• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homemade bigbore 50.

Hi all, new guy here. I'm a licensed gunsmith that got hooked on the world of PCP rifles a few months ago. I purchased an Air Venturi Avenger and Umarex Hammer. I quickly became addicted to the big bores. I wanted to try something new and thought I'd have my hand at building my own big bore 50 cal. I wanted to achieve 1150fps with 250 hard casts that a friend made. I started out with raw material, a 500/510 green mountain barrel blank, tank and reg. There's a bit too much to go into but I can fill it to 4500 psi and fire it unregulated which will dump the total air volume or pump it to 4500 with the reg and fire shots at 3000psi. I designed all the parts in my head and just made corrections as I went but putting it on the chronograph surprised the hell out of me the first time I shot it! This was unregulated at 2500psi. I'm trying to decide on whether or not I want to get into maybe producing these at a later date, obviously something better looking than this iteration. It weighs 8lbs without the scope but I plan to put a carbon fiber bottle on it. I currently have it regulated at 3000 with a 4500 max fill and get almost 5 full power shots at just shy of 1200fps with the current plenum volume.

20230217_171239.jpg

20230306_205600.jpg

That's alot of power! It looks like it may explode at some point but all in the name of science!

A refined model may be a hot seller though.
I hope not. I used the appropriate materials and oversized the wall thickness of everything pressure bearing. I was sure to research everything that I could.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I hope not. I used the appropriate materials and oversized the wall thickness of everything pressure bearing. I was sure to research everything that I could.
Well like they say, looks can be deceiving. I'm sure you're okay, it just looks sketchy in its current setup. I do like that you used a crosman 2240 as a starting point for your hammer tube and trigger frame.

Wow you are quite the machinest!!!! Looks great!!! Did you get the 34 inch cut rifles blank from green Mountain? That's the fastest fps I ever saw a big bore go. I have lots of molds in .510... With that kind of power I'd be using the 650 grain spire point boat tail I have from accurate molds. It will stabilize in your barrel. The B.C is . 5. My 50 Texan shoots them at 750 fps. Also at those speeds you really want powder coated slugs. They really reduce leading and work at faster fps. At a 1000 fps with the 650 spire PT boat tails you have 1000 foot pounds at 300 yards. Not too shabby for a air gun. Don't let anyone discourage you...I also used to be a hobby gunsmith have a jet 13x40 lathe and used to work at ER Shaw barrel factory in bridgeville. Hand lapping really helps with big bores. I know green Mountain barrels are decent but not lapped. If you want any slugs PM me. Wow you made my day😁 You the man!!!!!!

Reactions: TheBeardedGunsmith
Most guys “build” custom guns based on the 2240. It’s more like they’re putting Lego’s together. You ACTUALLY built a custom gun from a 2240, very cool regardless of the lacking refinement. What kind of valve did you make for it?
It's a balance valve that I designed to not be able to suffer from valve lock. It will push open easily with finger pressure regardless of air pressure. I ended up using teflon orings in it which weren't cheap or easy to install. I machined everything from scratch, minus the grip assembly. It's actually from a Crosman 1322.

Can't wait to see how many of the 'Big Guys' start knocking on your door!
Keep your secrets to yourself untill you get a gob of cash!
Admittedly I've been spamming facebook groups with this but mostly because I'm proud of it for a first time build. I designed it in my head, often staring at the ceiling at night due to insomnia. If I design something on paper it never works so I just have to build it in my head and then do it.

It's a balance valve that I designed to not be able to suffer from valve lock. It will push open easily with finger pressure regardless of air pressure. I ended up using teflon orings in it which weren't cheap or easy to install. I machined everything from scratch, minus the grip assembly. It's actually from a Crosman 1322.
Good move going with the balanced valve for a big bore to avoid needing a heavy hammer spring. Did you get inspired by the Umarex Hammer’s valve design?

Good move going with the balanced valve for a big bore to avoid needing a heavy hammer spring. Did you get inspired by the Umarex Hammer’s valve design?
I couldn't find any info on the valve design of my hammer and didn't have the nerve to open up my brand new gun. I just did as much research as I could online of air valves that can dump large volumes of air quickly. The first valve that I designed wasn't a balance valve. It worked well but required way too much force to open it, and that's when I learned about the balance valves. It was the most difficult part to machine of everything.