• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homebrew FX Chrony display

I'm trying to rewrite the interface and also add the Joules to the screen.
I'm NOT a programmer, so far the pellet weight is hard coded in the program, it should be coded for every profile.
I think that having maybe 4 profiles for different settings (pellet and velocity) would be enough.
es.
- low velocity 200 m/s - JSB 1.030 grams
- middle velocity 300 m/s - JSB 1.175 grams
- max velocity 300 m/s - FX 22 grains slugs
etc. etc.

If there is someone skilled I will gladly help sending what I come up doing 'till now.

IMG_8020.jpg

I'm trying to rewrite the interface and also add the Joules to the screen.
I'm NOT a programmer, so far the pellet weight is hard coded in the program, it should be coded for every profile.
I think that having maybe 4 profiles for different settings (pellet and velocity) would be enough.
es.
- low velocity 200 m/s - JSB 1.030 grams
- middle velocity 300 m/s - JSB 1.175 grams
- max velocity 300 m/s - FX 22 grains slugs
etc. etc.

If there is someone skilled I will gladly help sending what I come up doing 'till now.

View attachment 316650
I like how you arranged the display! Small real estate, but it’s still clearly readable and not crowded.

I think that folding display can be done entirely with magnets. There is concern that it may not hold up to heavy recoil, but if you use neodymium (silver color) magnets on both sides, it is very strong. Here is my chicken scribble suggestion. The picatinny-mount or scope-ring design part should be as short as possible and flush with the side of the rail or the scope. Inside the tubular top part there is a magnet about 10mm inside. The arm of the display mount has a magnet on the end flush with the surface. That arm slides 10mm into the first part mounted on the airgun.. This way nothing sticks out when you remove the display. And you can rotate the display up and down to meet the shooter's eye level.

Also, I would like to see how the display holds up in full sun. Maybe a small shade all around the screen that still allows access to the button. It can snap into the existing mount slots in the rear.

1671932099450.jpeg

1671932112593.jpeg

1671932455810.png

Last edited:
Done porting BigHun's M5Stack module ("gray version", but should work on others). There are some minor differences in the code compared to the M5StickC Plus, mostly related to the M5Stack having an older PMU (power control) chip. Mine is about 2 years old so do not know what the newer M5Stacks ship with, so the code may need some revisions.

As always, there are tons of improvements that the code needs and many other features could be added. The main issue was the large font(s) that were needed to accommodate BigHun's; aling eyesight. That bogged me down for a long time as I am also still learning most of the coding. Added 2 (actually 3) custom header files for the larger fonts. The third one is regular size and you may already have that in your Arduino IDE setup. If that's the case and the Arduino IDE compiler complains, then uncomment that header file from the code (top lines). Add all the zipped files in the same sketch folder.

One limitation of the PMU chip's library (hardware cause?) is that it only reads battery level in 25/50/75/100 % increments. Display rotation is not fixed, I hope DaystateRebel or someone else can help out with that. " Anti-cant" menu item added, but nothing is behind it yet.

Buttons: There was no way to shut down the unit with the existing red Power button on the side WHILE plugged in. Added a power off function to the button on the right (Button C). Press for 6 seconds or more to shut down. The middle button (Button B) is for the menu. The left button (Button A) is for soft-reboot. Press it for 2 sec or more and the module will reboot itself. Helps in case you cannot connect.

1671938344506.png
1671938357826.png

View attachment chrony_menu_M5Stack_Rev4.zip

Thanks, Speculating only I don't have the cube yet how big is a display, 5cm? Perhaps a half size font shall be big enough. the number is really huge, I will play with it maybe a half size? to fit a forth digit.
There is a 4th digit. It only shows up when the reading goes over 1000 fps. There was no need for that on the m/s side.

The display is 2" vs the M5SrickC Plus 1.14"...but same battery size strangely.

Reactions: Leon83
Isn't this nice of you! Glad to see other engineers in the forum!

