since the weather is supposedly going to be nice here. Thanks for all of the help everyone!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.H
OK. I finally got the o-ring (#99) out and replaced it but not after taking out the valve and lapping the valve seal to the face of the valve with some Tormek polish I had. In the meantime, my Huma-Air regulator showed up. The only problem was their plenum was not long enough so I had an old one that I cut a piece off of to make the regulator line up correctly in the air tube. I then filled it to 250 bar and it has been holding for about 2 hours now with no noticeable leaks. If it continues to hold I will tune it tomorrow since the weather is supposedly going to be nice here. Thanks for all of the help everyone!!!
Did you let Huma know about the plenum issue? Maybe it will help someone else not get the wrong part.
Hope everything else goes well.

After installing the Huma-Air regulator, I started with 145 bar, then changed to 130 bar for fun, then went back up to 140 bar where I finally settled. The max speed I could get was 950 fps and 95% of that was 902.5 fps. I got a pretty good group at about 904 fps and I'm sticking with it. That's about 46fpe and good enough for me. I'm not sure how many shots I get with JSB 25 grain pellets but it seems like it's around 50. The Taipan is easy to work on and has very few o-rings compared to some other rifles. I think it fits my needs, especially since I have a .177, .22 and .25. Thanks for all your comments!