• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Honest opinions on AEA Rifles

I see a lot of reviews and tests and for the most part it seems like the majority of AEA rifles are very accurate. The prices aren't ridiculous and they look pretty good overall.
What my concern is why is there so many for sale in the classifieds?
I am in the market for a 25 cal pcp and my budget can't stand up to a $2000.00 rifle without glass .
If anyone has owned a Challenger pro for a while maybe chime in and let me know if you're completely happy or not .
Thanks in advance ,
Terry

I purchased a used Challenger pro in 25 cal.
Folding stock had some play in it, cured that by just cutting a piece of gasket material placing it in between where it folds and it provides enough tension to stiffen it up considerably

Trigger is a little stiff probably in the 3 lb range. Pretty much comparable to a Air Force gun. Very predictable always breaks in the same place.

The gun is definitely muzzle end heavy. I like shooting this gun off a bench but would never want to carry it around in the field.

Loud AF. Tried a fat boy on it and it didn't do much but that doesn't surprise me.

I have it turned down a considerable amount. Still shooting h&m barracudas at 925 I believe I was getting 40 to 50 shots before falling off the reg. The reg is set at 125

Magazines are kind of a pain in the butt to load but mine seem to function fine and dandy. Just make sure you don't lose the center screw or it may come loose and you'll have to snug it back up

I like that you can remove the picatinny rails on top and just use the dovetails if you choose to. I did and that lowers my scope height considerably

Not at all pellet fussy, barracudas JSB 25.4, you name it shoots everything pretty well. JSBs and the barracudas shoot the best. I've not tried any slugs in this gun yet

The 3D printed single shot tray is garbage. I just use the magazine. If you want a single shot with the magazine just load one pellet in the normal way without preloading the spring. Works fine

Hope this helps. If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me. It might take me a day or two to get back to you but I will. I've got some pretty serious back issues going on so I don't know how much longer I'll be shooting.

I've had 5 AEA guns, I've sold one HP in .25 as it was too heavy. Great 100 yard gun, no issues with accuracy.

I have the "big 9" .357/9mm Challenger that is SUPER loud, 1 MOA at 100 yards but kicks like a .223 and uses lots of air.

Oh yeah, it shoots 158gr semi flat points for 300 fpe. Will take whitetails no problem.

The .22 carbine is semi-auto and is good for 50 yards with minute of squirrel head accuracy.

I’ve had worse luck than most with those guns. I would suggest finding an alternative, or getting one of the simplest lowest powered guns that would be unlikely to tear itself apart.

I could not get HP max 357 to hold air for long, even after return for service. Was sent a replacement that had the same issues. The valve seat broke every hundred shots are so. That was returned and the third gun which is still have is a .25 carbine.

Neither gun looked brand new beneath the surface, in the sense that there were odd parts that looked used and didn’t match the diagrams for the guns - for example, a worn flat head screw where there was supposed to be a hex nut according to the repair video, weird, fragile prototype part were the guage attached that needed updating and so on

The .25 Hp carbine is accurate and fun to shoot, and better put together than the Hp max. I enjoy this one. Unfortunately it has fragile valve pins so you will need extras and the semi auto mechanism tends to jam unless specific pellets are used.

I just got a Kral empire xs for a bit less than the price of the AEA guns I have… night and day in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Feels like a design that has been tested and refined carefully and the AEA guns i have handled are not there yet. For example, it uses the same mechanism of magazine as the AEA but they are designed to be much more pleasant to load. AEA mags are slippery and tightly wound… you get used to it, but I will occasionally loose my grip when loading the first pellet and the spring sends it flying.

My advice, which is heavily biased by my experiences, would be to wait until some third or fourth iteration of these guns comes out.

