• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Holy cow at the goop!!

Took the TX200 apart yesterday for its first good cleaning and boy what a goopy lube job on the factory spring. Like all new springers it was filthy inside and out.....not any more. Clean, polished, new spring kit, new piston seal, re-lubed with good moly paste and ready to go. Check out this goop.......

a.1645148561.jpg

Thats some yucky crap there.....LOL

As steve-1 said it does not look dirty so is likely fine.

Some greases, like black tar grease as open gear lube is often referred to, stick well to surfaces and are not flung off by rapidly moving gears and springs. These are sometimes used in springers to limit the twang and spring rattle.

So, in my opinion, that looks like a fairly good grease they used there.

For lubrication and rust prevention the factory goop wont hurt, that is what it is there for.. However Much to sloppy as a dampening grease, that goop will just migrate all over the inside and work its way up onto the seal and cause dieseling. I guess the bigger question is....did you find any metal chips??? When I was working on guns it was fairly often I found metal chips floating around inside and those would not be good over time. 

Mine looked nothing like that.

Really? Every springer I have, all my Weihrauch's were really dirty and had nasty grease on the springs. I have to admit though, this TX had some really nasty goop!

Mine wasn't dirty and only had (to my eye) one type of grease on it, and not near as much, yours appears to have two. I did clean mine well and deburred it. When I installed the Vortek spring kit I just used a light coating of Moly grease on the spring. The rifle shoots with a solid whack and no vibration.

Mine looked nothing like that.

Really? Every springer I have, all my Weihrauch's were really dirty and had nasty grease on the springs. I have to admit though, this TX had some really nasty goop!

Mine wasn't dirty and only had (to my eye) one type of grease on it, and not near as much, yours appears to have two. I did clean mine well and deburred it. When I installed the Vortek spring kit I just used a light coating of Moly grease on the spring. The rifle shoots with a solid whack and no vibration.

I did the same. I installed a Vortek spring kit and used a fairly light coat of Moly grease as well. I haven't mounted the scope yet. Will get around to that this weekend. But I did shoot it probably 15-20 times to see what the firing cycle felt like and am pleased with it. Just like you, it has no vibration and the cycle has a very quick thud with very little recoil. It should be a real good shooter.