• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homebrew FX Chrony display

I am too old and too dumb for learning again the arduino. I can design and print the enclosure, but for electronics I would just buy when its ready ;)
Why pay someone else to load software for you? It's not that difficult and you've learned a new skill. Who knows, maybe there will other Arduino projects in the future that you'll want to play with

Because I am powering the radar from external power bank, it would make sense to me incorporating the screen into the FX radar. I will open it (tomorrow) to check how much room inside.
Edit:
I need to explain. I am not wearing my reading glasses when shooting, and in order to read that small screen I would have to move it out to an arms distance, and that is about the bell of a scope. So pretty much about there where is the FX radar mounted. To pack it inside the existing radar or to attach them together.

Last edited:
Poiché sto alimentando il radar da un power bank esterno, per me avrebbe senso incorporare lo schermo nel radar FX. Lo aprirò (domani) per controllare quanto spazio c'è dentro.
Modificare:
Ho bisogno di spiegare. Non indosso i miei occhiali da lettura durante le riprese, e per leggere quel piccolo schermo dovrei spostarlo a una distanza di un braccio, e questo è circa la campana di un mirino. Quindi praticamente lì dove è montato il radar FX. Per imballarlo all'interno del radar esistente o per attaccarli insieme.
I was also thinking about something like this but you need a bigger screen I would say at least 2 inches so as to have everything together

Updated version 4. Thanks to DaystateRebel for all the help!

I got to like this little module as it boots up and connects to the FX Chrono in less than 2 seconds. It's a battery hog, as all ESP32s are, so DaysatteRebel is working on a low cost ($25-30) smart watch version hack with a different chip that uses 10x less power, so lasts about 20-30hrs minimum. This ESP32 module with the internal battery only lasts in continuous use about 1-1.5 hrs (may be 2, but not tested). Encouraging anyone to improve on it!

Change log:
No basic changes to measurements/operation. Still under work, maybe some bugs.
Nicer display, better layout. Note: if you go into the menu after taking some shots, you will lose the displayed data when you return. Will work on this later.
Added sub-menu for battery volts, amps, and temp for all 3 ports. Removed "zzz" sub-menu for now for auto-shutdown.
Added internal Battery voltage to front screen
Will add client (chrono) battery voltage as well, but no values yet
Auto-shutdown goes into effect if no buttons pressed or not shots after 3.5 mins of idle (the FX Chrono auto-shuts down after 3 mins) The feature is not fully tested, but works and should not impact your use otherwise. FYI: The module has a dedicated Power OFF button that you press for 6 seconds to turn off and 2 secs to Power ON. You can also press this button for 2 sec but less than 6 seconds and can soft restart (reboot) it.

The 3 buttons: there is Button B on the side, Button A is the large on front and Power Button is next to it on the other side. The LED blinks very slowly at 5 sec on/off while waiting to connect. The BLE is preventing it to flash faster. It is to shut off when connected to the chrono, as to save power and also to not keep flashing on your eyes.
It has a gyro/accelerometer, so adding a cant indicator is possible. As you know, even 1-2 degree cant to either side can result in a half to one inch deviation. Has a microphone, IR LED, RTC, EEPROM, so can add more features.

1671427921827.png
1671427937704.png

1671427955706.png
1671427977431.png

View attachment M5Stick_Plus_Rev4.zip

The chip driving everything is the same (ESP32)

Currently supported hardware
The Heltec has a 0.96" 128*64 monochrome display
The M5Stick Plus has a 1.14" 135*240 color display

Other options
LILY GO has 1.9" display (bare PCB)
M5Stack have IOT dev kit with a 2.0" display

The Heltec and M5StickPlus seem to be widely available

Reactions: M0ist0ne
Quick question:
- are these mini boards all the same?
- any larger screen available? For older eyes or wearing-not wearing glasses?
- when all done, it would be nice to collect all the parts for sourcing, geographically some places may not have local sources but order across the border?
There is a possibly of adding a speaker to the M5StickC Plus so it can announce the readings. It just plugs in. Don't know how loud it is tough....?
1671471484606.png
1671471636951.png

Like DaystateRebel said, there is a larger 2 inch, but it's more pricey at over $47. But it does have an SD-card to save shot strings and three buttons on front.

1671472239320.png
1671472623171.png

Last edited: