Homebrew FX Chrony display

That refreshes perfectly fast! It looks like it came from FX like that.
I do not use a battery for the board, I connected it to the battery pins of the chrony, it draws very, very low power.
I think it's a very good idea to hook up the board and the chrony without using BT, maybe some of you skilled can think about it.
(for me is out of range... :) )

Reactions: fe7565
I do not use a battery for the board, I connected it to the battery pins of the chrony, it draws very, very low power.
I think it's a very good idea to hook up the board and the chrony without using BT, maybe some of you skilled can think about it.
(for me is out of range... :) )
I think your display (as it is added to the the FX) looks like how FX should have shipped this product in the first place. Excellent job!

Reactions: Hallyster61
Now, since you mounted it on the FX Chrono, there is really no need for BLE anymore. The FX Chrono circuit board has a serial port near the positive battery post. It spits out data. Part of that data is the speed value. Could parse the speed data out on to your e-ink with a board that uses much less energy, not the ESP-32.
Maybe, depends if you can select the "profile" via uart. The Chrony filters shots based on the profile (i.e. is detected pellet speed within range specified by the profile) and that profile is set when the app/display initially connects.

Maybe, depends if you can select the "profile" via uart. The Chrony filters shots based on the profile (i.e. is detected pellet speed within range specified by the profile) and that profile is set when the app/display initially connects.
Ah, yes. The profile selection that is hard coded into the FX Chrono firmware.

Regardless, adding a built-in display is something FX should consider then for an updated version of their chrono.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but really don't see a reason selecting or creating a profile. Yes, looks cool, and somewhat usefull if you want to save it to analyze later, but ... I have saved probably 20-30 profiles in the past 3 or so years but never actually went back to see what was that again.
Only need a toggle switch below or above for example 500 fps, and from my perspective still don't understand why actually.
The radar is measuring the projectile speed regardless of any further input data.

Reactions: Hallyster61
I may be wrong, but really don't see a reason selecting or creating a profile. Yes, looks cool, and somewhat usefull if you want to save it to analyze later, but ... I have saved probably 20-30 profiles in the past 3 or so years but never actually went back to see what was that again.
Only need a toggle switch below or above for example 500 fps, and from my perspective still don't understand why actually.
The radar is measuring the projectile speed regardless of any further input data.
FX coded in the profiles probably to help the radar discriminate from other noises (frequencies). To reduce potential errors. I believe that the radar will not send any readings if the detected speed is not within those user-selected ranges. No way to take that off, only FX can do it. So everything that interfaces with the FX Chrono has to have a way to tell it to select speed ranges. That selection does not have to be shown while shooting though.

You mentioned the serial port on the chrony. Do you know the pin outs?
Forgot which one is TX and RX but try both of these. Make sure your UART board that you use has the TX connected to the RX of the FX Chrono and the RX connected to the FX Chrono's TX. I think baud was 115200 (if not, try 9600 as the default)

VDD
GND
TX
RX

VDD
GND
RX
TX

I do know that the same type setup for the Pro-Chrono needs a resister soldered in where the Shooting Chrony does not.
If your UART board does not have 3.3V (only 5V) then you can use a voltage divider with two resistors: Z1 = 1K ; Z2 = 2K (or other values but same ratio)

1673375670325.png