Hogzilla Down!

Nice pig! Where did you place your shot, back of the head, spine or heart? I recall reading a debate where a hunter was talking about taking pig and deer with his .223, another reader admonished him saying that the choice of caliber was too small to use ethically. The .223 guy said his animals all dropped where they were, the secret being to know the gun, how the round performs, placement of the shot and discipline to wait for the shot to present itself. The second guy went ballistic (poor choice of words) and linked all kinds of articles and alleged the .223 guy was a fraud as the .223 is prone to ricochet off shoulder and breast plate, the only other option is to shoot the head and no one would do that as it ruins the trophy. The .223 guy responded that he only takes head shots as he is hunting for food not some trophy. I really liked that as I like your well written account as it supports my belief that a round only needs to be powerful enough to penetrate the brain pan where the skull is thinnest. Careful aim and "pop", Bacon! Love it. 

"Gunnertrones"
Only 6 years ago when I started Hunting with PCPs Hog hunting was strictly a Big Bore thing, I Never found any reference of Hog Hunting with small bores in my initial reserches so My 1st Air rifles where .357 Career Ultra, Sam Yang .45 and DAQs 9mm .452 and .50

When I got my 1st Rainstorm .22 I was impressed by the power and started testing for penetration on hard materials,

My testing made me confident that I could take Hogs with a precise shot, and I did :) I took a lot, I mean a lot of criticisms in the Airgun forums in the beginning
.... but it's been all downhill from there, I probably took more Hogs ( and Big ones too ) with .22s and .25s

Now we know more about the capability of modern PCP

"EddieB"Just wow! BTW, did you take pictures of the pellet entry?

Yes I did 

1569208597_12527607135d8839152f1f70.92814388_fullsizeoutput_6a.jpeg

1569208638_1622966415d88393eac69c4.57206283_fullsizeoutput_2c4.jpeg

Great story Michael and nice pictures of the terrain there. Looks like it changes quite a bit with elevation and really thick in places, makes for interesting hog hunts for sure. Those Benjamin domes are no joke. I remember it was manny talking about how well they penetrate on game, which got me to try them. And they are accurate at speeds most pellets go nuts at. Nice hog and good shooting.