Homebrew FX Chrony display

The board is selected and connected (Got the board today, and I was able to install the IDE and the Heltec USB driver for ESP32). I managed to upload the example sketches, the FXChrony.ino doesn't compile though.

1672173930493.png

Ah, you need to select the Heltec WiFi Kit 32 board

The board is selected and connected (Got the board today, and I was able to install the IDE and the Heltec USB driver for ESP32). I managed to upload the example sketches, the FXChrony.ino doesn't compile though.

It still looks like there's something wrong with the board selection - this is what my IDE shows.

That needs to exactly match because in the code I check

#if defined(ARDUINO_heltec_wifi_kit_32)
U8G2_SSD1306_128X64_NONAME_F_SW_I2C u8g2(U8G2_R0, /* clock=*/ 15, /* data=*/ 4, /* reset=*/ 16);
static esp_adc_cal_characteristics_t adc_chars;
#endif

ARDUINO_heltec_wifi_kit_32 and ARDUINO_wifi_kit_32 aren't the same and I think that's why you get the u8g2 error

1672177457818.png

Last edited:
New release for Heltec & TT-Go T-Display (Still waiting for my M5Stick - ETA is Thursday)

- Added a "Gun" object to the code & a gun select menu.
- Removed "Profile" from the menu. Profile is now part of the gun definition

The Caliber of the selected gun is matched to the caliber of the available pellets. Only matching pellets show up in the pellets menu.

Works the same way as the pellets.
1672177804046.png
1672177773448.png

Last edited:

Also, make sure you have the esp32 board definitions installed: Tools | Board | Boards Manager then search for esp32, you want version 2.0.5 or later
1672179496147.png

It still looks like there's something wrong with the board selection - this is what my IDE shows.

That needs to exactly match because in the code I check

#if defined(ARDUINO_heltec_wifi_kit_32)
U8G2_SSD1306_128X64_NONAME_F_SW_I2C u8g2(U8G2_R0, /* clock=*/ 15, /* data=*/ 4, /* reset=*/ 16);
static esp_adc_cal_characteristics_t adc_chars;
#endif

ARDUINO_heltec_wifi_kit_32 and ARDUINO_wifi_kit_32 aren't the same and I think that's why you get the u8g2 error

View attachment 317464
Thanks for the help @DaystateRebel - it helped that you pointed me in the right direction.
I replaced the heltec throughout the code to read ARDUINO_wifi_kit_32 and I was able to successfully compile and upload.

1672185979800.png

Reactions: M0ist0ne
Thanks for the help @DaystateRebel - it helped that you pointed me in the right direction.
I replaced the heltec throughout the code to read ARDUINO_wifi_kit_32 and I was able to successfully compile and upload.
Weird, but OK, glad it worked. Now let's see a pic of it working - think of it as Rebel Tax:)

Reactions: 3DAirgunWorks
Then I guess I'll have to just muck along. ;)
I'm not a total Newbe at programming so this is a pretty new toy to play with.
It is open source so I guess I'll start down this trail and see where it leads.

You'd be amazed at some of the stuff I've programmed for.
@Privateer (@bigHUN) As far as the M5Stack Core2, it's a very full featured board. This firmware should get you more than 90% there. Ported it for an older M5Stack "Gray" with 3 buttons vs the touch screen that the M5Stack Core2 has. I recommend to mess last with the fonts (best to use anti-alias like this: https://github.com/takkaO/OpenFontRender Use the default font first, because changing fonts was time intensive (for me). The current font is NOT anti-alias, it just provides the giant (but jagged) numbers that take advantage of the larger screen.

Maybe you can work together with BigHun. Here is more info, but use rev3 (below) instead of rev5. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/homebrew-fx-chrony-display.1278760/post-1390508

This here is an earlier version (rev3) I worked on, and it does compile on the M5Stack Core2, but I do not have the actual module to test. Only tested it on the M5Stack Gray one. Place all the files in the same sketch folder. The code needs a lot of improvement in redundancy.

View attachment chrony_menu_M5Stack_Rev3.zip

@Privateer (@bigHUN)...

Maybe you can work together with BigHun. ...
Thanks. My ultimate goal is to make it work with UIFlow, but that is again a different learning curve. I asked the question in several places so far no answer - how can I "listen" the external BT. There are YT videos with existing M5 addon accessories which are cable connected but no one is showing how to use the built in BT antenna.

Thanks. My ultimate goal is to make it work with UIFlow, but that is again a different learning curve. I asked the question in several places so far no answer - how can I "listen" the external BT. There are YT videos with existing M5 addon accessories which are cable connected but no one is showing how to use the built in BT antenna.
The Bluetooth code is written in the firmware that we are posting here. You can follow it in there. There are also simple examples in Arduino IDE and probably in UIFlow as well. You gotta dig in on your own and then ask specific questions once you get stuck. Unless you find a full blown class somewhere that teaches it from A to Z.

Recommend to get down the basic BLE concepts first. A good place to start would be Adafruit's BLE learning pages. https://learn.adafruit.com/introduction-to-bluetooth-low-energy

Last edited:
Issue comes from using Heltec board definitions not the expressif definitions, heltec just call board wifi kit 32, need to use espresiff systems definitions or change all references in code.
Thanks for the tip, ithink I'm going to kill off the LOLIN32 variant, only one guy has one and I don't think he's using it

Q?
2. What is a format that the FX radar broadcasts? JSON or XML ?
Neither, it's a 16 bit number representing frequency and 8 bits representing return signal strength.

This will explain a little bit about how Doppler radars measure speed

Reactions: 177er
Issue comes from using Heltec board definitions not the expressif definitions, heltec just call board wifi kit 32, need to use espresiff systems definitions or change all references in code.

Weird, but OK, glad it worked. Now let's see a pic of it working - think of it as Rebel Tax:)
Managed to fix the issue - apparently there are TWO Esp 32s, one is the Heltec definition which just says Wifi Kit 32 and the other is the Expressif definition, which says Heltec WiFi kit.
I was unable to install Expressif yesterday and today, and went on another trouble shooting spree. I managed to identify the issue, which is, use the dev link here for EXpressif and the other link for Heltec.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_dev_index.json

https://github.com/Heltec-Aaron-Lee...ownload/0.0.7/package_heltec_esp32_index.json

Will need to wait on the Rebel Tax @DaystateRebel :) . My 500 mah LiPo battery arrived today, but it doesn't have a JST mini connector, so trying to find one.

Following the post with interest, and thankful to everyone who contributes!

Q?
1. What is that Stick you guys working on right now? I would like to get one of those to speed up my progress.
3. The M5Stack Core is still in the mail hoping to get it this year. The Core2 is on backorder ETA mid January, so I got some time to play with the Stick.
2. What is a format that the FX radar broadcasts? JSON or XML ?
It's the M5StickC Plus I believe