I have limited experience compared to many here… I’ve used airforce, hatsan, Kral, AEA. If you are looking for a .25 non semi auto, a Kral empire x or xs is a much much nicer gun than the AEA’s I have handled and also for about $500-$600

Last edited:
I've had a few AEA, they're good guns if you get a good one. I had a .25 assasin that would shoot great, but the magazines were trash. I had an AEA standard a bit less power than the AEA varmint, great gun. Just too long for me, sold it. And my buddy had an AEA max in 357 thst we share, so far it's reliable, but I have heard not so great things from other. All brands have lemons here and there, but AEA has considerably more lemons than most. I heard just as many good things about the challenger pro as I have heard/read bad things about it.

They have their place in the airgun world. As mentioned though, there’s lemons to be had. Just remember though, you’ll hear about ALL the lemons of any brand but only a small percentage of the good ones.

As such, they are simple guns and easy to work on. The big power ones suffer from broken poppets due to the raw power of cracking the valve needed. I consider poppets in these like a fuse. Easy and cheap (compared to other parts) to replace.

Accuracy seems to not be a complaint these days, they must have got the factory to start doing a proper crown instead of cutting a chamber leade in it, lol. Of all 3 I have, all needed the crown recut.

Good luck in your quest.

Dave

I purchased a used Challenger pro in 25 cal.
Folding stock had some play in it, cured that by just cutting a piece of gasket material placing it in between where it folds and it provides enough tension to stiffen it up considerably

Trigger is a little stiff probably in the 3 lb range. Pretty much comparable to a Air Force gun. Very predictable always breaks in the same place.

The gun is definitely muzzle end heavy. I like shooting this gun off a bench but would never want to carry it around in the field.

Loud AF. Tried a fat boy on it and it didn't do much but that doesn't surprise me.

I have it turned down a considerable amount. Still shooting h&m barracudas at 925 I believe I was getting 40 to 50 shots before falling off the reg. The reg is set at 125

Magazines are kind of a pain in the butt to load but mine seem to function fine and dandy. Just make sure you don't lose the center screw or it may come loose and you'll have to snug it back up

I like that you can remove the picatinny rails on top and just use the dovetails if you choose to. I did and that lowers my scope height considerably

Not at all pellet fussy, barracudas JSB 25.4, you name it shoots everything pretty well. JSBs and the barracudas shoot the best. I've not tried any slugs in this gun yet

The 3D printed single shot tray is garbage. I just use the magazine. If you want a single shot with the magazine just load one pellet in the normal way without preloading the spring. Works fine

Hope this helps. If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me. It might take me a day or two to get back to you but I will. I've got some pretty serious back issues going on so I don't know how much longer I'll be shooting.

Thanks for the reply Mike, It is helpful when someone actually has the gun in question.
Being the lucky recipient of 3 back surgeries, 16 screws 4 rods and a cage in my lower back, I truly feel bad for anyone with the same problem. I hope you get some relief soon.
I'm 70 and with the neuropathy and nerve damage in both legs, my walking around hunting is done.
When I end up with another rifle it will be 95% a bench gun with maybe a standing / or leaning up against something to take the shot occasionally.
I haven't considered anything over 25 cal at this point.

Best regards,
Terry

I've had a few AEA, they're good guns if you get a good one. I had a .25 assasin that would shoot great, but the magazines were trash. I had an AEA standard a bit less power than the AEA varmint, great gun. Just too long for me, sold it. And my buddy had an AEA max in 357 thst we share, so far it's reliable, but I have heard not so great things from other. All brands have lemons here and there, but AEA has considerably more lemons than most. I heard just as many good things about the challenger pro as I have heard/read bad things about it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, You're correct people always have time to bash something but praise is usually a lot harder to give for some reason.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I have the HP MAX in 35 cal.. the good is it’s accurate with many different rounds and makes 140fpe from a 13” barrel! It is light weight, short, a blast to shoot and great for hunting
The bad is it’s loud and the ugly is that I too have had issues in the past with the valve leaking.
the gun currently is sitting because I can’t get it to take air and I’m in need of a replacement valve seat 😒

I’ve had worse luck than most with those guns. I would suggest finding an alternative, or getting one of the simplest lowest powered guns that would be unlikely to tear itself apart.

I could not get HP max 357 to hold air for long, even after return for service. Was sent a replacement that had the same issues. The valve seat broke every hundred shots are so. That was returned and the third gun which is still have is a .25 carbine.

