Homemade Ballastic Putty?

I'm looking for a recipe for making ballastic putty. I'd like to line a pellet trap for use in my basement over the cold Wisconsin Winter. I have a bucket full of clay that was excavated from my backyard last summer. I thought to mix the powdered clay with some oil, maybe linseed or motor oil to make the putty. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks, 

Howard 

1544295995_15413956815c0c163beec8e4.04722465_DD0246F9-43ED-4C49-86D1-5EEBC02CC0B1.jpeg

For a pellet trap, I've been using Gardner Bender DS-110N 1-Pound Duct Seal Compound.

About twelve pounds in a cookie tin (8x10in) makes an awesome pellet trap.

Pellets penetrate about 1/2 inch but 5 shot groups pellet on pellet will make a bulge in the back of the tin.

I'm shooting .22 cal 18gr diabolos at 890 fps at 27 yards for reference.

When I'm not shooting into it, I lay the cookie tin flat and put the lid on.

I would if left upright it would eventually sag as it warms up. Plus it's a pretty thick load.

As to group build up, I never let it accumulate... I pluck out my lead at the end of the day so I can recast them whenever I get around to that part of the hobbie.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers to make extraction easy. Then I just press the putty back together and use my fist and palms to sort of level her off.

If you use the square kitty litter boxes, they don't roll away on you. Stuffed it with Home Depot mulch and all I have to replace is a few cent's worth of duct tape on the face every once in a while. It has a handle too, so when done, just pick it up and walk away with it. The rubber mulch really stops the pellets. My 25 Cricket is shooting 25 gainers around 950-960 and they only seem to go in a few inches.

%5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D