• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HogKillers target rich permission, minutes from home.

Found out today about a property, not really very large, maybe 2 acres infested, with ground squirrels. Lots of stuff to hide behind and if my math is right, my Sapsan with the red-dot would be perfect, 35 yards max shots. Will need to be VERY CAREFUL, houses all around the property. Can hardly wait for this one.

Dot Ave.jpg

HogKiller it appears Christmas has indeed come early for you.
Thankfully sometimes those ole cosmic stars seem to lineup just right delivering such opportunities to us humble morals. :cool:
I found out about this from my tree guy. Seems the guy is going on vacay for a few weeks so it'll be a bit before we can chat. I'm planning on going back to my Horsemans permission on Monday, another target rich environment but way more difficult.

Reactions: SHOMER
Sometimes the airgun goddess smiles upon us. I've been trying, on and off to get slugs to work and they generally SUCK. I offered a small sacrifice, I'm going to miss my youngest granddaughter but.....it must have worked

Ok, today I bit the slug, figuratively, not literally. Cranked #1 on my Mav .22 Compact up to 150bar, cranked #2 up to 130 bar, moved my HSA out to 20.0mm for starters, as a note, one full turn = 1mm. STOCK Hammer and Spring. Slug Probe and Slug on the transfer port. FX/RMR 22gr slugs, 25 yards. started shooting and moving the HSA until speeds fell of of 930fps, backed it off and tweaked a touch.

Shot count: 10
Low: 921
Hi: 942
Avg: 930
Spread: 21
STD Dev: 7.5

Sound was a nice Pffffffttttt, no extra air.

#9 and #14 are the last groups 25 yards, occasionally I'd get 5 in a hole then something would head off. I'm calling this good. Monday I'm going to try for squirrels at my Horsemans permission. If anyone has the BC for these besides .8 please let me know. It's .093 according to the RMR website
. IMG_2243.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice tune and shooting! Slugs can be a fickle undertaking!
As I stated a small sacrifice must be made.

That said, I figured WTH and shoved some 26 gr FX/RMR Hydrids in my .25 Maverick 600 VP. 120bar #2 same setup I use for 33.95gr JSB MKII's Normal speed for them is 890fps

Slug Probe, NOT PIN, and Slug Port.

Shot count: 14
Low: 944
Hi: 951
Avg: 948
Spread: 7
STD Dev: 2.2

I'm not messing with a darn thing, I'm DONE, I can shoot anything out of my VP now. Tomorrow is another Ground Squirrel day so, both of my Mavericks are going for an outing.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I too tuned my RAW .22 for pellets and slugs on the same tune (so I understand you).....it was daunting but manageable, awesome job there, nice numbers.
Quite honestly i just literally stumbled into it. My tune worked very well for 33.95 and 26's, so, I figured what the heck lets toss in some 26gr hybrids and ok, they worked, take the win and go splat ground squirrels.

Todays adventure at the Horsemans Assoc. Note to self, self, wear a wider brimmed hat or take an umbrella, sun in eyes is hard to see the reticle. I'm not sure this is all of them, my editing software kept bombing out so I finally just said phooey on it. Maverick .22 Compact 22gr Hybrids, 50 to 110 yards. Well I. did have a video but, it's not uploading, stay tuned. Ahhhh, RTFI, 200mb video limit, got it.

Last edited:
Wahoo, heard from the tenent of the local property minutes from my home, I think I'll call it "The Dot". He's back on Monday so....I'll hopefully meet up this week, I've done some Google earthing around the property and it's way different than the Horsemans, no long sight lines, stuff laying around and small trees. I'm hoping that it'd be good for my Sapsan which currently has a red-dot with magnifier, good to 30 yards or so, worse comes to worse I'll pull the UTG Bugbuster off of my Nitro. The Sapsan is way lighter than my Maverick Compact and should be ok from the shoulder or with a bi-pod. Of course, no scope no videos....Hmmmm I've got a cheap version of a GoPro, have to see if i can duct tape it on and get it to work.

Heard about the other possible permission aka The Barn, owner has the Fauci Flu so on hold for a bit on chatting or even seeing if she's open to it. Funny thing about The Barn, did a Google Earth of the area and...it DOESN'T EXIST. So not sure when the area was mapped or when The Barn was put up but it's been there for quite awhile.

Reactions: 850renxrs