• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Home Range Safety At 20FPE

I opted to go buy a a piece of steel plate that's 25"*28" by 3/8 for mine. I then clamped a piece of 3/4" stall pad onto it to cut down on the noise.

It's much better than the 6 layers if plywood backed by hay bales and cinder blocks.

The downside I'd that the steel is heavy, and rather expensive. It cost me $175 and would have been more had I wanted a specific size rather than taking a piece they had left over.

I really wish I had done this years ago, and if i had any skill at all I'd weld some sort of wheels or something to make it easily movable.

I opted to go buy a a piece of steel plate that's 25"*28" by 3/8 for mine. I then clamped a piece of 3/4" stall pad onto it to cut down on the noise.

It's much better than the 6 layers if plywood backed by hay bales and cinder blocks.

The downside I'd that the steel is heavy, and rather expensive. It cost me $175 and would have been more had I wanted a specific size rather than taking a piece they had left over.

I really wish I had done this years ago, and if i had any skill at all I'd weld some sort of wheels or something to make it easily movable.

Sounds like a welding machine is in someone's future! :)

I find concrete block to be quiet and have never had a ricochet when shooting directly at a flat block (not at an angle). Just note though, that even a .177 at 20fpe will eventually eat away the block. Just keep an eye on it if you are going to shoot as your basement wall or a boarder wall etc...

I have blocks at my 75y line that I sit a bullet box on. Used to have 2, now I have one and a half 😂

Get a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tub with lid and fill it with rubber mulch. Wrap some duct tape around it to hold the lid on when it’s stood up. It will stop 9mm handgun bullets easily when shooting from end to end. Stops pellets easily when stood up shooting from cover to bottom.

You will eventually have to replace the lid, but you will get thousands of shots before then.

You can put a piece of 12 gauge sheet steel behind it as added insurance.

Make sure it’s completely full.

It sure beats hearing the noise of the steel all day.

Mike 

I built a wood box that has a 2 cut outs on face with binder clips top & bottom to hold 2 full size 8 1/2 x 11 multi target sheets.

Inside the box is an angled board ( Cutting board plastic ) that sits at @ 45* angle. As shots come in they hit the board and get deflected down towards bottom of box.

This box has no bottom so all the lead lands in the dirt or a tray if one's there.

Low noise and easy to reclaim all the lead .... Works great !!

AKA: BOUNCE BOX

Have a much smaller version sitting behind my chrony in the shop ... Works equally well

Here is an idea haven't tried it but I think I will. I've got a fairly large and busy spray in truck bed liner company here in my town get a tub and ask them if they will poor the left overs from the mix they make into the tub, they use a two part mix so the only choice they have is to dispose of the left overs when they do a job. 

Another route you could go is gather up some saw dust say something along the lines of 4 gallons go to harbor freight and buy a gallon of bed liner with the 20% off you can get it for about 40 bucks mix the sawdust with the one gallon of bed liner not sure of the ratio but you should be able to get at least a two to one if not more, the rubber in the bed liner will bond the saw dust and all it would take to renew the backstop is a quart of mix 

As a matter of fact I think this is the route I will go for my range. It should even stand up to big bore air guns. And if I prop up one side of the tote so the mix cures at an angle on the bottom then lay the tote so that angle deflects to the ground even better

Get a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tub with lid and fill it with rubber mulch. Wrap some duct tape around it to hold the lid on when it’s stood up. It will stop 9mm handgun bullets easily when shooting from end to end. Stops pellets easily when stood up shooting from cover to bottom.

You will eventually have to replace the lid, but you will get thousands of shots before then.

You can put a piece of 12 gauge sheet steel behind it as added insurance.

Make sure it’s completely full.

It sure beats hearing the noise of the steel all day.

Mike

I just built one with this exact configuration recently. If you go this route, you have to be extremely careful - I've already had several of the projectiles shoot out of the side of the 10 gallon container filled with rubber mulch with a straight POA. I put the container in my brick fireplace now when tuning indoors so I won't have to keep patch up walls.

Motorhead, can you give us a couple pictures of your bounce box? Sounds interesting and much lighter than mu box full of robber mulch.

1562521728_16012741425d2230806da9f3.59730794_DSCF0751.JPG
1562521751_18833194985d223097cd59f4.03030300_DSCF0752.JPG
1562521775_2224189355d2230af075c46.40563253_DSCF0753.JPG
1562521795_9089453725d2230c3c58352.01906437_DSCF0754.JPG
1562521823_14010504515d2230df19f4e1.93465478_DSCF0749.JPG

A few random shots of the 10-55 yard FT practice backstop and last pic the box behind crrony

Nation,

I bought a good ol' .22 rimfire bullet trap for $30 a few years back. Had a bit of a ring to it. Couldn't have the noise of the "DING". I got some cheap plumbers putty, and slapped it to the right and left sides of the trap. I than took a $5 round 14" piece of pine for making a barstool seat. I took a whole tube of silicone caulk, and affixed the pine disk to the back of the trap. Totally silent, whatever gun I use makes more noise than the trap. No more "DING", and I can use it on any airgun I have. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech