Holding out on a 'Want'...

Ever see an airgun listed at what you feel is a fair price that REALLY speaks to you? I've been eyeing one that either 1. isnt 'that' great of a deal or 2. perhaps there is something I just dont know about it, but holy smokes I want it.

I can afford it, but cant justify it. I've held out for a relist on it and then it relisted and I'm still holding out. Curious how you all deal with these 'impulse buys'. Do you jump immediately or do you finally get broken down and buy?... or perhaps you just treat it like the hot redhead from years ago and try to put it out of your head?

Wont divulge the ad here because sure as I do, I'll decide to get it only to find one of you scoundrels has snapped it up. The last gun like this that I waited on and lost out on was one that was not impulse, but rather one I swore up and down I would buy if I found. An old style BSA Lightning. Saw one listed here, pondered for a day and decided to get it and ...it was gone. I havent had that same long time lusting over this other gun and in fact, until I saw the ad, had heard of it, but never even looked at one.

If on a definite wants list I will jump if meets my criteria, especially if not a common one. Will have done all the pondering, deciding well before hand.

If it catches my eye, intrigues me, I’ll ponder, research, decide if it rises to level of definite want. If I miss out not a big deal, wasn’t a want to start with.

I know that feeling. When I retired I decided to buy whatever I want but, sell something first. I will have to downsize eventually anyway, this house is too big for us now the kids are gone. It was hard to let some old friends go at first but I haven't wanted to buy any back.

Like @CharlieF said "Buy it, try it, and if you don’t like it, resell it here."

Last edited:
I feel your pain Rob. Happens all the time, so I end up with more guns than I have time to shoot. I have just so much time to divy up between them and I’m retired. I do not want to be a collector. My strategy now is buy one, sell one. It seems to be working. It makes me think hard about giving up a loved one for just any new honey. 🤣😂

@Rob_in_NC I go through that often enough. Then I am reminded of other things I’d like to do or need and refrain from making an impulsive purchase. I also have more guns than I can shoot as it is. At this point I’m more concerned with having complete setups for various applications and really dialing in the guns that I have. That keeps me content most of the time.

Reactions: bdzjlz
Ever see an airgun listed at what you feel is a fair price that REALLY speaks to you? I've been eyeing one that either 1. isnt 'that' great of a deal or 2. perhaps there is something I just dont know about it, but holy smokes I want it.

I can afford it, but cant justify it. I've held out for a relist on it and then it relisted and I'm still holding out. Curious how you all deal with these 'impulse buys'. Do you jump immediately or do you finally get broken down and buy?... or perhaps you just treat it like the hot redhead from years ago and try to put it out of your head?

Wont divulge the ad here because sure as I do, I'll decide to get it only to find one of you scoundrels has snapped it up. The last gun like this that I waited on and lost out on was one that was not impulse, but rather one I swore up and down I would buy if I found. An old style BSA Lightning. Saw one listed here, pondered for a day and decided to get it and ...it was gone. I havent had that same long time lusting over this other gun and in fact, until I saw the ad, had heard of it, but never even looked at one.
I end up looking through the guns, scopes, parts that I have that I may not use anymore or not as much because something else has my eye and I either sell or trade till I can get the equivalent or within 80% of what I need to get it and then I spend the "small amount" of extra cash to get it. If I dont enjoy it, I trade it or sell it lol.

Honestly I'm on the same boat, haha been eyeing one particular sale for a bit.

On the other hand I saw a post today and immediately tried to jump on it but someone got to before me, wasn't even up for a half hour lol.

I did the dithering routine on a scope that was listed a while back. price was good and I am fond of the brand and model. I already have one but this was a newer model with increased magnification.
I hemmed and hawed over it too long then decided to just pull the trigger. Went to the ad to see ti had sold while I monkeyed around. If you want it and you are agreeable to the price and can comfortably afford it? Just buy it.

I feel your pain Rob. Happens all the time, so I end up with more guns than I have time to shoot. I have just so much time to divy up between them and I’m retired. I do not want to be a collector. My strategy now is buy one, sell one. It seems to be working. It makes me think hard about giving up a loved one for just any new honey. 🤣😂
My thoughts and practice 100%. Even with being retired I spread myself amongst a couple of non airgun activities too.
What I have… I shoot.

Reactions: scottblair
I'm with you Rob. I already own 6 pcps , and 6 other action air guns.. I shoot them all................but, I have watching an ad for a gun that I have been wanting to try.
The seller lowered the price by $100 every time the ad renewed. Monday, it hit the magic spot for me and I jumped on it. I'll get to know it and if It's a keeper, so be it. If not , it will become someone else's treasure.

Great replies, folks... truth is, despite being in this game for a long time, I never considered the point of 'just buy it and if you dont like it, sell it' When I buy, selling is the furthest thing from my mind.

I keep going back to the same logic others have said regarding 'already having too many guns' (I know...is there such a thing?) but truth told, this gun would do nothing that my others currently do, other than scratch a (hopefully temporary) itch.

I'll likely piss and moan over it and go back to look until someone else buys it and then it'll be out of my head but was just wondering how the rest of you addicts deal with these types of situations.

Regarding the CFO, I guess I'm lucky there. Her advice to me would be the same as my advice to her in such situations 'Just get it...that's why we work and bust our asses'. :ROFLMAO:

Great replies, folks... truth is, despite being in this game for a long time, I never considered the point of 'just buy it and if you dont like it, sell it' When I buy, selling is the furthest thing from my mind.

I keep going back to the same logic others have said regarding 'already having too many guns' (I know...is there such a thing?) but truth told, this gun would do nothing that my others currently do, other than scratch a (hopefully temporary) itch.

I'll likely piss and moan over it and go back to look until someone else buys it and then it'll be out of my head but was just wondering how the rest of you addicts deal with these types of situations.

Regarding the CFO, I guess I'm lucky there. Her advice to me would be the same as my advice to her in such situations 'Just get it...that's why we work and bust our asses'. :ROFLMAO:
specially this last line . ( I would have bought it before this whole thread started .)