• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Holy Smokes, talk about slug expansion...

Hello everyone. I hope you're all doing well and surviving all the crap going on in the world right now! 

My son shot a digger squirrel this morning with the Impact MkII and a 32.8gr. Varmint Knocker going about 990fps. The squirrel made the mistake of running out right behind our 120yd gong so we knew that the range was about 123yds-125yds. Cooper was already shooting from our bench, pointed down range and was as stable as could be. The scope was already on 50x, he dialed 3 clicks shy of 125yds, aimed at the squirrel's head...Thhhwwacckkk, dead squirrel!

At that range, I thought the slug would lose some velocity/energy but still have enough to kill the squirrel. The slug may have lost some energy but still had plenty to blow a massive hole in that squirrel! The hole it made was almost unbelievable for a mid caliber air gun at 122yds. The Varmint Knocker 32.8gr slugs have a very large hollow point and these were some new slugs that Dale sent me to try with an even larger hollow point. The HP's size combined with the very soft lead and shot placement blew the squirrel almost in half. He was only attached by a small piece of skin. Gnarly! We were totally shocked by the amount of damage!

My boys and I shoot lots of digger squirrels because they make so many holes in the pasture which are very dangerous for the horses. Most kills are between 30yds-70yds and if they're much farther than that, we just leave them. Foxes, coyotes, or birds will scavenge them by the next morning. We've seen some massive damage but like I said, I didn't expect a slug from a .25 air gun to almost blow it in half at 120yds. 

I love testing .25 slugs and am absolutely amazed at their exterior ballistics and terminal performance. Although we've seen huge leaps and bounds in performance lately, we are in for some great performance advancements in the next couple of years! With the power we're getting out of Impacts, Veterans, Crickets, Prophets and other new guns in .25 caliber and everyone getting in on slug production, long distance hunting and shooting is going to get crazy!!! 

I hope you all have a great day, despite all the craziness! Stoti

Angel--- How's it going bud? Sorry, we didn't even take a picture. It was nasty. Did you see my response to your post about the mysterious slugs? I responded but it was much after when you posted it. Those were some of the slugs I sent to you for testing when I bought your Accu Tac.

YO baby--- One of the very few advantages of living out in the sticks vs. you with lots of people nearby...We have a 3 minute drive to get to our permanent range, it's very safe and not a soul around. We do have some of the modern amenities though! We're not animals!!! 😉

Stoti

1593629350_6662164345efcdaa6d18402.56661938.jpg

This is crazy, the reason we have a Porta Potty on the property is because here in Nor Cal. large gatherings are still prohibited. The church members in our small community wanted to have Sunday service so they set up an area in this large pasture where all of the parishioners can sit in their cars, all spaced out properly, listen to the pastor who preaches and the choir who sing from the small knoll above the pasture. The parishioners can watch, while listening to the sermon on their car radios and not have to be in contact with other people. They needed a Porta Potty, so now the boys and I have our own private shooting range with all the amenities. Every time we use it we have to break the seal off of the toilet paper. I think it's cleaned once a week and my boys and I are the only ones that have ever used it. Like I said, we're not animals!

Stoti

Excellent recap Sir...

Your son is a sharp shooter just like his dad I see...haha.

Your Impact MK2 is shooting them VK 32.8g slugs @ 990 fps @ 71.4 fpe @ the muzzle. I estimate 40 fpe on impact on that lil furball at 120 yards which is more devastating w/ the VK hollow point slugs going that fast...

Here's a hilarious prairie dog shooting video of what prob happened to y'alls victim:

Watch "PD19.4 Suppressed Prairie Doggin'" on YouTube https://youtu.be/ZGoc5dedDGI

Please tell your son congrats on the long distance kill...

Be safe & blessed...