• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homemade Targets

C5A564C7-63A9-4674-A5DE-CB3E98CD5C2D.1616701165.jpeg
Putting together some homemade splatter burst targets. Just something to do on a rainy day. 

Reactions: Tronic
Colored paper board. I usually get some stiffer paper like card stock but I grabbed some thin stuff the other day and it worked well also. 

I lay the paper on a piece of cardboard that is larger than the paper. 

Cover the paper with strips of cheap clear packing tape. It’s okay to have it a little long so it sticks to the cardboard. 

Takes 5 strips of packing tape to completely cover the paper. I then cut the tape along the each end of the paper with a utility knife which releases it from where it is taped to the cardboard. Another alternative is just to fold the excess tape around the back but I’ve found the excess tape stuck to the cardboard actually anchors the paper in place and cutting it is quicker. 

I paint over the taped side with the cheapest flat black spray paint I can fine (98 cents a can at Home Depot) and found I get better coverage and can do more targets with a can than with the more expensive paint.

I’m using some cheap sticky dots for aim points but find they don’t stick well when they are hit. When they come off though, the bright paper is exposed so there is still an aim point. I suppose another color paint or a marking pen could be used to make a bull.

$3.86 for 100 sheets of the thinner paper The heavier paper costs a little more

$7.97 for 200 yards of packing tape

$.98 can of paint will do 25-30 targets

C5A564C7-63A9-4674-A5DE-CB3E98CD5C2D.1616701165.jpeg
Putting together some homemade splatter burst targets. Just something to do on a rainy day.

Fine job on this splatter project! I make cardboard templates of 1" circles, and paint my target dots on like that. You can paint a lot of those dots with a quick blast of paint and probably a lot cheaper than the sticky dots that fall off. I use my "not-so-sticky" target dots to re-paint my steel reactive targets white. Then I peel off the 1" dot to expose the grey lead/steel underneath and save the dot on the next white paint job of the steel.

I've being doing these for a while, instead of the sticky dots that fly off when you hit them or get close, I lay pennies or dimes on the paper then spray. When it dries, remove the coins.

Ha ha! If you ever get tired of painting your cash, just go to your local Home Depot and buy one metal electrical outlet box(so cheap you can buy it with the colored coins, lol) and take a small hammer and screwdriver and punch out all the 3/4” and 1/2” round tabs. Use those instead for the paint templates. 

If you want super free, ask an electrician buddy to save them for you. In a day he’s probably punched out a hundred of those. Those things are all over a job site floor!

I've being doing these for a while, instead of the sticky dots that fly off when you hit them or get close, I lay pennies or dimes on the paper then spray. When it dries, remove the coins.

Ha ha! If you ever get tired of painting your cash, just go to your local Home Depot and buy one metal electrical outlet box(so cheap you can buy it with the colored coins, lol) and take a small hammer and screwdriver and punch out all the 3/4” and 1/2” round tabs. Use those instead for the paint templates. 

If you want super free, ask an electrician buddy to save them for you. In a day he’s probably punched out a hundred of those. Those things are all over a job site floor!

great idea augie, i never even thought about that , comes from being (Feeble minded), i have stuck the dime sized stickers on the back of the square boxes, though, i really like the rummage sale stickers, but they have went way up in price, i have a older chevy van that i stuck them on & when i didnt have any stickers i would just shoot & aim for the last shot, i will try to look for the pic, both sides are shot to crap.

@Ramjet- I remember as a kid walking my dog thru the residential housing tracts, of houses being built. I saw these metal, round, knockouts all over the floors. The 3/4” knockout is so close to the size of a quarter, I thought, I could use these to buy a newspaper out of the news stand machines, and get a paper for free!

Never tried it, though, lol

Choosing the trades as my career, I saw those things all over the floor, all day everyday for 34 years! They make good shims if you ever need to shim something up.

ok , now i get it , you are laying the knockouts on the paper to spray paint , i thought you were using the box's to spray the holes with ? , i think that it would work for a template ?

Yes, just lay the knockouts on top of what your painting. 

Those knockouts would make good spinner targets also, lol, but only for a few shots as I believe they are only 18 ga. Metal