Home on the range

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Here’s what I started with. A 12 ft. high 80 ft. wide pile of dirt for a shooting range. 
73DE9199-1C21-497D-A275-15CBD2FA2422.1650280791.jpeg
 Ironically this spot is where I dropped dirt of when I dug out for a shooting range behind my shop. I bought a 20 ton excavator and tandem axle dump truck when I retired. Best toys ever. I’ve since sold them because they were just too large to keep and there’s nothing else to do with them. 
Ironically the dirt I dumped is my range 
4FD03B78-2F48-4E88-91F8-A83CB5E3154A.1650281270.jpeg
 and the range I cut I will probably never be used as a range. This one is convenient because I can shoot right off my covered back porch 10 feet from my back door. The yellow disks are 25 yds for zeroing.

I was on a thread and showed a picture of my range and someone remarked of it’s disorder. I had intentions on improving it but not 
F066E8B1-B78E-4E98-B1CB-6C79BE929BF8.1650281486.jpeg
just yet. Drove me crazy. Until three days ago, I spent a couple hours a day for the last three days raking and pulling rocks off, I need the rocks on another job so I’m killing two birds with one stone. I’ve got the sore back and arms to prove it. I don’t remember who it was but I have to thank them, Still a long way to go, as long as I have time on my side I finish it. 
F850BFD2-7BC5-4173-91C6-EAA27D03A80B.1650282619.jpeg
 Long way to go. I be on this one off and on.

I only shoot springers so I this range works for me 35 yds. I have other places longer but not with this convenience.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please suggest. Crow

I have a similar range . MY house is dug out of a hill so the basement back wall is overlooking the cliff and lake . MY range is shooting across the slope , a bit slippery walk to reset targets so i have all spinners from 10 yards to 40 yards , just outside my basement and sit under the screen porch above protected from the weather (rain) 

Your range is much larger and much more appealing , my wife said you can disguise it by making a flower bed .

You're lucky.

I bought a house last year specifically so I could setup a range at home, but about a month after I moved in, the plot of land next to mine was bought up and the new owners started building a house, right behind where I would have put my range. I had to get creative to get mine to work. I'm always jealous of the people who have large piles of dirt to use as a back stop.

Beertheif thanks I don’t like cutting grass, never mind maintaining flower beds. I had a thread not long ago someone wanted me to adopt them. They came with a lawnmower. If he also has a shovel and rake, I’m on. Ironically my first job was cutting grass at a golf course in the 60’s, endless cutting. Hate it now. Crow

😅 I remember that post and I think I recall the respondent. That was hilarious. You have a pretty expansive range. That took a lot of work. Good job. 

DIYEngineer235 thanks. Unfortunate sorry to hear your plans destroyed. At least you got one. Good luck Crow

Ezana4CE that was funny, this is serious. Does he have a good back? I’m nursing my lower lumbar as I pound back my lunch to get back at it.

I kinda have an idea where I’m going with this, I’m nowhere near done. Always open for suggestions. Thanks Crow 

I think i have said it before, but with a pile of dirt like that, you could also have a nice track / off-road adventure park for 1:24 or 1:10 scale RC trucks.
I have messed with 1:10 scale trucks for years, and though they top out at jogging pace it have been loads of off-road fun in various forests here.

In your case you just need to put up a few strategically placed gates to pass though.

MIND YOU ! this too are not a cheap hobby if you get in deep.

I think i have said it before, but with a pile of dirt like that, you could also have a nice track / off-road adventure park for 1:24 or 1:10 scale RC trucks.
I have messed with 1:10 scale trucks for years, and though they top out at jogging pace it have been loads of off-road fun in various forests here.

In your case you just need to put up a few strategically placed gates to pass though.

MIND YOU ! this too are not a cheap hobby if you get in deep.

[/QUOTPeashooter Thought about it. I’m a member of R/C Anonymous. Back in 1990 I got bit. 12 cars, 48 battery packs, 9 chargers. All high end. Had enough new spare parts to start a store. I also build my own private track 45ft.x105ft. behind my store. 6 ft. bank. And lit up at nite with lights. It was absolutely one of favourite toys. I gave it all to my son when I bought this place. I kept 2 cigarette boats and 2 hand controllers. Please don’t anyone mention R/C , way too addictive. Can’t believe I have the same wife from that time. I could do a weekend conference on R/C, sorry we’ll get back to Airguns. Crow