• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HOME DEFENSE: Best Airgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ginuwine1969" No airgun would be acceptable for home defense, unless you are trying to defend it against: sparrow, starling, rabbits, and squirrels.

Then what type of weapon would you consider the best for home defense, against multiple human marauding attackers, excluding what I trust to be the obvious category of firearms, with black powder weapons, for the purpose of this discussion, considered firearms?

I was thinking, by the way, of airguns in the caliber range that might generally be considered excessive for small birds and animals.

1. most Airguns of a large caliber that you would want you would only get a single shot,
2. Most Air Gun Kills are from Headshots or Bleed Outs and do have the hydrostatic shock of a firearm round this means a perp can possibly still move after a fatal shot and hurt you.
If are looking for a None Lethal alternative then there is an Air Gun that shoots pepper balls and other types of rubber non lethal rounds and there is a beanbag Airgun

I, like most people, I trust, would generally prefer not only a non-lethal, but a least-injurious solution. I understand the mere brandishment of a gun has resolved an assault situation 94% of the time, though that statistic applies to powder charged guns.

That being said, my query is for the most effective weapon to best defend against threat of life or limb in the event of a home invasion. Whether or not that involves lethality, or the threat of lethality, I would submit should be left to be primarily the attacker's dilemma. 

Please don't consider airguns for home defense. I'm not saying that an airgun is not lethal. Anything could be lethal but your best bet is a firearm. Brandishing a weapon or trying to intimidate a person doesn't always work. If you plan to bluff, be sure to follow through. You never know if that person is on drugs or alcohol. If you decide on using a firearm for home defense, please get some training and know the laws in your area.

TomBrooklynI, like most people, I trust, would generally prefer not only a non-lethal, but a least-injurious solution. I understand the mere brandishment of a gun has resolved an assault situation 94% of the time, though that statistic applies to powder charged guns.

That being said, my query is for the most effective weapon to best defend against threat of life or limb in the event of a home invasion. Whether or not that involves lethality, or the threat of lethality, I would submit should be left primarily to be the attacker's dilemma.

I hate to say this but THAT mindset will get you killed, you pull a gun you better be ready to kill, otherwise your best home defense is a good alarm system and family training on what to do in the event of a break in. Create a safe room such as bathrooms and closets with hardened doors and frames that family members can go to and lock themselves into. If you feel your property is not worth a perps life then use the safe rooms and set off the alarm do not confront a perp unless you are willing and able to take his or her life
As I said air rifles do not kill in the same manner as a firearm most of the time and could result in the perp taking your life before they would expire. If I was in a no other choice situation maybe but planning ahead get a pistol or shotgun

"broekzwans"Maybe it's better to move to a different neighborhood/city/state/etc. if you think that's going to happen... Almost any firearm will be sufficient I think, airguns can be used but I do not recommend that. The current amount of death by airguns is so low that it's unnoticed. If multiple people start using them as defense weapons it can damage the reputation which can lead to unwanted legislation. So for the sake of the sports, skip the airgun ;)

1. By your suggestion, every person in the world, rather than make themselves capable and prepared to remain safe in body in there own home, virtually a fundamental human right, should move to a safer location. Where in the world would these safe locations be? I know of nowhere where complete home safety is guaranteed. And even in the fantastical event such a place existed, would there be food and gainful employment there where a person could sustain themselves and their family? And even if there were some jobs there, wouldn't they all be taken by the first people in this exodus to move there, leaving everyone else who was willing to uproot themselves and their families with no viable option? I could go on about how absurd, not to mention how cowardly this idea is, but I hope we can agree it is sufficiently discounted so far.

2. I'm confident you can rest assured that few people will chose to use an air gun for home-defense in any jurisdiction where they may legally own a firearm. And the likelihood of ever needing to use an air gun (or a firearm or any other weapon) in a home-defense situation is very low, at least in all the developed countries of the world. However, if an airgun ever proved to be useful to protect some innocent person's life or property in their home, I daresay it would enhance the reputation of said air guns, not detract from them.

3. You suggest firearms. My question excluded firearms. I was hoping I would not have to elaborate on this sidebar, but be advised not all people are allowed under the laws of their land to own firearms, and most of them, despite this injustice by oppressive governments, prefer not to break those laws, if there is even a possibility to do so, and run the risk of lengthy imprisonment and the societal hardships that inevitably and permanently ensue.

4. Lastly, that you are more concerned with the viability of your sport than the safety of your fellow humans, and their desire to live securely, self-sufficiently, and without fear in their homes, especially due to the highly unlikely event that the reputation of air guns might be tarnished by some miniscule amount, is quite self-serving and disrespectful.

"Willie14228"
"TomBrooklyn"I, like most people, I trust, would generally prefer not only a non-lethal, but a least-injurious solution....

I hate to say this but THAT mindset will get you killed, you pull a gun you better be ready to kill... 

...If I was in a no other choice situation maybe but planning ahead get a pistol or shotgun

I didn't say I couldn't kill, I merely said I rather not. It would be a last resort.

If I had a choice, I'd take a shotgun and an pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.