Holding my breath or should I say my air. Daystate Type 2 is down

I agree that Daystate's painting of the compressor was a poor idea, and reduces the ability of the airflow to cool the compressor. My mechanical engineering expert friends tell me that in the presence of a good airflow the radiative component is not important, but the layer of insulation on the fins is not helping things.

I've seen that many manufacturers occasionally have issues with counterfeit components or materials that get into the supply chain despite efforts to control it. We definitely experienced this many times in procurements in mechanical, electrical and electronics parts even from reputable first line vendors. We could not get pure copper wire or proper graded bolts at one project we were running in China - we eventually had to ship wire, nuts and bolts to the project because they could not get proper components there locally. The supply chains are full of issues. We even received counterfeit electronics directly from network equipment giant Cisco, and counterfeit bolts were found almost everywhere.

The Coltri products were designed and manufactured long before we started using them for Airguns. Many are in service compressing natural gas for cars, we don't hear about garages blowing up (which would make great news). The pricing has come down and and competition has caused pressure on the cost management of the components and production. QA is one area that always gets pushed. One friend of mine is a Quality Engineer and when things are running well he often finds himself out of a job. They love him when he is fixing things but they quickly forget when things are running well. So we have purchasers working hard to save a buck on parts and machining, and less QA. Why did the valve crack here? Probably bad material, incorrect machining or other production flaws and inadequate QA. Perhaps the purchaser found some cheaper material, or a lower cost vendor. It happens all too frequently.

Heat is definitely a problem, but when things are designed and built to handle it we hardly worry about it and rarely have trouble. The exhaust system of a car is pretty hot, but running it for hours is rarely a problem. it is a problem if there are materials or manufacturing errors. Lots of these compressors run without trouble, so this indicates the design must be fundamentally reasonable. Some fail, that likely indicates the implementation is inconsistent.

Guys. Seems to me there is a need to shorten and summarize and perhaps talk down to average reader so he can get the information needed. As an example why not just say. Daystate shouldn’t paint their compressors black because it makes them run hotter. Or the longer you run them and the higher pressures you require them to achieve the more likely they are to fail . “ Some fail likely indicating the implementation is inconsistent” Come on now. That’s just trying to show off how smart you are. Stuff breaks when it’s not made right works better. 😶

BUT the pictures are good . 😑

Yes this thread really went down the rabbit hole. I really only wanted to share that I was bummed because of the breakdown, that Nuvair was able to provide tech support and parts quickly, and that the repair was not really tough to complete. A picture is worth a thousand words, so they are always good to explain things....lol

Air is free until you start compressing it and they higher you go the more expensive it gets....lol The one thing I am doing now is running the compressor unloaded for a cool down cycle for a little while after disconnecting a filled tank. Will it matter...dont know but it can't hurt.

Loren glad you agree. Couple things . AOA sent me a new compressor head when mine failed out of warranty so I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for them . However I reported a suspicion that my compressor wasn’t right from the beginning and that may have been the reason. Secondly their tech told me they were having trouble getting parts and that they had some some personnel issues which had them backed up for repairs. When I received the compressor head I was instructed as to how to run a break in ( I had NO instruction or paper work with the unit when I first received it. Part of that break in suggested a warm up and cool down. I’m going to follow that procedure, change oil often and I am not going to fill my tank to the maximum. The compressor is there I have no need to bring the tank up to it’s maximum of 4500 psi when the guns run at a much lower pressure. Sure I’ll have to fill more often but it would have to extend the life of the machine . Those last 500 psi really are the costly ones .

Daystate shouldn’t paint their compressors black because it makes them run hotter. Or the longer you run them and the higher pressures you require them to achieve the more likely they are to fail .

That's the theory I have -- all the long words were trying to support that theory. Well said above. It's also why I keep window shopping SCBA tanks only to go "Nope, the 90 cu-in works just fine for your use case and reduces run times to top offs being less than ~10 minutes including the warm up and cool down cycle."

Wow ... that is a lot of crap buildup for only 17 hours! I have to say that I haven't seen that amount of burned oil on anything that has less than 100 hours! Oil changes are your friend. For 3000 psi scuba users, I recommend 25 hours at the longest for the MCH6. For the 4500 psi users, I think 15 hours would be more appropriate. I suggest you watch your oil closer so that doesn't happen again. It is a shame that they didn't discuss that with you.

Ray Contreras - Owner - CompressorStuff.com

I’m just starting Tech class at Alkin and studying Thermal Dynamics on my own more in depth.

I went with Alkin for several reasons. 

1. 2 year full warranty buyer pays shipping but I’m 1.5 hours from plant.

2. Alkin has The US Navy contract and Alkin is who donated compressors to Search & Rescue for boys trapped in flooded cave system.

3. 100% cycle duty time. I’m never going to be running it 10 hours straight; but good to know it’s backed by guarantee to do so for at least 2 years or they wouldn’t have it. 
4. lowest, coolest runner at 1050rpm’s. I have the 220 3 stage and it’s quiet. I’m gonna do a video in 4th week of this November when I complete Technician school.

I wasn’t aware of Daystate/Coltri offering a 4 stage. I looked at Arctic 4 stage. That’s a $20K block alone. Their 3 stage is $9K. In the highest end of compressors you have In alphabetical order Arctic, Bauer, Eagle, Mako. Older Walter Kidde & Ingersoll Rand were tanks but today, those 4 are usually considered top. 

I’m close enough & opportunity knocked. I’m disabled and can only do so much. I represent Alkin but I don’t have a web site. I’ll be listed on theirs come 2020. Being limited by income I’m only allowed to list MSRP. I’d rather sell more, make less, and if within that month my limit is reached, any further profits will be divided between Valor House, AGN & GTA. 

Honestly I don’t miss hand pumping and still love spring guns. I’m interested in long range slugs, which pretty much would require a compressor, step down in-line reg for the type of shooting I’d even want to bother with if at all. I don’t blame anyone for going for less expensive. If I compare my Mid to high end guns, I used my mids more. $30K since 2011. I would have been better off with a decent machine shop. So I’m trying to do that now and help my 9 children and guys that want a dependable affordable compressor. Oh, and I can finance if you wish to apply. Anything else you must contact by phone# given via PM. 
I hope I’m not violating anything but I’ve publicly declared I’m trying to help Vets & donating to our forum & GTA who’s got a huge kick in the cojones as web host is hiking price 600%. Advertising was/is free there. I don’t advertise but want to help anyone this hobby helps by proxy in any way. 

Also any Vets, Police, 1st Responders and Disabled persons get an extra discount through me. I’m giving back as some gave and helped me, or I wouldn’t be here now.
1573469208_8318497285dc93c1853a9d8.41691098_B12FBBC8-1EB3-4704-BE52-023684B355D4.jpeg

Heat is your biggest enemy next to catastrophic structural failure should anything be faulty such as safety valves. They’re there to save you from hydro lock should it occur. I went “cheap” and got the W31E Mariner instead of the W32E Mariner that has auto everything & gauges on 2nd, 3rd stage. I’m not worried because it’s set to drain every 5 minutes. My 44cf is topped off from 2500-4500 in 3 minutes. I warm up 1 minute and pressure builds. I watch tank gauge climb, then close off main valve & bleed. I’m done within 5 minutes. That’s good and bad as this compressor is meant to run at temp for long times. Even to fill banks of big 220-440cf Nitrogen size cylinder banks. So I look at it as overkill I didn’t need but as a Deaker/Technician I have to have one.