Homemade pellet trap

Ben10

Apr 1, 2015
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my homemade pellet trap. I have a few of these, 2 this size and 1 bigger. 

It it has a steel plate in the back and aluminium side plates to protect the wooden box from the pellet splatter (it really does shred through it fast if you don't give it added protection.)

It has a fold up lid and on the front I use the metal brackets to hold my 8mm chipboard backers that I tape my targets to. 

I use use these backers to give clean holes on the target so that there are no tears on the paper. It also makes measuring groups easy... Just open your calipers to 0.22, zero them and measure internally edge to edge. Because your callipers are now minusing the pellet width off already for you it gives you an accurate centre to centre reading - no more guessing where the middle is. 

I will post pictures if people don't understand the idea. 

Here is a picture of how clean it punches the holes through the target 

Reactions: Jama
Ben, your's sure looks better than my first attempt. Built it in late 2013. I need to get a recent photo. She's shot up pretty bad now ;-)
The 45 FPE Cricket has given her a fit ;-)

I have since purchased a Champion .22 Bullet trap and use it more than my old wooden one.
It's a lot easier to reclaim the lead out of the Metal Champion box ;-)

Only problem is on those 100 bulls targets, I can only shoot about 80 bulls, then I would have to turn the target upside down to finish the last 20. The bottom part of the trap where the lead is saved takes up a portion of the target sheet.

"CampFussell"Ben, your's sure looks better than my first attempt. Built it in late 2013. I need to get a recent photo. She's shot up pretty bad now ;-)
The 45 FPE Cricket has given her a fit ;-)

I have since purchased a Champion .22 Bullet trap and use it more than my old wooden one.
It's a lot easier to reclaim the lead out of the Metal Champion box ;-)

Only problem is on those 100 bulls targets, I can only shoot about 80 bulls, then I would have to turn the target upside down to finish the last 20. The bottom part of the trap where the lead is saved takes up a portion of the target sheet.

Those champion traps do look good Jimmy, mine may not be quite as neat as those but it does the same job for a fraction of the cost :)