Homemade projects

LOL! Yup. Or a similar favorite customer saying of mine when they bring in an old, falling apart, rusted part for repair and balk at the repair cost: "Can't you just run a quick bead on it?"

One of my employees many years ago said the kickstand broke on his Harley and asked me if I'd weld it back together for him. He said his uncle had welded it but it broke again.

This is what he brought me...

kick2 - 2.1607304078.jpg

His uncle must be a real brainiac. I'd have purchased a new aftermarket one myself but this guy was always broke.

I ground away his uncle's bird poop to get back to clean steel, filled it with the mig welder and cleaned it up with a flap disk. I had to fire him a couple of months later because the quality of his work was about like his uncle's and he was an idiot.

kick2 - 1.1607304573.jpg
kick3 -.1607304595.jpg

Reactions: davelarson
I threw together an indoor pellet trap for the weekly postal shoot and some inside practice for when it got cold and nasty.

Simple box design made from whatever I had laying around the shop. Steel plate in back. Only expense was the duct putty that lined the trap.
20201207_192113.1607431501.jpg
I
20201207_192232.1607432077.jpg
I went ahead and printed a bunch of 10M targets and stored them inside the trap.

Of course I forgot they where in there so now I have a big stack of pre perforated targets...dumbass.

Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself then you have no business laughing at anybody else.

I like bells, so have made a variety with all kinds of things that ring. Nothing classy so I'm not posting pics but I thought this might be of interest.
20211119_102214.jpg

It's a training aid for me for offhand and some FT practice from 30 yds or so. I made some sear type latches and when you shoot through the hole, the flag will latch. It's reset by shooting the upper right disc or pulling the string. The box captures a good bit of the lead. The right 2 holes are 1/2" down to 5/16" on the left. It latches pretty well from 5 ft lb up to about 20 ft lb. It's one of my favorite and most challenging targets.

Nice projects posted so far... enjoyable thread.
Bob

VERY nice, Dave ! It looks quite professionally made 👍
Here are some of my bells. They've been shot at a LOT and rebuilt a few times. The oxygen cylinder idea is just a copy of one that LD had in his Temecula Challenge matches years ago. The saw blade one was donated by Wayne Burns who owns a cabinetry business. It is loud but kind of nasty sounding to me but is a really good blade because I've made a couple others that 50 ft lb will go right through. This one has weathered many thousands of shots at some pretty high powers and still no dents. The best one to me is the 2 x 8 x 3/16 structural steel tube. I found a 3 ft piece and hacksaw wouldn't touch it. Had to buy a horizontal bandsaw to cut it into the 2" slices. Rings really sweet and pretty loud. Easy to hear it at way over 100 yds.
20211119_102144.jpg

20211119_102109.jpg

Here are a few. The wind flag is some styrofoam balls from hobby lobby, a piece of a yard sign and the rods from a yard sign with a little piece of hard maple to connect them and a piece of caution flag hanging to it. I gave you a top and bottom view of my shooting bench. The top is 3/4 plywood, the three legs are galvanized 3/4 water pipe. The pipe screws into pipe flanges on angled pieces of 2x4. The legs snap into half circles of pvc on the bottom for transport. On top of the bench is a front rest I made years ago and a little box around my rear bag I use to get it to the right height. There is an air shim (for hanging doors) at the bottom of the box so you can do fine adjustments easily. Last is my know your limits target. I bought brackets from Target Forge to connect the 3/4 conduit frame together. The spinners are mainly 1/4 steel rod bent around 3/4 water pipe (it's a little bigger than 3/4 conduit) with washers welded to the rod. I won't include any close ups of the welds, I'm using flux core so they are ugly but work. I doubled or tripled the washers and welded them together. I also welded the hole closed. They go from 2 inches down to 1/4. The 1/4 is just the rod. The 1/2 is a 5/16 nut. PVC spacers keep the rods apart.

wind flag 2.jpg

br upside down.jpg

br2.jpg

Know your limits target.jpg