• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homebrew FX Chrony display

I can get quickly the "M5Stack ESP32 V2.6 Basic Core IoT Development Kit" but the extra external battery ETA is in early January. Well, acceptable, the postman is busy next couple weeks.
Then I looked further and I saw the "M5Stack Core2 ESP32 IoT Development Kit" with some added features, same ETA, looks like a same backorder list.
I think I would drop an extra $15 CAD to get a convenience of a touch screen.
Would that change anything in your coding?
Touch screen would change coding (I let DaystateRebel chime in on this, he knows more on this), and I would need to learn it. It may be as simple as a few lines of codes or a PITA. Will see...but certainly is something we should do if the module has the capability. Also, others who know coding can take a crack at it, its an open source project.

Although, it seems someone bought near 100 pieces of M5StickC Plus modules on Digi-Key just on Monday. That's after about 30 sold all last week after posting about the M5StickC plus...and the inventory was sitting steady before that at least for a couple of weeks.

Touch screen would change coding...

Speculating only without seeing any of these modules first hand, I can see a possible gain not having a button cap - be that a plastic or rubber cap. Same as the TV remote buttons, after some-longer-heavier usage the rubber caps "getting soft", plus to add the outdoor use and the effects of elements...
Edit: just ordered the Basic model, and we go from here. Watching the UIFlow videos :) this will be fun.

Q: How that would be possible to open your code in UIFlow?

Last edited:
With a little help from @fe7565 I managed to load my M5StickC Plus with v4 firmware. works fine. Now it needs some 3D print for picatinny/weaver rail. In my opinion M5StickC Plus is a great combination of price, form, display size for this task. It just needs a clever print to attach it to the rifle. Great job mates.
51FF553B-690D-4177-8F40-30387CE7FC80.jpeg

AFFA8AE2-584C-495B-93F5-750DC8F03178.jpeg

AE38C72C-F4B3-468C-9006-3C845CCBBAA6.jpeg

0C5FB48D-B151-4A5A-B2D9-3B4EC921BA3C.jpeg

Speculating only without seeing any of these modules first hand, I can see a possible gain not having a button cap - be that a plastic or rubber cap. Same as the TV remote buttons, after some-longer-heavier usage the rubber caps "getting soft", plus to add the outdoor use and the effects of elements...
Edit: just ordered the Basic model, and we go from here. Watching the UIFlow videos :) this will be fun.

Q: How that would be possible to open your code in UIFlow?
As long as pressing buttons that will only change the code from one button use to three. Touch screen display could be completely different. The M5Stack I posted does not have it.

These seem well built but are not weather proof. They have many openings for ports and connections. You would need to make your own enclosure or find a way to waterproof it. Shrink wrap?

I know of UIFlow but not familiar with it and do not know if you can import the Arduino code. Did not see it when I searched just now. But you can certainly try to build with it and should be much easier than Arduino.

With a little help from @fe7565 I managed to load my M5StickC Plus with v4 firmware. works fine. Now it needs some 3D print for picatinny/weaver rail. In my opinion M5StickC Plus is a great combination of price, form, display size for this task. It just needs a clever print to attach it to the rifle. Great job mates.
View attachment 315663
View attachment 315664
View attachment 315665
View attachment 315666
Great job! Let me know if you run into any auto-shutdown issues. No way I could test all scenarios.

Curious how long the battery lasts with continuous use. We estimated about 1-1.5hrs only.

Reactions: Leon83
Some minor updates:

- FX Chrono battery level displayed below module's battery
- Extended auto-shutdown to 5 mins if no user input via buttons or no shots received. On USB power it will not shut down anymore.
- Added disclaimer for liability and a warning that the software is not to be used for commercial purposes or resale.

The Power button use:

- from factory it's 2 sec to turn on module and 6 sec to shut down
- added a 2 sec long press (more than 2 sec but less than 6 sec) to this Power button to soft-reboot the module if not connecting. Although, for me it fully connects and ready to receive shots within 2 secs every time.

View attachment chrony_menu_M5Stick_Plus_Rev6.zip

View attachment 315663
View attachment 315664
View attachment 315665
View attachment 315666
draw a sketch with the dimensions and I will post a design you can have printed.

Reactions: Leon83
Some minor updates:
... Added disclaimer for liability and a warning...
Hahaha, EULA and patents lawsuits not working like that. I learned that in GM 2010 when they were taking apart a BMW M-class SUV (in Detroit headquarters lab - and it is a huge big building with at least ten bays) "just to check if the Germans anything copy from them" :)

• Haha
Reactions: fe7565
Hahaha, EULA and patents lawsuits not working like that. I learned that in GM 2010 when they were taking apart a BMW M-class SUV (in Detroit headquarters lab - and it is a huge big building with at least ten bays) "just to check if the Germans anything copy from them" :)
The Germans (BMW) copy from GM? Hilarious! Good one!

Reactions: bigHUN
Hi!
I was carrying out your project, to monitor my chrono Fx, after having bought all the material, programmed the display, everything seems to be ok, but unfortunately after starting, I don't pass the searching phase. Where or what did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help....
Bro-net
First, need to be more specific. What board/module are you talking about? What version of the firmware? DId you have your FX Chrono turned on and made sure it was NOT connected to anything else? The FX Chrono is not enabled to connect to multiple devices at the same time, at least not with its current firmware.

Last edited: