• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Homebrew FX Chrony display

FE12B336-36C0-4E59-B682-B270810CD37E.jpeg

I just dropped a new version for the TTGO T-Display that leverages the OpenFontRender library. I decided against Comic Sans ;)

When my M5Stick arrives next week I will build on @fe7565and @Hallyster61 's excellent work: improve the fonts, auto display flip and "rifle cant'

FWIW, this is just a fun hobby/educational project that I hope gets people to try their hands at something new - Arduino programming & 3D design printing. I really like some of the cases people are coming up with !

1671998163877.png

Last edited:
I'm trying to rewrite the interface and also add the Joules to the screen.
Nice upgrades. Some of my ideas/thoughts

The "connected" text is probably unnecessary
If we're not connected we're searching (@fe7565 this was your input, any thoughts?)

Pellet weight
I can see two ways of doing that

(1) just enter the pellet weight using the UI, increase/decrease by 0.1g per click.

(2) allow the user to easily update the sketch with a list of their own pellets and then select the desired pellet from that list in the UI. I'm thinking an additional .h file where you create a table of pellet name, pellet weight, caliber (optional)

I like #2 myself - you update the sketch with just the pellets you use. Preloading the thing with hundreds of pellet definitions would make selecting the one you want painful. This would also disincentivize buying a preprogrammed device, if you want to add your own pellets then you have to modify/build the code yourself so you may as well just buy an M5stick

Reactions: 177er
The "connected" text is probably unnecessary
If we're not connected we're searching (@fe7565 this was your input, any thoughts?)
I agree, is not necessary in my opinion.
Pellet weight
I can see two ways of doing that

(1) just enter the pellet weight using the UI, increase/decrease by 0.1g per click.
Could be... but... what happen when you turn the M5 off?
(2) allow the user to easily update the sketch with a list of their own pellets and then select the desired pellet from that list in the UI. I'm thinking an additional .h file where you create a table of pellet name, pellet weight, caliber (optional)
Mmmmm... seems good, but the choice must be linked to a profile.
I like #2 myself - you update the sketch with just the pellets you use. Preloading the thing with hundreds of pellet definitions would make selecting the one you want painful. This would also disincentivize buying a preprogrammed device, if you want to add your own pellets then you have to modify/build the code yourself so you may as well just buy an M5stick
Just my two cents thoughts...
If you switch from one level of power to another you probably also switch to another type of pellet/slug.
Or if you switch to one type of ammunition to another the easiest way is to change the profile to one already prepared, as in the FX app.
Having the profile you need hard coded in your device would make the M5 not "flexible" but surely very easy to use on the field.
Just my opinion, as @fe7565 said, this is your baby, and you must have the final decision on where it will go.

Thank God and thank you Rebel... :)

Open source, have whatever font you want ;)

I can't wait to see the new implementations on the M5.
It will help if I send you the lines with all the code for the screen alignments of the data on the display?

Sure, I won't get my M5stick for a few days

(Looking at your name, are you a Daystate airguns fan? 'cause I'm too)

For sure

Could be... but... what happen when you turn the M5 off?

It would persist in EEPROM like the rest of the settings so when yourn on again it would still be there

Assigning pellets to profiles, hmm, would that be a speed profile or a gun profile?

Rough draft based on ideas from the group. Once I get my little magnets I will post the file. I will also work on a battery backpack

View attachment 316802
Nice low profile mount. Once you remove the module nothing to stick out or fold. And you can rotate the display at different angles.

Press fit or magnetic?

Done porting BigHun's M5Stack module ("gray version", but should work on others). There are some minor differences in the code compared to the M5StickC Plus, mostly related to the M5Stack having an older PMU (power control) chip. Mine is about 2 years old so do not know what the newer M5Stacks ship with, so the code may need some revisions.

As always, there are tons of improvements that the code needs and many other features could be added. The main issue was the large font(s) that were needed to accommodate BigHun's; aling eyesight. That bogged me down for a long time as I am also still learning most of the coding. Added 2 (actually 3) custom header files for the larger fonts. The third one is regular size and you may already have that in your Arduino IDE setup. If that's the case and the Arduino IDE compiler complains, then uncomment that header file from the code (top lines). Add all the zipped files in the same sketch folder.

One limitation of the PMU chip's library (hardware cause?) is that it only reads battery level in 25/50/75/100 % increments. Display rotation is not fixed, I hope DaystateRebel or someone else can help out with that. " Anti-cant" menu item added, but nothing is behind it yet.

Buttons: There was no way to shut down the unit with the existing red Power button on the side WHILE plugged in. Added a power off function to the button on the right (Button C). Press for 6 seconds or more to shut down. The middle button (Button B) is for the menu. The left button (Button A) is for soft-reboot. Press it for 2 sec or more and the module will reboot itself. Helps in case you cannot connect.

View attachment 316702View attachment 316703

View attachment 316701
This is so awesome!
I found this M5Stack module, which has improved on the earlier devices and also features a touch screen+speaker and MicroSD card.
1672006659714.png

I'm trying to figure out if the Heltec board can export a shot string, or email it to an email address like the FX app does.
@DaystateRebel - is that possible with any of the boards that've been shared here yet?
FWIW, this is just a fun hobby/educational project that I hope gets people to try their hands at something new - Arduino programming & 3D design printing. I really like some of the cases people are coming up with !
Thanks, this is very interesting, and it'll get me back into 3D printing!

This is so awesome!
I found this M5Stack module, which has improved on the earlier devices and also features a touch screen+speaker and MicroSD card.
View attachment 316834

I'm trying to figure out if the Heltec board can export a shot string, or email it to an email address like the FX app does.
@DaystateRebel - is that possible with any of the boards that've been shared here yet?

Thanks, this is very interesting, and it'll get me back into 3D printing!
I was not aware that it has touchscreen, but surely it does. That's great. The speaker is also good so it can announce the readings. Supposed to be a revised sound interface that improved from the previous. I know that the M5StickC Plus has a buzzer, but it's mousefart quiet and can barely hear it at 3-4khz which is the loudest you can get on it. The mic, for those who want to tackle that, can be used to wake up/sleep and for menu settings, etc with voice commands.

The SDcard is an easy way to export your shot strings, although that can be done over BLE or Wifi too. The battery is also 3x larger capacity (390mAh) than the M5StickC Plus or the M5Stack "Gray". Has the same improved PMU as the M5StickC Plus, so coding is easier. And has vibration, which could be handy when using the anti-cant feature.

The two things that are negatives for me, the price and the size. The price is reasonable for the features, but does everyone want those features? May just want a quick ad dirty speed reading which th much smaller M5StickC Plus can provide..

Nice low profile mount. Once you remove the module nothing to stick out or fold. And you can rotate the display at different angles.

Press fit or magnetic?
Press fit hard plastic case going into flex tube that stretches slightly to hold tight. Also no screws needed for the picatinny. It is flex filament and press fits/snaps on.

Reactions: fe7565
I was not aware that it has touchscreen, but surely it does. That's great. The speaker is also good so it can announce the readings. Supposed to be a revised sound interface that improved from the previous. I know that the M5StickC Plus has a buzzer, but it's mousefart quiet and can barely hear it at 3-4khz which is the loudest you can get on it. The mic, for those who want to tackle that, can be used to wake up/sleep and for menu settings, etc with voice commands.

The SDcard is an easy way to export your shot strings, although that can be done over BLE or Wifi too. The battery is also 3x larger capacity (390mAh) than the M5StickC Plus or the M5Stack "Gray". Has the same improved PMU as the M5StickC Plus, so coding is easier. And has vibration, which could be handy when using the anti-cant feature.

The two things that are negatives for me, the price and the size. The price is reasonable for the features, but does everyone want those features? May just want a quick ad dirty speed reading which th much smaller M5StickC Plus can provide..
I agree - I have bought the Heltec board for now.
The M5Stack Core 2 is a very powerful board and can do a lot of things with the additional modules available for it. It's not too expensive, comparatively, and you're right, not everyone will need all the features. Perhaps sometime in the near future!

I would appreciate if someone could point me to how I can email/export shot strings, since that is more important to me than just the readout (for long term tests etc).

FX was first to market. This is based on the same idea as the FX display. I would think of anyone would be upset, it would be FX. Lol.. this project is a community version of what FX already sells for $220.
No, that would just be typical capitalist competition. FX sells a 250 bar 580cc reservoir for $350, while I bought my 300 bar bottle from another company for $150 and a valve from DC for $50.

FX could have easily protected themselves with a rudimentary encryption of the transmitted data. For whatever reason, they chose not to, so that's on them.

I just hate to see hard work get stolen. I've been there, and I don't like the feeling.

...It's likely that someone(s) will copy it (if not already working on it) to put it on the market for about the price you mentioned. Especially in thjose places where people may not be aware of this AGN forum and this Open Source project. Life goes on...
And that is a shame for a number of reasons. I hope he at least creates a modified MIT agreement so he can at least get attribution for those who adopt it for commercialization. But, who am I kidding; they will just steal it with not a care in the world.