• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homemade M16 semi-automatic Brocock air cartridge rifle.

Hi all, 
I’m new here so be gentle with me! The Covid lockdown has re-kindled my interest in airguns after 10 years so I thought I might show something that you may not have seen before.

1592480460_19526327665eeb52cc95b7b5.30327381.JPG

1592480536_3080738265eeb5318d5d7c9.91208194.jpg

This is my homemade M16 semi-automatic air cartridge rifle, it shoots 0.177 pellets at about 9ft.lbs the magazine carries up to 15 self-contained precharged air cartridges. These cartridges were made by Brocock in the UK for use in a range of revolvers and rifles such as modified Weihrauch Arminius 38cal revolvers and the Urberti yellowboy rifle. I have one of the Arminius revolvers re-badged by Brocock as the Orion and a fine thing it is, accurate and delivering a full 6 ft. Lbs after using this for a few months and accumulating a large number of cartridges I decided what was needed was a semi-automatic rifle! There were some air cartridge auto cycling pistol conversions available at the time which operated by telescoping to double their original length to operate the action before releasing the air pressure to fire a plastic projectile but power levels and accuracy were poor largely due to the significant motion of the slide before the projectile was fired . I decided therefore to design a system which would store and augment the waste air pressure and apply it to the bolt after the pellet left the bore. What was needed was a test rig to measure pellet speed, bolt force and movement initially it was configured as a rifle but in the picture below is fitted with a six inch pistol barrel.

1592480659_8468718085eeb5393a310e7.82707371.jpg

Using this showed that a cartridge exerted a recoil force of 1571 N or over 350 lbs force but only for 3.4 thousandths of a second. In my work at the time I was using some high powered CFD software to design tuned engine intake systems so I was able to model wave interactions with varying accumulator volume to magnify, delay and sustain the recoil pressure. This gave a starting point for the design but it took many hardware iterations before it was working reliably. At this stage I approached Brocock who asked me to design a rifle for them using this system, unfortunately at this time there were a few instances of criminals re-converting the Brocock pistols to fire live rounds, so in an ill-considered kneejerk reaction the British government banned all weapons using self-contained air cartridges which meant the project had to be cancelled. I was able to keep two of the prototypes along with the Orion pistol which are now classified as section 5 firearms (along with things such as sub-machine guns and assault rifles!) but I am not able to sell or otherwise dispose of them and they will have to be destroyed after my death. I do however still have the rights to the design and also that of the 1911 colt lookalike semi-automatic pistol that I was working on at the time of the ban. There are some links below to youtube videos of the rifle in action and also to the modified air pump I made to charge the cartridges.

Shooting: https://youtu.be/GTQIx_hKT54

Chrono testing: https://youtu.be/YKdfW5mdXFA

Cartridge pump: https://youtu.be/sxLz57loFFo

Ingenious my good Sir!

And Doug, that’s what you can accomplish with an Oscilloscope, and much more. Even harmonic tuning. My use was in acoustics, mainly sustain and tonal variances; but I’ve seen them help to perfect suppressors, structural integrity, etc.
This Gentleman is at a entirely different level I never thought of with timing sines/node wavelengths.

And you said if you just want to watch a screen. Lol. I’m kidding an acquaintance for those that don’t get it. 

To OP (original poster): I had a chance to buy one at 12. Dad had to explain what it was for. If only we knew now what we didn’t know then. It’d be a better world for everyone, Amen?

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity and design I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is filing a patent for a variant right now. Lol. 
Simply genius my friend.

Dude... UTTERLY BRILLIANT! I'd think a perpetual-motion machine would be an afternoon project for someone of your obvious skills and ingenuity.

In the 1980s I owned and was smitten with a Saxby & Palmer Ensign air-cartridge rifle that used larger, undependable air cartridges that required regular resealing to achieve any level of dependability (at best). Sold that outfit to Steven Fjestad, the founder/publisher of the Blue Book Of Firearms when he was putting together his first Blue Book Of Airguns. 

Steve being now deceased, apparently the Blue Book Of Airguns has not been updated for 3-4 years. However I was recently contacted to provide information for an updated Blue Book Of Airguns.

AWESOME WORK, Autoair! 

Thank you all for the great comments. To JamesD to the best of my knowledge the patents for the Brocock air cartridge have now lapsed, as to my design, the important part is hidden behind the cross hatched area on the second picture, it would take a lot of effort to re-invent it and if somebody wants to manufacture it they can just licence it from me! To Enkey I had not seen the Inovairtech system so can’t really comment but they do not seem to be around anymore. AirNgasman praise indeed! I came to the airgun scene after the demise of Saxby and Palmer but the later design of tandem air cartridge by Mike Saxby while he was employed by Brocock was a huge improvement. I have over 150 of these which I charge up for a shooting session and rarely have to do more than change 1 or 2 of the most stressed ‘O’ rings which are at the discharge end. For people who are not aware of what I talking about below is a figure from Mike Saxby’s patent.

1592582128_18422652795eecdff06fb7e4.66215785.jpg

The operating principle is that there is a slightly greater area on the left filling end of the spool than on the right discharge end (the spring is not actually needed and was not used on the majority of cartridge variants) so the air pressure acts to the left keeping the filling seal (16) closed, when the firing pin hits the left end of the spool it overcomes this force the spool moves to the right and the air is discharged into the end cap (dotted line 9) which contains the pellet.
My greatest regret is that I did not have time to finish the 1911 Colt semi-automatic pistol design. The theoretical work was complete and proved the flexibility of the system whereby just altering the accumulator and actuator size and porting the same basic mechanism would function either as a rifle or a pistol with equal efficiency.