• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Honest opinions on AEA Rifles

I recently bought an AEA HP SS 22 semiauto in the classifieds.

In about a week:
-the rod which connects the bolt to the part under the shroud disconnected 3 times
-my 3 magazines broke, because the spring jumped out of the holes
-has a slow leak too (40 bar in 24 hours)

I have spent hours researching the AEA HP semiauto platform, which is discontinued by the way.
I have spent 2 hours and fixed the 3 magazines by using pliers to extend the spring ends.

The semiauto action could not be fixed, since the bolt handle and the rod connecting to it would disconnect every 3 magazines or so.
The design was bad, because the rod had only 3-4 thread to attach to the bolt handle.
The bolt handle and the rod were available for $15 each from the Pellet Shop (plus about $9 shipping).

In semiauto there was as much recoil as in a springer.
There were fewer shots, and the accuracy was worse.

I decided to convert my AEA HP semiauto to bolt action, which I like much better now.
The build quality on the AEA HP SS is really good, better than the Umarex Notos, Benjamin Prod, Kral NP03, etc

The build quality might be the best feature on the AEA HP platform.
The second best feature is how compact the AEA HP SS is, about 18-19 inches with the stock folded.

Last edited:
I have a big 9 challenger. Worst trigger on the face of the earth but otherwise works as it should. As for ever buying another one? Highly unlikely. Why? Because this company has yet to figure out the simple fact that every other manufacturer on the planet has. That an adjustable hammer spring tension is a must with and adjustable regulator. Says all I need to know about their engineering.

Reactions: nobody1 and Perle
I adjust my hammer spring by screwing the stock in or out. You have about 3/8 of an inch play you can use. The cylinder in the front that surounds the barrel and is screwed into the hardened bolt rod can adjust up toward the end of the barrel for a stiffer cycle or away for a softer cycle. This is true for the HP and Terminator models which is all I have shot.

I shoot a 25 TD daily. I have found tha slugs shoot as well and feed with much more reliability than pellets. I have 8k through this gun and have one poppet go bad and the bolt broke stripping the hardened rod. Both just recently. They are made for power and their SA action attracted me for hunting guns. They do recoil but not to the point of loosing your target in the scope and follow up shots are almost instantanious.

I can't speak for the their bolt-action rifles, but their semi-auto lineup leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest issues are the magazines, which have a tendancy to break or even "explode" in some cases, and the valve pin breaks easily as well. Mine broke just 2 days after purchase. Getting parts in Europe was also very difficult at the time. Wolfiek Group has since started their own AEA webshop so I imagine that has improved since then.

What infuriates me the most is that AEA doesn't offer any solutions to these problems. The same errors carry over from one model to the next. Sure, some of these rifles are pretty cheap compared to other brands, but that excuse is becoming less and less applicable. The AEA Terminator, S45 and SF series are all above 1k, with some approaching 2k.

Loving my Hp Max 457. Already thinking about a second one. I have heard to stay away from the semiauto's. From what I have read. A lot of the other high end brands have the same issues. I also don't see more AEA's from sale used than any other brand. I am on my second round of adjusting my barrel further in to take the play out of the magazine. I will admit I am looking forward to a better aftermarket mag, but hoping I can get the current one to cycle a little better.

Reactions: Perle
Did you try adjusting the barrel? My mag wasn't cycling very well. I screwed the barrel a little further in. It cycles better. Just gave it another small turn in last night. Looking forward to taking out soon.
the mags would not work with the other aea gun i had as well.
tried to get warranty replacements and was told i had to pay shipping both ways......