Hogzilla Down!

Ok, I just checked out your post. Then went and made myself some breakfast and processed it. 

This is a big animal with tusks, one that could quite easily do you harm. And you’re shooting it with an air gun, on the ground, at 25 yards. (25 cal) And you’re basically shooting off hand, supporting the rifle completely with only your body. That must’ve been such a rush. I get extremely excited when any buck deer comes anywhere near my stand bow hunting. I would imagine this would be 10x, at least..This is a kin to taking dangerous game in Africa. Something I’m honestly not signing up for at this point in life.

Are your pigs less aggressive than the stories I hear about mainland hogs ? ( i’m up north, we have no hogs...yet). I watched Manny’s posts many years ago on the yellow forum, always a kick. It seems the hogs would be the perfect game. But HogZilla, does seem to be in a different league. My impression is, if he turned his head right when you pulled the trigger, and you bounced it off his skull in a non-leathal manner, That you could have one angry hog heading your way in a big hurry. Thoughts? I’m not even talking about a bad shot, I’m talking about life intervening. Maybe he sniffs another pig right at that moment and turns his head quickly... maybe he sniffs you. 

Anyway, great story. Certainly made my morning!

congrats!

mike 

Ok, I just checked out your post. Then went and made myself some breakfast and processed it. 

This is a big animal with tusks, one that could quite easily do you harm. And you’re shooting it with an air gun, on the ground, at 25 yards. (25 cal) And you’re basically shooting off hand, supporting the rifle completely with only your body. That must’ve been such a rush. I get extremely excited when any buck deer comes anywhere near my stand bow hunting. I would imagine this would be 10x, at least..This is a kin to taking dangerous game in Africa. Something I’m honestly not signing up for at this point in life.

Are your pigs less aggressive than the stories I hear about mainland hogs ? ( i’m up north, we have no hogs...yet). I watched Manny’s posts many years ago on the yellow forum, always a kick. It seems the hogs would be the perfect game. But HogZilla, does seem to be in a different league. My impression is, if he turned his head right when you pulled the trigger, and you bounced it off his skull in a non-leathal manner, That you could have one angry hog heading your way in a big hurry. Thoughts? I’m not even talking about a bad shot, I’m talking about life intervening. Maybe he sniffs another pig right at that moment and turns his head quickly... maybe he sniffs you. 

Anyway, great story. Certainly made my morning!

congrats!

mike 

Small ones are pretty skittish, large ones can be quite aggressive when cornered or approached. Ideally I like to have something in between me & the pig (or shoot from an elevated position). Spot & stalk isn't ideal for this kind of game. A mere 60 fpe definitely wouldn't stop a charging boar. If it spotted me (and charged) before I could take a shot I most certainly would've high tailed it up a tree! 

Michael, great hunting story and pictures! Now tell me about the skull. How did you treat it the way you did ? I can clearly see the pellet entry point just behind the left eye socket. That part of the skull looks quite thin and is not much that protects the control tower. Nice shot !

I started by placing the skull in our composter. The bugs took care of almost all the meat.
Then I did sort of a “European” method. I used a high pressure burner and boiled the skull (with a scoop of Oxyclean) in a metal garbage twice for 30-45 minutes. I hosed it off in between and used misc tools/brushes to get every last bit of visible debris.
Then I soaked it in a 1/20 solution of bleach water for 30 minutes. Finally I sent it off to get hydro-dipped.

Michael, great hunting story and pictures! Now tell me about the skull. How did you treat it the way you did ? I can clearly see the pellet entry point just behind the left eye socket. That part of the skull looks quite thin and is not much that protects the control tower. Nice shot !

I started by placing the skull in our composter. The bugs took care of almost all the meat.
Then I did sort of a “European” method. I used a high pressure burner and boiled the skull (with a scoop of Oxyclean) in a metal garbage twice for 30-45 minutes. I hosed it off in between and used misc tools/brushes to get every last bit of visible debris.
Then I soaked it in a 1/20 solution of bleach water for 30 minutes. Finally I sent it off to get hydro-dipped.

Really nice job Michael! Beautiful conversation piece !

Really interesting read and a great shot! When my brother-in-law use to kill his pigs he would use a .22 Long and shoot straight on the brain, above the eyes on the flat spot. Where you shot, the skull looks to be thinner. I will definately keep this story in mind if I get the chance to shoot one. You did take a chance in this situation, but prevailed, the best feeling in the world! Be careful going forward, I really like and appreciate the work you do on this website.

In Europe they have wild boar, they have reached plague proportions in some countries where they are entering towns at night and even buildings. The population is almost out of control and every country is being asked to reduce the numbers

The European species hate humans with a vengance, given a chance they always run away, but when hunted humans become their prime target. 

Watch the video and see what the boar does when it had the hunter is on his knees and what it takes to knock one down even with Brenneke slugs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6oQ1eWCPU

Take a shot on my knee, no way Jose!