Now, let me give you the bad news. You just threw away $50K because of your generosity.

A few decades ago, I made a simple kit that would control a DSLR camera focus and shutter wirelessly, with just a one button remote. I did this as an educational project kit because I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for FCC Part 15 certification. I designed the PCB boards, assembled the PCB boards minus a battery holder so it would be some assembly required. I sold the kits with my schematic for $5 over cost fur my troubles.

After two months of selling the product, some company put my design in a case, and just sold/stole it outright. No FCC certification or anything!

After years of designing and coding for my day job and as a hobby, did I realize the importance of protecting IP, because even little things for fun have potential to generate income, and who better to enjoy those funds than yourself. A 3D printed case would easily have these sell for $100. Where else in this economy can you triple your money! 💵

I only code for Dead Presidents, and the deader, the better! I spend too much on Cadence OrCAD licenses to donate PCB design work.

But, if someone sends me some sketches of a desired housing, I'll design something, 3D print it, and donate it to the community, along with the IGES/STL files.

EDIT: I see there are already mechanical designs floating around, so no need for my services. Great job guys!

Isn't this nice of you! Glad to see other engineers in the forum!

Now, let me give you the bad news. You just threw away $50K because of your generosity.

A few decades ago, I made a simple kit that would control a DSLR camera focus and shutter wirelessly, with just a one button remote. I did this as an educational project kit because I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for FCC Part 15 certification. I designed the PCB boards, assembled the PCB boards minus a battery holder so it would be some assembly required. I sold the kits with my schematic for $5 over cost fur my troubles.

After two months of selling the product, some company put my design in a case, and just sold/stole it outright. No FCC certification or anything!

After years of designing and coding for my day job and as a hobby, did I realize the importance of protecting IP, because even little things for fun have potential to generate income, and who better to enjoy those funds than yourself. A 3D printed case would easily have these sell for $100. Where else in this economy can you triple your money! 💵

I only code for Dead Presidents, and the deader, the better! I spend too much on Cadence OrCAD licenses to donate PCB design work.

But, if someone sends me some sketches of a desired housing, I'll design something, 3D print it, and donate it to the community, along with the IGES/STL files.

EDIT: I see there are already mechanical designs floating around, so no need for my services. Great job guys!
I cannot speak for DaystateRebel, but I know that he is (and was before) well aware of the huge potential for bringing this to the market. He is the type of guy who enjoys sharing and helping others, and tackling techie challenges. I am much less likely to be like that, but that's why we are all different. I support him in his decision. This is his baby...so he does whatever he wants to do with it. Anyone may choose to market or not market their own ideas.

It's likely that someone(s) will copy it (if not already working on it) to put it on the market for about the price you mentioned. Especially in thjose places where people may not be aware of this AGN forum and this Open Source project. Life goes on...

Reactions: 3DAirgunWorks
Done porting BigHun's M5Stack module ("gray version", but should work on others). There are some minor differences in the code compared to the M5StickC Plus, mostly related to the M5Stack having an older PMU (power control) chip. Mine is about 2 years old so do not know what the newer M5Stacks ship with, so the code may need some revisions.

Great work!
Is it possible to use anti aliased fonts?
Like I saw in this example?

I cannot speak for DaystateRebel, but I know that he is (and was before) well aware of the huge potential for bringing this to the market. He is the type of guy who enjoys sharing and helping others, and tackling techie challenges. I am much less likely to be like that, but that's why we are all different. I support him in his decision. This is his baby...so he does whatever he wants to do with it. Anyone may choose to market or not market their own ideas.

It's likely that someone(s) will copy it (if not already working on it) to put it on the market for about the price you mentioned. Especially in thjose places where people may not be aware of this AGN forum and this Open Source project. Life goes on...
If someone tries to sell for $100, I will leverage the power of my 3d print FB group to flood the market with them at cost. We have almost 5k members in the group. Let’s see if anyone wants the challenge.