• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homemade bigbore 50.

A couple more along the way

20230305_183900.jpg

20230305_183856.jpg

20230217_115453.jpg

20221231_172203.jpg

Reactions: Pale_Rider
With that recoil, I'd probably weld the picatinny rail down on the final product before finish is put on. Just weld inside the existing screw holes. If you have the provisions to weld aluminum that is. I suck at welding aluminum, it's way less forgiving than mild or even stainless steel.
Welding aint really a proper method to attach rail for multiple reasons.

Reactions: jmohme
Well done prototype sir! As with all designs that aren't done in a CAD system I've always gone for the proof of concept first and then worked on the
finish. I'm terrible with CAD and programming but can do some passable machine work. Can't wait to see the finished prototype!
Thank you. I dont know that I'd even be able to figure out how to turn on a cnc machine lol. My old man was a tool and die maker and I had the privilege to learn manual machining from him.

Lots of opinions on air strippers effectiveness. A well cut crown may not need one.

Thanks for sharing your build. I too build from scratch so I know the time it takes. I also only use manual machines. Valves are really fun to design. The build in my avatar uses a pilot valve that can fire at 4500 psi and only takes a pinky finger to cock it.

Keep up the excellent work and be safe!

Dave

mmm, hard to say, but with relatively slower speeds in an airgun even with a nice crown, a large charge of air is gonna chase it down range .. at least i do believe thats the going wisdom, its not like a firearm the builds pressure fast and then its diminishing near the muzzle with a proper charge and burn rate, its just a giant blast of air chasing that big potato 20 yds out of the barrel lol. im speculating of course ..

Reactions: TheBeardedGunsmith
Yeah the airgun game is definitely much different than conventional firearms. Everything so far has been a new experience with building this thing. I guess I'll find out along the way if it holds groups or not. And if it doesn't, I'll try my damndest to find a workaround for it. As for now it's doing more than I can ask. I'm not a hunter but I really wouldn't mind taking a deer or coyote with it just to say that I did.

Reactions: UCChris
Your 11 degree target crown looks.great.... Alot of airguns don't really get crowns, they kinda skip that step... Your crown is far above average .. A muzzle break or moderator are nice to cut recoil...but I'm sure you are used to recoil with powder burners. Your barrel looks heavy enough to be stiff...much better than most factory airguns

Reactions: TheBeardedGunsmith