Neither gun looked brand new beneath the surface, in the sense that there were odd parts that looked used and didn’t match the diagrams for the guns - for example, a worn flat head screw where there was supposed to be a hex nut according to the repair video, weird, fragile prototype part were the guage attached that needed updating and so on

The .25 Hp carbine is accurate and fun to shoot, and better put together than the Hp max. I enjoy this one. Unfortunately it has fragile valve pins so you will need extras and the semi auto mechanism tends to jam unless specific pellets are used.

I just got a Kral empire xs for a bit less than the price of the AEA guns I have… night and day in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Feels like a design that has been tested and refined carefully and the AEA guns i have handled are not there yet. For example, it uses the same mechanism of magazine as the AEA but they are designed to be much more pleasant to load. AEA mags are slippery and tightly wound… you get used to it, but I will occasionally loose my grip when loading the first pellet and the spring sends it flying.

My advice, which is heavily biased by my experiences, would be to wait until some third or fourth iteration of these guns comes out.

I have limited experience compared to many here… I’ve used airforce, hatsan, Kral, AEA. If you are looking for a .25 non semi auto, a Kral empire x or xs is a much much nicer gun than the AEA’s I have handled and also for about $500-$600
The semi auto jams due to the blow back system, it has to much pressure going back against the magazine. You can fix that issue by covering one or 2 of the holes in the centering ring inside the shroud. .22 casings fit well.

Reactions: MrP
I'm also looking into the bolt guns as it seems like if you have to turn the pressures down for better accuracy once you decide pellet preference that is probably where it will stay.
It's like buying a 357 handgun and just shooting 38 sp. Wadcutters, super accurate and they don't beat your gun to death

Reactions: ba49 and MrP
Thanks for taking the time to reply, You're correct people always have time to bash something but praise is usually a lot harder to give for some reason.

A 25 cal pellet at 875 to 925 fps seems to be the sweet spot. So why run at 1000 to 1100 for less accuracy. I understand heavier projectiles requires more air.
And sometimes it is a hoot just to blow crap up:ROFLMAO:
The .25 hades out of the aea standard could be shot at 1000fps with excetional accuracy out to 70yds

I have the HP MAX in 35 cal.. the good is it’s accurate with many different rounds and makes 140fpe from a 13” barrel! It is light weight, short, a blast to shoot and great for hunting
The bad is it’s loud and the ugly is that I too have had issues in the past with the valve leaking.
the gun currently is sitting because I can’t get it to take air and I’m in need of a replacement valve seat 😒
I highly suggest an upgraded / enhanced valve poppet made from delrin or peek.

Last edited:
I have 6 AEA rifles including a Challenger Pro in .22cal. I like the Pro for it's power, accuracy, and good trigger for an AEA. It did have a leaking issue and the regulator took a dump about a month after I got it. I was able to fix the leak and received a new reg. for no cost. It's a good bench gun but it is pretty heavy to carry around. If a great trigger is important to you I don't think you will be happy with an AEA.
I recently bought a used Brocock Bantam Sniper in .22cal. and paid less for it than the new Challenger Pro and there is no comparison. The trigger is excellent. The differences in quality are very apparent. I think AEA guns are good value for the money but to me if you can't do your own work on them you are better to buy a higher quality thus pricier gun used. You can find some great deals out there on used guns that have hardly been used.

Reactions: Southerngunner
I’ve had 7 AEA’s, Hp ss .25, hp carbine .25, challenger bullpup .25, challenger big9 .357 bullpup, challenger pro .357, hp max .30 and max .357. The best out of them all for me was the challenger pro, extremely accurate and reliable. Trigger can be filed and polished to make it nice. The hp ss .25 was a great little semi squirrel gun. Aside from those 2, I had issues with the rest of them, the hp max .357 being the worst of them. If you don’t want to have to work on an airgun yourself then I’d recommend staying away from AEA. If you are set on getting an AEA then I’d recommend the challenger pro

Reactions: MOhunter