Hold sensitivity demonstrated

At least this is how hold sensitivity affects my shooting from sitting, the position I use both for practice/fun and also for occasional hunting, Two rifles are compared, the FWB 300s, and the new FWB Sport. I consider both to have the same inherent accuracy, but with the 300s having as little hold sensitivity as possible in a springer. Everything else was the same: shooter, conditions and degree of effort. I am very familiar with both rifles, and both had been zeroed on previous days at 25 yards. There will be no surprises here for experienced springer shooters, so this is being posted mostly for newer shooters who have wondered how hold sensitivity affects overall accuracy.

The 300s groups are as you would expect, similar in size and group placement except where I adjusted up for the last group. The first shot did go a little high, and I have no explanation for that.

The Sport groups show the group spoilers that are the biggest problem I have caused by hold sensitivity. Those two left shots in the first group just got away from me. But once I settled in, groups started tightening and actually came close to what I was getting from the 300s today. There is also a suggestion of groups moving around, left to right in this case, which is another problem I attribute to hold sensitivity. The bottom line is that hold sensitivity does not affect ultimate accuracy as much as it does consistency. Although if I had shot the 300s a little longer I would have started getting some groups in the 0.25-0.35" range, which would be very rare indeed from the Sport, at least with me shooting it.

I hope some find this interesting.

P6020173.1654218568.jpg

Just because a hold sensitive gun can be shot accurately, doesn't mean it's worth the trouble. Although I'll never give up my springers, I can understand the appeal to PCPs. Some guns require too much concentration to be practical, much less fun. When shooting requires ridiculous amounts concentration to be mildly accurate it's no longer enjoyable. 

Just because a hold sensitive gun can be shot accurately, doesn't mean it's worth the trouble. Although I'll never give up my springers, I can understand the appeal to PCPs. Some guns require too much concentration to be practical, much less fun. When shooting requires ridiculous amounts concentration to be mildly accurate it's no longer enjoyable.

Dont agree here. My "hold sensitive" springers required a learning curve, especially my asp20. Once I've mastered them, they don't require ridiculous amounts of concentration, just repeatable holds.

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my springers. Paying attention to all the small details makes me a more proficient shooter....it's akin to shooting extreme distances...all the small details count, and it's so rewarding to master them!

Reactions: JEFFPPC
Mycapt, I have to agree. A rifle that is too fussy is no longer fun to shoot. Nothing is more frustrating than a rifle that teases you with a good group every now and then, and you can't figure out what you did differently, or how to repeat it. Fortunately the Sport is not like that, even if you don't get it quite right the shot won't be off by much, and making sure you don't skip any steps in your mental check list will bring it back on line. I can't do that with all springers, which is why several have gone on to become someone else's problem.

Actually I was prompted to make this post after being reminded just how utterly relaxing it can be to shoot something like my 300s. All you have to do is practice your shooting fundamentals: establish natural point of aim, relax, squeeze, and follow through. Can get a little boring though, which is why I keep playing with basic springers, more shooter involvement in the outcome.